“Loved my stay at AKL” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, Massachusetts
“Loved my stay at AKL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just returned home from a 6 night stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really loved this resort. I'm not a Disney expert in fact this was only my 2nd visit to Disney and first time staying in a Disney resort so I can't compare it to any of the other resorts.

I LOVED the pool I ended up starting each day with several hours at the pool. I was traveling alone so could do what I wanted! The pool is large and shaped like a watering hole. Surrounded by trees and plants it's very comfortable. Lots of chairs either in the sun or under an umbrella. A pool bar for drinks and it's near The Mara, the counter service restaurant so you can grab breakfast or lunch and eat by the pool. The lifeguards were really professional. There were 3 life guard stations and 4 guards on duty and they rotated each half hour so one was always on break. I was quite impressed with how well they did their job with visual pool checks each time they rotated to a new spot. Great job Disney life guards!

The room was comfortable and plenty big for one person. I had an Arusha view so saw lots of animals from the balcony. Loved the giraffes and zebras. So fun to watch. I had plenty of storage but I was alone. I can see how it would be tight for a family of four. You'd have to store some things in your suitcase I imagine.

I loved the food options. Jiko was expensive but the food and service were wonderful. The Mara had good options for vegetarians including a falafal sandwich and veggie flatbread. The also can customize breakfast items such as the croissant sandwich without bacon. I tried the Zebra domes everyone talks about but was not really impressed. Had breakfast at Boma, the onsite buffet. It was okay but I find all buffets to be about the same. No matter how good the food is it's not served to you that way but sits under a heating lamp. I don't normally do buffets but wanted to give it a try. I did like the French toast bread pudding with pecan sauce. Very sweet but I have a sweet tooth.

The buses for the most part were good. Only once I had to wait 35 minutes for a bus to Magic Kingdom but I think something was wrong with the buses which had nothing to do with the resort. Otherwise the wait was 20 minutes or less.

I would definitely stay here again as I enjoyed the animals so much. I did not have a problem with the lighting as others have mentioned. I also was welcomed by everyone who worked there "welcome home" was said many times. Not sure about the negative reviews regarding staff or lighting. You are supposed to be in an African lodge so it's not all bright and shiny and Mickey everywhere. I really don't think that was the objective of this resort so if you want to be hit over the head with Mickey Mouse then this probably isn't the place for you. Any background music I heard was African styled, lots of drums, not singalong songs but again, that's the intent of this resort.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Arusha view room. There are many viewing locations around the property so if you don...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jpan99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,752)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

First impressions is wow... However after a few days you start to actually see the hotel for what it is. Firstly the animals rarely can be seen so don't go to the expense of a Savanah room.
The concierge service is somewhat hit and miss; example asked for tickets for the Cirque Soleil, was told there's only a few tickets left and they were $110 each; when we got there the auditorium was half full and the tickets we could have bought on the door for a fraction of the price.
As for dining .. It's like McDs on a Saturday afternoon back home: you given a bleepers to be notified when your order will be ready for collection ! Come on is this 5 star???
The worst part and what actually spoil our stay the most, the lifeguards or should I say NYPD round the pool.
Been told to "step back sir 6 feet from the pool edge" because I was drinking water from a plastic cup. Then when I wasn't actually 6' she called her supervisor, who her and I had a stand up row about her opinion of 6' and mine. My kids were banned from the pool slide because they went down the pool slide on their stomachs after been told not too, even thou there was no signage to say they couldn't.
Another row ensued after not been able to get a sunbed due to the lack of them and when I realised people were reserving them even thou is stated you couldn't guess what the lifeguard supervisor chose to ignore this rule and told me to get out of bed 'A whole lot earlier'... 5 star!!
Another thing you're well out on a limb staying here so be prepared for a lot of travelling.
The rooms are not a 5 star standard and be prepared for the neighbouring toilets especially the room above you can hear everything and it's quite loud and woke our children on several occasions again 5 star??

• Stayed August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank M3abo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've lost count of how many times I've stayed at this hotel. Not a lot by many people's standards but a good 6-8 times. Typically club level. Well worth it. Theming is amazing. Staff are typically courteous although you can find the odd one who is not.

Disney went above and beyond with this hotel. I can't say it's perfect, but it's the one we come back to year after year. We always debate on a different one, and in the end come here.

Seeing animals on the savannah is great. Didn't have too many this time around - not sure why - but still enough to inspire some awe at seeing them.

highly recommended

Room Tip: If you can afford it - stay in a savannah room. Or at least a pool view. The pool is gorgeous and...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks (a fortnight as we Brits call it) at AKL. Overall we liked it. We were in Jambo House and my first impression was that the interior was a bit dark but you do get used to that. The room was spotless and very comfortable, my only complaint would be the bathrooms are very small and I really do not like the wash basins outside the bathroom. The strange thing was this area was quite roomy, what a waste of space it just doesn't make any sense to me. We didn't pay any extra for a Savannah view but we still got a side view and it was lovely seeing the animals every day although there was this one very noisy bird................
We all loved the swimming pool and as I am very poor swimmer I really liked the fact that after the very shallow walk in entry, it was all the same depth. I felt quite happy in there and never worried about getting out of my depth.
We were on the Disney dining plan which worked out great for us although we did seem to be eating all the time lol. The Restaurants are ok but I think they need to vary their menu a bit, it seemed to me to be the same every day. The fast service restaurant near the pool I have to say, did not resemble anything like a 5 star Hotel should offer it looked more like a School dining room.
Would I stay there again? Yes I would overall it was very good and very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank redanne29
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My husband is paralyzed and we have been to many of the Disney hotels. This one is one of the few actually worth the money!
The rooms were large and the bathroom had a roll in shower, the pool is a zero depth pool so I am able to roll him in and out of it. We had such an amazing relaxing time. Room service was absolutely delicious, quite memorable as we haven't been since they opened!

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank bogdana
Biddeford, ME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have stayed at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge about 4-5 times and each has been absolutely amazing. I've stayed in both Jambo House and Kidani Village and trust me, Jambo House is the way to go. Definitely stay on the Sunset Savannah or Arusha Savannah for the best wildlife viewing. The restaurant, Boma, is delicious and the pool is amazing. Overall, I would say this is easily my personal favorite resort on Disney Property

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank PerGronStudio
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

If you've not stayed here before it's an experience no to be missed, the animals are great the hotel looks as it's in Africa but of course it's not. Lots of good eateries if your a big carnivore. The buses to the parks are frequent, although it could take 30 mins for arriving to walking into MK. The rooms are good ask for savanna view.

As for the normally great customer service, we had phoned in advance and I was told to come over early and they would see about getting the room early, well the did keep me waiting for 4 plus hours in the lobby waiting for one room!

Room Tip: Savanna view, ask before you leave the reception, as changing it afterwards can be a hassle
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple