“Club level Savannah-view Bunk-bed room on 4th floor”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #34 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Club level Savannah-view Bunk-bed room on 4th floor”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I will try to keep this as a bullet-point list:

The "Eh"....

-Everyone was polite and helpful but not overtly friendly, even though my kids had birthday pins on AND we were staying Club Level. One older cast member was extremely nice and playful and I wish I had asked his name because he deserves mentioning.
-The room had an odd smell, a mixture of humidity and moth balls. If you crank of the A/C and run the fan it goes away (or you get use to it?). Unfortunately the A/C turns itself off automatically (power saving measure) after a certain amount of time so we would return to the room and it would be 70 again (with no fan on). But ridiculously the TV was turned on every night during turn-down service even though we weren't in the room for another several hours.
-On Sunday our room still wasn't cleaned at 4:30pm when we arrived back from the park (we left for the Sunrise Safari at 6:45am). We lingered upstairs at the lounge for another hour before giving up and returning to the room at 5:30pm to find they were just finishing it. At 7:00pm we were about to leave for dinner when there was a knock at the door,...turn down service. Seriously??
-One towel animal for the entire trip. And I left a $5 tip every morning in fancy envelopes the kids decorated for Mousekeeping. With such service I seriously contemplated stopping leaving it out.
-Our room was on the 4th floor Zebra Trail, which was typical of Club Level rooms (I asked). 6th floor is the lounge. 5th/6th floors are DVC rooms. We were a hike from the lounge. Not good.
-Transportation. Ok, I went into this prepared for the worst but very hopeful that reviewers were exaggerating..... They weren't. I am sad to say that the bus transportation leaves so much to be desired. You have to add a good 20mins in addition to the hour that is already suggested when planning to be anywhere on time. And all the bus stops are far away from the parks, except at HS, where AKL is one of the stops closest to the entrance (YAY). We did not park hop (often) or enjoy mid-day breaks (like we are accustom to) because of the transportation issue.

The GOOD....

-The view. Wow, the animals were amazing. My children, DD (13) and DS (8) really loved tracking what animals we saw on the guide provided and learning some fun facts about them. I was able to take some great pictures. I can say we saw Zebras, Ostriches, Giraffes and some horned animal regularly. But there were many others too, I was just thrilled with the giraffe.
-I read people complained about the smell. On the day we arrived it had rained and there was definitely a putrid odor while on the balcony. HOWEVER.... that was a ONLY day that it really had any smell and it never traveled into the room.
-The beds were really comfortable. I was surprised after reading reviews that complained about the beds. The kids each had a bunk bed which was fantastic. I did think the room was on the smaller side, but that was ok since the kids kept their respective goodies on their own beds this time.
-The rest of the room was pretty standard as to what you would expect from one of the Deluxe room layouts.
-The pool is a basic swim around in pool. I didn't notice any real organized games and activities like at other resorts. Nothing to engage the kids. The slide was just a slide. The hot tub was spacious and in lush surroundings but it was hard to find (unless looking) which made it hard to enjoy when you have kids.

Overall, I would not cross this off my list of places to stay, but it would not be on my top repeat resort list. Club Level was definitely NOT worth it. My non-picky kids didn't like the adult food and were bored with the same kids offerings every day. I noticed that the adult appetizers were repeated every other day, and weren't terribly delicious.The staff was standoffish. There were limited tables (although granted more than at other CL lounges we have been to), but because we were SO far away from our room we ended up sitting on the floor in the kids area or worse skipping all together.

This is the first vacation we were all glad we were going home.

An experience yes, glad we stayed. But similar to other "must-do"s at WDW, now that I have the proverbial t-shirt......

Room Tip: A Savannah-view room would be the only way this resort is worth it. Bunk Beds for kids are a must!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stefamedics

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
sheffield
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a great hotel, although be prepared to walk a lot because unless you are lucky and get a room close to reception you'll have to walk miles!

It's everything you expect from Disney and real interesting if you get a Savannah view ( more money but I bet if they are not too busy they'll give you one if you ask nicely) we stayed a week here then had another 8 days at Disney beach club which we preferred because you could walk to two parks Epcot and MGM (we still call it that!) in fact that's the only downside to AKL you have to travel by car or the excellent Disney bus service to the parks, not a massive problem though.

