We stayed at AKL from October 1st-15th 2010 and booked a Standard View room for 14 nights on the special offer “14 nights for the price of 10”. (We had originally booked to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter, but I checked the rates frequently and one day it was only an extra £300 odd for the upgrade so I couldn’t resist!
We had a very long journey as we got a connecting flight (with Delta who were amazing) and used Disney’s Magical Express service from MCO and we arrived at AKL at around 8.30pm. When we were checking in I mentioned it was a special trip for us (wedding planning) and cheekily asked if there was any possibility of upgrading to a Savannah View room. The check in lady looked at me a little confused and said we already had a Savannah View – result!
We had the most amazing room location, if they had given us a map of the resort and said ‘choose your room’ it would have been very close by! We were less than a minute from the lobby overlooking the main (Arusha) savannah. And close enough to the Arusha overlook that if we opened our balcony door we could hear the African music that they play from the back of the lobby. Magical!
Our room was the best Disney Resort room we’ve had (also stayed at Disneyland Paris resorts – Hotel New York, Disneyland Hotel and Sequoia Lodge) and mousekeeping were amazing. We had lovely towel animals and an awesome congratulations card from Mickey and Minnie. Everyday we saw loads of animals, and there was a cow/antelope guy who would come within 2 feet of our balcony as he was smart enough to get past the fence so he could eat and sleep in a certain bush he liked.
Before our trip I was a little worried about the bus service to the parks (we didn’t rent a car) as on a map the Resort is far out from the rest of WDW but we never waited long (except for Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon buses which were sometimes 20 minutes) and the longest journey to the Magic Kingdom was only around 15 minutes.
We ate at all 3 restaurants, we thought the Mara (quick service) was great, and offered a good selection, we had breakfast and dinner at Boma (buffet) we really enjoyed dinner but weren’t too impressed with breakfast. The best meal of our trip was in Jiko (Signature restaurant) the service was amazing and food was fresh and delicious, we’ll definitely be back.
The staff (like in all of Disneyworld) were second to none, on our arrival night my fiancé had a bad headache, so I ventured out on my own to find the restaurant and buy us some drinks and snacks, as I got to the lobby I saw a Cast Member and asked him the way to the Mara, he walked me the whole way and we had a great conversation. On another occasion we asked the concierge desk if there was any possibility of seeing the suites as we were considering staying there again for our wedding trip, they were so helpful and showed us the beautiful vice presidential suite and also advised us to go over to Kidani Village to see the 1 bedroom villas. Kidani is a short 10 minute walk away and is definitely worth visiting, the lobby is like a small version of Jambo house and is beautifully done.
We loved everything about Animal Kingdom Lodge, but the question is “will we be back?”....
We’ve rebooked already!
This time we have opted to pay the extra for a Savannah view as it was so amazing looking over the main savannah that we wanted to benefit of being able to request an Arusha view room. This is for the first 5 nights of our wedding and honeymoon trip and we have raved about AKL so much that our family and friends have also booked to stay at the resort. We can’t wait to be back! Jambo!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into the heart of Africa at this magnificent Resort hotel. Inspired by the traditional African kraal, the horseshoe-curved design provides spectacular views of 4 lush savannas that over 200 hoofed animals and birds call home. Delight in dazzling pool areas, exciting animal programs and one of the largest collections of African art in the United States as you experience your own African safari adventure with a touch of Disney magic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Florida
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney Animal Kingdom Resort
- Disney Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Disney
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Orlando
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Disney
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Florida