“Animal Kingdom Lodge is pretty but not much else”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #34 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Lexington, KY
“Animal Kingdom Lodge is pretty but not much else”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Animal Kingdom lodge is beautiful on the inside and out the first time you see it. This was our second time to this resort and the views from inside and out do not disappoint. Our only issue with the resort this trip was customer service. Upon check in we were given the wrong directions to our room and after walking all the way (a good 1/2 mile) to the room and back to the front lobby we were not even given an apology. I really expected at least an I'm sorry about the mix up.
The room had new carpet but could have used a good scrub down to clean it well. I left dust on the hairdryer all week long just to see if housekeeping would wipe it down and nope.....it stayed there all week. I was disappointed with this resort considering how much we had to pay for it. You pay 5 star prices for a 2 star room.
If you want Disney Deluxe Hotels I would recommend Wilderness Lodge that was much better than Animal Kingdom.

Room Tip: All of the Disney transportation buses go to Kidani Village 1st then to Jumbo House picking up and d...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here for a quick one night before heading out on a Disney Cruise. This hotel is fantastic! It has all the things you would expect from a Deluxe Disney resort and the staff is pleasant and helpful.

The rooms are a decent size and having a Savannah view room is a must!! The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, absolutely everyone said hello to you.

I must recommended Boma for the breakfast buffet, so many delicious options and some different things you don't normally see. Everything new I tried I liked! French toast bread pudding is a must!

The only thing I would give as a tip is to request a room closer to the main Lobby or Pool as with most large Disney resorts the further rooms can be quite a hike. Your best bet is to book a preferred room, Don't chance trying to get an upgrade when you check in.

I highly recommend this for anyone looking for something a bit different and unique:)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Brucie35
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

In typical Disney style you are transported to the fantasy you sine up for. The authentic view from our room balcony is awesome, the animals are close and varied like being in your own zoo. The lobby is like a large tribal meeting house thatched roof and all. Everything African to the last detail. Food very authentic. Like going to Africa without the airfare.

Room Tip: 4th floor gives you the best view perspective (away from the pool)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rob v
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is a nice family hotel. The lobby is awesome.

We stayed in DVC studio. The unit was good size, a double bed with a pull out couch. My biggest complaint was that the cleaning solution that must have been used was a little smelly. Savannah view was great, definitely worth the extra money. Kids loved checking off all of the animals they saw from the balcony (almost all of them spotted).

Pools were nice but a little odd that at the big pool at Jambo house had a small slide and at the smaller pool at Kadani Village had the big slide. The food at the Kandani Village pool was not great. Had a single person microwaving sandwiches and hot dogs, definitely wouldn't eat there again. Quick service dining option at Jambo house was good.

Room Tip: Savannah view a must
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelly M
sprki
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our DVC membership for 5 nights.
The place is brilliant when you first walk in and looks amazing, very helpful staff and able to answer all questions.
We were upgraded to a Savannah view room, and we were fortunate enough to see a large number of the wildlife.
The room is a good size (being in a one bedroom suite) and despite previous protests of uncomfortable beds, I feel I slept pretty well.
We sampled the quick service restaurant on the first evening which was fine and also found the resort shop okay for a few Disney things and other essentials.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mark B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at AKL during a business trip, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms were and how friendly the staff was. This was my first time staying at a Disney Resort so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved all the little Disney details, like the Lion King characters in the lace of the curtains, and the Mickey image in the carpet. I had a standard room, which I was told I would either have a view of a roof or the parking lot, but I actually had a view of some of the land. I only ever saw steers and some birds from my balcony, but I was happy nonetheless.

One con though was how far it seemed to be from everything. I had never been to Disney World so I had no idea how massive it is, but I can say that I have never ridden so many buses in my life. My conference was at another resort, so I had to take a bus from AKL to one of the parks, and then take another bus to the other resort. The bus ride to any park besides Animal Kingdom seemed to take forever, and even going to Animal Kingdom was a hassle. After spending one day in Magic Kingdom where we were rained out, the seemingly never ending ride home on a crowded bus where I had to stand the whole time while being completely drenched was a bit of a nightmare.

The food was very unique, which I appreciate, but also sometimes I just craved a normal burger or salad without all the African/Asian influences mixed in. Jiko though was amazing and I highly recommend it, though it is very pricey. I did order room service one morning and the breakfast was good and filling, and the cast member that delivered it was very nice.

Overall I was happy with my stay, but in the future if I ever return to Orlando I would probably stay somewhere a little bit closer to everything.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank WendyLady03
CA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Please take note WE LOVE DISNEY! We have come to expect certain things from Disney as both AP holders and DVC members for several years, as well as life long visitors to Disney.

We have stayed at several Disney Properties on both Coasts. We have also done a Safari style stay in Santa Rosa California. The stay at Kidani was for the most part fabulous! The Man & I loved waking up to the animals in the morning it was amazing. I watched groundskeepers out before sunrise cleaning the grounds. We took a walk in the evening and small animals were roaming the grounds unafraid. I do not care for Zoo environments but the animals here seems so very content and happy! Its amazing considering the millions of people that come through.

The rooms are fabulous.
The décor is beautiful.

Therein ends the Good :0

Now for the Bad and Ugly....

Overall we had good castmember service. WDW castmembers are not as "Disney" as the west coast Disney castmembers. We did have a couple of great Castmembers who we notified Guest Services about because they exemplified the Disney Spirit! HA... ok that's wasn't so bad yet!

We spent very little time at the resort however and were shocked by the new Disney policy of closing the pools so early. It is understandable why-- however hundreds of thousands of pools world wide stay open past 9pm! Disney Needs to address the Adult population on this put in security fences with key cards.

When we inquired about the pool we were met with surprisingly rude behavior by the cast member.

The Pool situation and a non working DVD which we requested service on that didn't arrive until we were in bed were our only issues with the Resort.

For a "deluxe" resort it is definitely much better than their Value resorts. It is far below the quality of the Disneyland Resort hotels in service.

For a beautiful stay relaxing stay I recommend... if you have stayed at the the California Resorts just take not the service will not be the Disney Quality Walt would expect!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WeRSojourners
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!