Yes I would recommend this hotel you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Savannah view if possible
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moanalot
Rome, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my 30+ time to Disney. This time it was just my husband and I and we wanted to have a different experience from all the times we went with our children. The Animal Kingdom Lodge was beautiful. We paid the extra to have a Savannah view it was worth the extra money. As always Disney has never disappointed me! Seeing the animals right from you balcony was an experience I will never forget. The service was also excellent. I didn't like our first room as it was too close to the lobby and I didn't think I would get a good view of the animals so I asked if something else was available and they were more than happy to move us. The only downside to this was it was a hike to the lobby which I was fine with. The room was nice and quiet.
The only complaint I have is the bus service, we spent a lot of time waiting. For example we were stuck waiting in Downtown Disney for an hour to come back to our hotel. I believe this service needs some improvement to this hotel. Even with this issue I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Middle of the Sunset savannah
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn B
Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My sister and I stayed in the Jambo House section of the hotel and absolutely loved our stay! We had just booked a "standard view" when we made the reservation, so were not expecting a savannah view but we were pleasantly surprised when we walked into our room and saw we had one! We were in the far left corner of Jambo House, on the 2nd floor so it was a bit of a walk to our room, but considering it was a good room we did not mind! The giraffes and zebras seemed to like gathering in that corner of the savannah in the mornings, so most days we had a great view of them as we were getting ready for our day! They seemed so close to us, and we got some great photos. The room was always clean and comfy. It would have been nice if there was a microwave in there, as we couldn't reheat some leftovers we had, but it wasn't a huge deal. Staff at the hotel seemed friendly, greeting us as we would pass them in the hallways, and were always ready to answer our questions. The atmosphere of the hotel was beautiful, with different African artifacts on display. We even liked the smell of the place, my sister kept commenting on how good it was!
I would definitely recommend giving Boma, the buffet restaurant, a try for dinner! It is on the pricey side, but we both found it worth it as we had a large appetite both times we went! Such a large variety of interesting, flavourful foods, and it was fun to try new things! Probably the perfect restaurant to try new things at as since it was a buffet, if we did not like it we could always try something else! Staff there was friendly as well. I wish we had more time and had gotten to try Sanaa and Jiko, but with being at the parks most evenings we did not have the chance.
I don't know for sure, but it seemed as though this hotel is furthest away from all the parks on Disney property. Bus rides were usually at least 20 minutes, and it seemed like we saw other hotels near the parks. If you plan on getting to the parks for opening, keep this in mind! It was also quite far for cabbing to and from Universal Studios parks, about $40-45 each way. If you have the time, I think that using the free bus transportation to Downtown Disney, and then taking a taxi from there would be cheaper.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 2391 offered great views in the mornings of the savannah. Wildlife was close to us! Great room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

1) I recommend the Jambo house. The Jambo House (or Lodge) is quite a distance away from the Kidani Village. It’s about a 20-minute walk. I thought staying more central in the Lodge was nice. 2) Club Level was a good value. It gives you access to their concierge lounge. They do a good job keeping it stocked and have 4 different servings throughout the day. The evening desserts were particularly good. Breakfast in the lounge saved us from buying breakfast elsewhere (that adds up). We would hit the park in the morning and come back midday for the pool which afforded us the opportunity to partake in the lounge before we headed back out in the evening. 3) The balcony overlooking the Savannah was worth the money. It was nice to have them out your window.

Room Tip: Savannah balconies are worth the money. Ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BLT1991
South Daytona, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have been going to Disney for years and were extremely disappointed with the Animal Kingdom Lodge! Our room was dirty, leaky shower, bathroom so small you couldn't close the door if you were sitting on the toilet! The ONLY plus was the view of the animals from the small balcony. The service was lacking, poor slow room service! The whole experience was unacceptable and the cost OUTRAGEOUS! We have expressed our concerns with Disney!

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
18 Thank GrandmaPoppy
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the dvc villas by renting points. It was amazing. We never wanted to leave. We didn't even want to go to the parks:). The place even smells amazing! There are fireplaces to sit all around. The room was sparkling clean and comfy. We had a great view without paying extra. The elevators are fast. The pool is amazing. Our son loved the water slide. We saw so many animals the whole time. We ate at Sanaa. It was the best meal we had our whole trip!. I could go on and on about this place. It was also so quiet! We WILL go back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank marybobo16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!