“2nd stay here, would stay again!”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #135 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed at Pop 5.29-6.3 for my 2nd stay there and wasn't disappointed. Again, I was located in the 80s, building 9, which was only about a 5 minute walk to the main building. There was a small "computer" pool located just outside my building but we opted to lay by the Hippy Dippy (main) pool.

Of course the food court and attached gift shop are hectic but we rarely ate there so we didn't mind. We also had our own car and found it took literally 3 minutes to get to Hollywood Studios which was perfect since we spent a lot of time there for Star Wars Weekends.

Although housekeeping knocked on our door early one morning, the room was always cleaned thoroughly and relatively early in the day. The mini fridge in the room wasn't really secured in its cubby well enough and when opening the door, the fridge would easily slide out, close to falling on the floor so just be careful!

The beds are comfortable, extra pillows are supplied in the rooms, but you must bring your own towels to the pool. Just take note that the bathroom is small; the door barely clears the toilet when you close it.

It's a fun resort in a good location and I would certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: Higher floors mean no running, jumping, banging kids above you!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kristin S

Reviewed 3 June 2012

For roughly $100/night you can't beat staying here. We've stayed in other Disney lower priced hotels and we think Pop Century is absolutely the best of the value Disney hotels. AC was much better than the other similarly priced hotels where we could never get the room cool enough. We didn't have this problem at Pop Century. Rooms are clean and basic. Food court offers enough variety to keep anyone happy and prices are relatively decent – remember you are in Disney! BTW - try the Asian chicken salad - my wife's favorite and incredibly good. It would also be nice if there was a place for adults to have a drink and relax – there is an outdoor bar just outside the lobby with about 8 seats. It’s a great little place, but we had 6 adults in our group so it wasn’t a great option for us.

Hotel rooms are spread out over a large distance so the walk from your room to the lobby/food/buses maybe very long and I promise it will probably be confusing as finding a direct path from your room to where you want to go will be a challenge. Grounds are very well maintained and the décor with the large icons is well done. Towels at Disney value hotels continue to befuddle me. There are no towels at the pool so you must bring towels from your room. The size and thickness of the towels are ridiculous.

If you drive the walk from your car to your room may also be a workout. You may want to consider the extra charge for a “Preferred Room” (aka. fork over $15 +/- a night extra and we’ll ensure that the walk from your room to your car/lobby/bus is short enough that you are not sweating your $#%@ off before you arrive). It’s probably worth it.

We’ve stayed at many Disney resorts – Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Polynesian, All-Stars, Boardwalk, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, etc. - and while I would absolutely prefer the higher priced hotels, for the overall value, I think Pop Century and Port Orleans are the best.

6  Thank Koho26
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My family of four stayed here on our most recent trip to Disney World. We tend to be up with the sun and in the parks all day, so it seemed insane to spend exorbitant amounts of money on the higher priced hotels. We settled on Pop Century and we had a wonderful experience over all. We had a preferred room in the 60's buidling (I think). We faced the Hippie Dippie pool. I feel that the price of the preferred room is worth it b/c we don't have to schlep forever to get to the buses. Pop is a large resort and I would not have been happy had we been way at the back. I did learn a few things during our stay. The biggest lesson being that my step kids are just too big now for all four of us to stay in a value sized room. We had my 12 year old step daughter in one of the beds, my husband and I in the other and my 9 year old step son on an aero bed we brought with us. It actually worked out great, but by the end of the week I was feeling the lack of personal space. The beds at the values are full size and when your husband is over 6ft tall, that makes for a itty bitty sleeping space!! When the kids were younger we stayed at Wilderness Lodge in the bunk bed rooms and it was perfect. Now that both kids are "adults" in the eyes of Disney, the food and tickets costs went WAY up. While we try and decide if buying into DVC is worth it for us, we are happy to have a low cost accommodation that has just as much magic if not more than any of the pricier options. If we do value again we will have to get two rooms, which is still going to be less money than one room at a Deluxe. As for the food court, we were very happy with the options at Pop. Service is fast and pleasant and the variety is good. We found the bus service at Pop to be very satisfactory. The lack of overhead cover in the bus lines is a bummer in the hot Florida sun, but thankfully the buses were fast and they came often. The slowest bus was always Animal Kingdom for some reason. Overall, the theming was bright and bold and fun, the rooms were clean, and we never had a problem with noise. The kids loved the pools, didn't miss the slides in the least, and they really enjoyed the arcade one rainy evening. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. If you are park commando people, the values are a wonderful option!

Room Tip: A preferred room is going to be your best bet for a central location. It is very nice at the end of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank CampbellScot
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I went here last summer and had TONS of fun! There's ping-pong and an arcade and plenty of activities for the kids! My child loved the pools and everything about it! I would come here every summer! The rooms are a little small, but you don't really need a lot of room because there is soooo much to do!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter Corner suites are large and sunny Higher floors have less A/C...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Liana K
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Bring a small coffeemaker and coffee, etc. if you drink coffee. Bring your own towels for the pool because you have to call to ask for towels and then you have to wait on towels. If you have back problems, bring a foam eggshell mattress pad to put on your bed. The beds are full size beds. We made up our bed with the foam mattress pad the first night and the housekeepers made the bed each day with the pad on the bed. There is a beverage cooler in the room, not a mini refrigerator. It does not get cool enough to keep milk, for example, so if you need items at colder temperatures, you will need to use something else for that purpose. We ate at the on-site quick service restaurant one time and it was below average taste at the normal resort high prices ($50.00 for 4 people – 3 sandwiches, drinks, kid’s chicken nuggets). I recommend that you go elsewhere for meals due to the taste alone. My general assessment is that the value resorts are perfect for parents of young children because the décor is great fun and the size of the room is adequate. For parents with older children, however, you will find that the rooms are a little small, even if you aren’t in the room for very long.

6  Thank peach92
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is a great hotel if you have kids and want an affordable place to stay. There's nothing fancy here, but there are a bunch of pools and oversized statues, well-kept grounds, and a very polite staff. The rooms are a bit small, but we didn't go to Disney World to hang out in our rooms, so it didn't matter to us. They were immaculately clean when we got there at the beginning, and also when we got back at night. They also had recycle bins in the rooms, which I really liked.
Note: If you take the Magic Express and let them deliver your luggage, expect to wait 3-5 hours from the time you check in to the hotel until it gets to your room. No one told us this, and we waited forever for our bags to arrive. My advice is to either wear what you need, pack it in a carry-on, or haul your luggage yourself!

Room Tip: The 'preferred' rooms are close to the pool, and they cost a little extra. However, no room...
10  Thank MFehrenbach
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Pop Century for three nights in May 2012. The hotel is very large and has that great Disney feel. There are multiple pools to enjoy, an arcade inside the main building, scheduled activities, a gift shop and a food court.

I was really concerned about our Disney vacation because my three-year-old daughter is allergic to dairy and gluten. I called ahead of time and talked to Disney's dietary department and they assured me that accommodations could be made for us to eat in the food court. When we got there, the front desk instructed us to ask for the chef in the food court once we were ready to eat. Each time we visited the food court, we asked someone to call the chef and the chef would come out and talk to us about her food options for that day. The chef's were AMAZING! While we were there, they made her pancakes, waffles, bacon, eggs, toast, chicken tenders, french fries and pasta- all dairy and gluten free and all for the price of a normal kids meal.

We were so happy with the food options that were available for her and the only item that we ended up bringing ourselves was almond milk- they only offered the flavored kind.

Room Tip: The 60's and 70's themed buildings have the largest (main) pool.
9  Thank alicia0325
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!