“Total Disney luxury”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #34 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is the full package holiday. From the moment we arrived, after a long haul flight from Australia, we enjoyed every minute of our stay. There is a special, magical feeling at this hotel, from the Disney cosmetics, to super friendly staff from all over the world, to the newly adopted wrist band technology that gives you access to room, restaurants, theme parks and shopping. The animals on the savanna are beautiful and a great experience for the kids to get up close to these species. Kadani village for dinner is a real treat, some of the best food we ate in Orlando. The pool and jacuzzis were fantastic, great relief for kids and adults after long exhausting days at Disney. The Disney resorts just make Disney so easy, with transport between parks, and make a trip to the other side of the planet entirely unforgettable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank BelindaSmith
Write a ReviewReviews (7,092)

Reviewed 10 November 2013

OK rooms but a very nice hotel, good pool with slide for the kids. Both restaurants were good, really enjoy breakfast and the fine dinning restaurant.

Good location, sometime the buses seams to be slow picking you up from the parks but outward we never waited long.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lawrence T
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just came back from 4 nights at AKL and have to say it is beautiful. Having been in East Africa last year on safari, the lodge does give you an east african feel and ambiance. The pool is great as well as the viewing sites of the animals. The rooms are standard size, ours had a very creaky bunk bed. The bathroom area was large but the toilet/shower were tiny and really needed to be bigger. Our biggest issue is that the safe sucked. It was an upright safe that was about 4 inches wide and 11 inches tall. hardly enough room to put an ipad and your passports. let alone a camera!! Really disney should not have cheaped out with this. The other issue I have is the lack of healthy options for food, espeically for those on the dining plan. The "unlimited" mugs are great but not when caffeinated/soda drinks are your only options. Come on Disney, why encourage the obesity epidemic in your country. Yes I know water was an option but you could smell the chlorine off the water. Despite these, it is a great hotel but be aware it is the furthest from all the parks so account time for travel via the shuttle buses.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dmgirl66
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Simply put I was overcharged for a "deluxe" room and mislead as to which resort to stay in by Disney's less than adequate associates. When confronted with the numerous problems we had encountered the manager at the lodge offered to comp our room for 1 night's stay. I paid an enormous amount for a dated room that was clean, but very small and not well stocked. The bed was awful, the bathroom was a joke, we even had to step into the shower to close the door. And this was a Deluxe room! 1 step down from a suite which was also a joke.
I've stayed at a lot of resorts and hotels all over the world. I would rate these accommodations the same as an old motel room that was cleaned well.
We expected much more from the Magic Kingdom. To be fair I gave Disney plenty of opportunity to change our mind, they simply didn't care.
DO NOT STAY HERE. If you must see Disney, stay off resort and visit whichever park for a day or so and see the other parks. That way you're not stuck on Disney...

Room Tip: Don't call Disney for help they will not be truthful with you.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank WanderingBB
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at Kidani Village in a 1-bed villa using our DVC membership. Check-in was quick and friendly but I had to ask specifically about the parking as we had never been there before and didn’t realise parking was available on the ground level actually under the hotel but the entrance was before the turn off to the lobby. This shady parking was a godsend on the hot August days but when we were there over a busy weekend we found that we had to park quite a distance from the main building as there were not enough covered spaces.

Our room was spacious with lots of Disney touches like Hidden Mickeys in the carpets and Lion King designs on the furniture. However the African themed décor made the room seem quite gloomy and I wasn’t that keen on it. The room was well equipped with a sofa bed and chair bed in the lounge and two bathrooms so would comfortably sleep 5 people.

We had a Standard View which was quite near the lobby on the top but one floor and we looked out over a small area of parking and the trees surrounding the pool. I am not bothered by views so this seemed fine to us until we realised how incredibly noisy the pool was. With pool games all afternoon and a film in the evening we just couldn’t enjoy our balcony at all. We tended to go down to the lobby and go out on the Savanna side of the building and sit in the rocking chairs and enjoy the peace. I hadn’t realised how annoying I would find this so would only book Savanna View if I went again.

There is no Quick Service restaurant in Kidani which was a bit of a nuisance although there was a drinks refill station. The walk to the main building, Jambo House, was about 10-15 minutes from our room which seemed a long way on a hot, humid night after a day in the parks but it was the only place to get QS food. I believe they run a minibus between the two sites but we didn’t see it.

The pool area at Kidani didn’t seem large enough for the number of people there in peak season. People were having to spread towels on the floor or on benches as there were nowhere near enough loungers. We went over several times, even quite early in the morning and there were none to be had. I also didn’t like the enclosed feeling around the pool, I preferred the open aspect at Jambos pool and we had no trouble finding loungers there.

I enjoyed sitting and looking over the Savanna but I must admit there were not as many animals as I expected. However the firepits in the evening added a lovely atmosphere.

We had quite a few technical issues with our room keys, passes and charging whilst we were at AKL as Disney were in the process of a huge change in their computer systems. We ended up locked out of our room and the desk staff were not particularly helpful or inetrerested and as for one of the gentlemen in the shop, he was so rude he was the cause of the only official complaint I have ever made about a cast Member at WDW in ten trips!

I don’t think I will be keen to return to Kidani. I thought the location a little too far out, the room décor was too dark, the staff were not that interested (besides reception on the first night), the pool was too small and the food options too limited. Next time I will try staying at Jambo instead even though the rooms are smaller.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Meggysmum
Reviewed 7 November 2013

A true 5 star resort. Everywhere you look you will be amazed. The design is so unique that you will not see a resort like this anywhere in the world. Wake up, look our your balcony window and see giraffes, zebras, and many other animals only 20 feet away, all enjoying their natural habitat.
The swimming pool is very nice, big, quiet.
The rooms are wonderful design, impeccably clean, comfortable beds. The best room you can find in a resort.
You have to try the buffet for dinner. The food is wonderful tasting and outstanding deserts. Really worth the price.
The food court (by the pool) is the best food court of al the Disney resorts. Believe me, I have stayed at Disney resorts over 100 trips the past 26 years and stayed at all of them several times each. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is our favorite. My daughters, now 19 and 21, like this resort best. Been here 3 times and will return summer 2014.

The design is what makes it so amazing. Sit in the lobby and read a book by the fire place. Relax by the pool with easy access to the food court, drinks and watch the giraffes walk by. What a wonderful experience. I enjoy seeing my grown daughters enjoy this resort at their older age. It brings out the child in them... and fond memories I have of them as happy children at Disney resorts.
I think you will be very happy you chose this resort.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the savanna on the second floor. It is an amazing experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was the guest of a couple who are DVC members. We stayed in a room overlooking the parking lot at Kidani Village which was fine with me as it appeared that there weren't that many animals to look at on the other side of the building.

I arrived before the others and even though it was checkout time for the previous guests the lobby was packed. I was greeted almost immediately by someone with a tablet who helped check me in. The room was not ready so I checked my luggage until it was ready. There wasn't really that much to do while waiting for the room to get ready( which was 4 hours later). I walked around the property and eventually found the pool and ended up sitting down there for a little bit. I noticed that they had large towels for the swimmers, not those cheap thin ones.

The room itself was great. It was extremely clean. We had a full kitchen and the room the DVC members were in was huge. The bathroom was huge. It even had a jacuzzi tub. I was lucky enough to stay on the hide a bed couch. Believe it or not it was really comfy. I even had my own bathroom.

The only complaint I would have for this property is that it felt like it was far away from everything else. The flip side of that was; it was quiet. Buses ran quite frequently to the parks. Heard that this is only a DVC property, too bad as I would like to go back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends