“LOVE this place!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #34 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My sister and I stayed in the Jambo House section of the hotel and absolutely loved our stay! We had just booked a "standard view" when we made the reservation, so were not expecting a savannah view but we were pleasantly surprised when we walked into our room and saw we had one! We were in the far left corner of Jambo House, on the 2nd floor so it was a bit of a walk to our room, but considering it was a good room we did not mind! The giraffes and zebras seemed to like gathering in that corner of the savannah in the mornings, so most days we had a great view of them as we were getting ready for our day! They seemed so close to us, and we got some great photos. The room was always clean and comfy. It would have been nice if there was a microwave in there, as we couldn't reheat some leftovers we had, but it wasn't a huge deal. Staff at the hotel seemed friendly, greeting us as we would pass them in the hallways, and were always ready to answer our questions. The atmosphere of the hotel was beautiful, with different African artifacts on display. We even liked the smell of the place, my sister kept commenting on how good it was!
I would definitely recommend giving Boma, the buffet restaurant, a try for dinner! It is on the pricey side, but we both found it worth it as we had a large appetite both times we went! Such a large variety of interesting, flavourful foods, and it was fun to try new things! Probably the perfect restaurant to try new things at as since it was a buffet, if we did not like it we could always try something else! Staff there was friendly as well. I wish we had more time and had gotten to try Sanaa and Jiko, but with being at the parks most evenings we did not have the chance.
I don't know for sure, but it seemed as though this hotel is furthest away from all the parks on Disney property. Bus rides were usually at least 20 minutes, and it seemed like we saw other hotels near the parks. If you plan on getting to the parks for opening, keep this in mind! It was also quite far for cabbing to and from Universal Studios parks, about $40-45 each way. If you have the time, I think that using the free bus transportation to Downtown Disney, and then taking a taxi from there would be cheaper.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 2391 offered great views in the mornings of the savannah. Wildlife was close to us! Great room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (7,168)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

1) I recommend the Jambo house. The Jambo House (or Lodge) is quite a distance away from the Kidani Village. It’s about a 20-minute walk. I thought staying more central in the Lodge was nice. 2) Club Level was a good value. It gives you access to their concierge lounge. They do a good job keeping it stocked and have 4 different servings throughout the day. The evening desserts were particularly good. Breakfast in the lounge saved us from buying breakfast elsewhere (that adds up). We would hit the park in the morning and come back midday for the pool which afforded us the opportunity to partake in the lounge before we headed back out in the evening. 3) The balcony overlooking the Savannah was worth the money. It was nice to have them out your window.

Room Tip: Savannah balconies are worth the money. Ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BLT1991
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have been going to Disney for years and were extremely disappointed with the Animal Kingdom Lodge! Our room was dirty, leaky shower, bathroom so small you couldn't close the door if you were sitting on the toilet! The ONLY plus was the view of the animals from the small balcony. The service was lacking, poor slow room service! The whole experience was unacceptable and the cost OUTRAGEOUS! We have expressed our concerns with Disney!

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank GrandmaPoppy
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the dvc villas by renting points. It was amazing. We never wanted to leave. We didn't even want to go to the parks:). The place even smells amazing! There are fireplaces to sit all around. The room was sparkling clean and comfy. We had a great view without paying extra. The elevators are fast. The pool is amazing. Our son loved the water slide. We saw so many animals the whole time. We ate at Sanaa. It was the best meal we had our whole trip!. I could go on and on about this place. It was also so quiet! We WILL go back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank marybobo16
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My Wife and I booked the the AKL on a spur of the moment thing for our sons 5th birthday from 10th to 17th of April…We Only went to buy some trainers!.

Anyway we didn't research the place before hand but we took a gamble and it paid off.

The place is amazing, very well thought out. The staff on the front dest were very helpful and very friendly well just like all the Disney cast members.

I will try to go through everything to help anyone deciding in staying here.

We didn't book the savannah room… as like I said before we didn't know about them at the time of booking. So we had a standard room.

The rooms are large enough for a Family of 4 we had plenty of space with only 3 of us for the like of storage and TV don't forget to give your bags to the bell service in reception…but don't forget to tip.

They are tastefully decorated and of a very good standard although if you like a bath like me they are a little on the small side if your over 6ft.

As for the Savannah rooms. We got a standard room that was a good 7 minute solid walk away from the food hall and we still had a perfect view of the animals every day.
The savannahs are quite expensive to book in peak times but if you go what is classed as the off peak times they will normal give you a free upgrade.

For me personally they not worth the extra money 1. your not in your room long enough 2. if you are your normally sleeping. Obviously if they give you it for free enjoy.

They have 3 restaurants in AKL basically like all of Disney resort's 3 tiers…Cheap … Moderate …Deluxe.

We ate in the Cheap one everyday as we wanted to be out fast so it was pretty much run in grab something and go.

Bare in mind when I say Cheap it means Its just cheaper than the moderate not meal deal at boots cheap.

The food is pretty basic, The moderate is pretty much the same as the cheap normally a buffet but you get real plates not paper ones but the food is just the same.

