“Okay for a Value”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #125 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We decided to stay at a value because we are Only in the room to sleep. We stayed in a priority room, so the distance was not too bad between the lobby and busses etc. The main issue with this (motel) is the paper thin walls. You can hear everything, conversations, televisions and worst of all showers and toilet flushing. The other disappointment with this hotel is that the bus waiting area is not covered. Often we waited 20 minutes for a bus and in direct sun, that wait feels much worse. Other then that, the price was fair and the children love the theming of the place. Bring earplugs in you tend to be a light sleeper!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AmeliesMom
Write a ReviewReviews (10,886)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We had a good time at the Pop Century. I was a little worried when I read review just before we left for Florida but I think the people that complain are used to high end hotels. We always stay at Hampton Inns. Although Hampton's are more comfortable and a much better value the perks you get staying on property are worth it. We usually stay at the Allstar Music and if I ever go again I will go back there. We are senior citizens but thankfully we are in good shape because we were on the 4th floor as far away from the elevators as you could be. We were close to the stairs and used them except on our return at night from the parks when I was to beat to climb. We did average 10 miles a day. I wore a pedometer that I wear at home so I know it's accurate. The room is small but for two people it's fine. Four might be a problem. One of the 3 pools was just outside our room (and down 4 floors). The food court was pretty good but expensive. We saved mornings by having instant oatmeal. We brought drinks from home and I always travel with tea bags. The mugs are now 18.00 for a length of stay visit. I didn't want to carry a mug all day and we spent so much time in the parks it didn't seem worthwhile. We were there 6 days. Transportation is better at the Music but we managed. We like to walk so several times we went to the Boardwalk and walked to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. The complex is huge. There's a lot to see just at the complex. We had a good time and that's what is most important.

Room Tip: .Rooms away the food court and main pool are much quieter but you will walk more. There is only one...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

If I could afford to stay at the Beach Club or Swan, I would, but having spent nights at All Star Movies and Music for budget reasons, I thought I'd give Pop Century a try. Price-wise, it's slightly higher than the All Stars. It's older, so I suppose it lends them prestige? The decor is less gaudy than the All Stars, but gaudy nonetheless. The room walls are paper thin (I could hear phone conversations verbatim), there are no coffee makers, but there is a fridge and a safe. I stayed on the 4th floor, so I can't imagine how nightmarish it is to stay on the lower floors. Having said that, the location is pretty serene. There's a beautiful walk around the lake between Pop Century and the Art of Animation Resort - and it's quiet. Finding quiet anywhere inside WDW is a miracle. I lowered my expectations overall, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Of course, thanks to the new "magic" wrist bands, check in is a horrorshow. What should be five to ten minutes at most per check in is now twenty to a half hour... AT LEAST. How do I know this? I timed it with a stopwatch. And because Pop Century crams in the budget-minded people, the lines add to your wait. So plan for an hour. I'm not kidding. And that's including if you do a check in online!

For check out they send you an email or paper so you avoid the equally long wait to leave - that is, if the hotel doesn't double charge you for your stay. LIKE THEY DID TO ME. So I had to wait an hour to check out (they explained it was due to a "glitch." That's one expensive glitch, WDW!!)

If you're a family, don't stay here. The rooms are tiny and unpleasant. But if you're a couple, in a budget pinch, and don't mind the puke-colored walls, it's pleasant enough and it won't hurt your wallet.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had a sinking feeling upon entering our room for the first time. You enter your room from outside, so this place feels more like a motel, and my first thought was that "resort" was an awfully generous title for this place.

The bad first: The rooms are tiny - you walk right into a bed when opening the door - with very few amenities. Our room had a small refrigerator but no microwave. We shared an adjoining room with my parents, and that helped a lot. Otherwise I think we would've gone a little crazy with so little space (we had four people in one room, three in the other). Our room had poor soundproofing, and I often could hear people outside at night. Also, the room in general was noisy - the cooling system, etc. Rooms definitely get more of a 2-star review.

The good: The pool nearest our room was very nice. It was fully staffed with lifeguards, which was a great plus. The staff members, in general, at the resort were friendly and helpful. I read reviews in which people complained about the food here, but I thought it was pretty good. Lots of variety, including healthier options like make-your-own salad, veggie burger, etc. I'd give 4 stars to the resort overall - for all that it offers.

Overall, I'd say know what you're getting into, maybe adjust your expectations downward, and you may well like this place just fine. I started out feeling pretty negative about it, but my opinion actually increased as we stayed. It wasn't luxurious by a long shot, but it was a good enough place to rest our heads after a long day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GottaRun77
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Nothing fancy about this resort, but if you are on a budget and want to stay on Disney property, this is the place to be!! The transportation (buses) to the parks arrive about every 15 minutes and it is only about a 15 minute ride to any of the parks. The rooms are small with 2 full sized beds and storage is limited, but we are hardly ever in our rooms except to sleep. For the most part, the rooms are quiet. The housekeeping service was great and towel animals were left everyday by our housekeeper. The food court is just ok. Usually very crowded (since this resort has over 2000 rooms) and we usually only eat breakfast here. Our room was a short walk to the bus stop and the food court. This is our 7th time staying at Pop Century and we will stay again!!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was my third stay in the pop century resort disney, I have also stayed in the music, movie and sport! Reason I like pop is it has its own bus service where as sport etc share which means the buses get fuller! And you wait longer :).. We used this hotel as our two week family holiday to disney world with two small children and partner. It's so friendly, the food is fab and quick service and plenty to choice from the rooms are basic but your in disney!!!! Who wants to stay in their hotel room?????? I will use this hotel again and again and again :) little note its a big hotel complex and so if you aren't very good at walking it may be an idea to pay for a preferred room which is rig next to the food and buses and it can be a good walk :)

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Adam G
Reviewed 19 November 2013

A simple, but fun hotel within the Disney complex.
Location is good for you to stroll around the parks and special Disney buses are provided.
Highly recommend if you want to have fun, pay a fair price and have transportation facilities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ester M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
2 mi away
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!