As your staying on Disney property you will receive the magic bands when you check in these are used as your room key,fast passes ( VERY GOOD ) make reservations ( IMPORTANT ) and finally payment.

We had some slight problems with ours but we gave it the benefit of the doubt as it is a brand new system so just go see guest relations and they will fix it all for you. It has a $1500 a day limit which is linked to your credit card or if your from the UK and have a visa debit this works also, do bare in mind though if you don't clear it every couple of days like I did the final payment will be automatically deducted from your account before you check out.

Also download the My Disney Experience app for your smart phone or iPad I think its for android too. if you don't have these you can use a laptop to log in through the online version.

Use this app to make reservations at the restaurants,check the wait times in the parks, check the location of the characters for autographs, where the toilets are basically a disney sat nav it has GPS positioning so you won't get lost.

You can use this app to make dinner and lunch reservations from 180days before you go which I would recommend as the restaurants in down town disney and around the parks get very very booked up. they do accept walk ins but like everything else expect a min 1 - 2 hour wait.

The restaurants around the parks are good but the best ones are found around the hotels although some of the hidden ones are around world showcase in Epcot. and don't get me wrong some are utter pants and are very expensive for rubbish food even some of the fast food places for like burgers and hot dogs are rubbish. Think $9 for a hotdog…..or 79p from Ikea springs to mind….A few we liked were:

Liberty Tavern in MK
Wolf Gang Puck in DTD
T Rex cafe my sons favourite in DTD.
Via Napoli in Epcot.

Also if your a brit and your kids are wanting Black Current Squash like ours was go to the rose and crown in united kingdom in world showcase.

Ones we didn't like were:

Chef Mickeys in Contemporary Very Expensive Buffet.
Rain Forrest Cafe in AK
Hollywood and Vine in Disney Studios same as chef mickeys.

Also Tips 2 choices 18% or 20% on the bill now if the service is very good I love paying tips I really don't mind what I don't understand is when you go to said buffet restaurants they give you the bill with the same 2 options. when really they don't do anything to get a extra 18%.

As we did not hire a car we got transfers from the airport via a coach. we booked through Thomson they use a different company so unfortunately you don't get to use the disney magical express which look much nicer.

As for transport to the parks the system is very good the busses are frequent and you will only wait around 15-20 minutes for a bus.
Do give yourself a good hour though for reservations etc just in case. Through the day the busses are pretty quiet. obviously at park closing time its pretty manic but still efficient but be prepared to stand as they will fill the bus to capacity if your in a long que.

We also used the taxi service from outside the hotel to go shopping at one of the outlet malls we asked which one was the closest from AKL and they told us but I cannot remember.
Anyway the taxi was around $60 return….If your wanting to do it cheaper get a taxi from Down Town Disney as it was almost at $15 before we got to there from AKL…Also the outlet stores are cheap Ralph Lauren especially.

As we only had a flying vist of 7 nights we didn't manage to get to get to Universal but as the pound is good with the dollar at the minute Its cheaper to buy the tickets in the US.

7 nights is pushing it a bit but due to my work, I am only on leave for 16 days and I wanted some time at home too so we went for 7 nights, which I really would not recommend although it is doable you are constantly on the move a minimum 10 nights would be better.

Use the Extra magic hours available to your benefit and do plan a itinerary It really does help also like I said before reservations before you go are your friend if you don't want to wait for food.

We have Just booked to go back again this year for Christmas staying in Disneys Caribbean Beach Resort as we loved it so much please bare in mine I am a 6ft 1 Pipeline Welder and Disney made me all gooey inside and wanting to go back It really is magical the times you have with your family there are priceless…I am sat in my office in papua new guinea writing this singing do you wanna build a snowman in my head!!

So a quick summery.

Excellent hotel
Excellent Bus service
Food Is good but research is needed for where etc
Magic bands are excellent
Reservations are a must
Fast passes are a must
Magic Kingdom is the best and open the latest ( go to the big rides when the parades are on as there is normally a smaller wait )
Hollywood Studios is also good
Epcot excellent for food.

I hope this is honest enough review for disney and if it helps in anyway then its good enough for me.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to Reception so you don't have to walk as it can be pretty far away
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
32  Thank MrP1985
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed in Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House. The staff are superb, all were friendly, helpful and polite. The animals that wonder the grounds are lovely to watch. One morning I woke up and could see over 30 animals and birds from my baloney.

The whole thing about this hotel is the animal so a savanna view room is fantastic. All the restaurants are very nice and the Mira (quick service) has a good variety of choices. For breakfast I recommend the banana bread. It is delicious and huge.

The only negative is that this resort is quite far from everything apart from Animal Kingdom Park. This is a very minor down side as it's only about 5 minutes more on the bus.

Room Tip: Savanna view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alyssa_holidogs
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at AK Lodge, definitely get one of the Savannah View rooms if you can. The kids loved watching the animals roam by while sitting on the balcony. They have several unique experiences for guests staying there.

• Stayed: September 2013