“What we expected, nothing more or less really.”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #127 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The primary factor in my opinion is based on me classifying the resort as a low cost simple facility. The rooms were as advertised in being little more than a basic bare bones room with some elaborate exterior decor. Our two chosen preferences that they would attempt to meet were to have it near transportation or having a lake view. Both can't be done in this case, but we were very close to the ground transportation to the parks. Check in was as easy as it gets. We did it online and the total time checking in on site was less than 10 minutes. Nice pools. If I could pick an area to improve, it would be dining. The on site cafeteria had plenty of variety that was priced reasonably, but the actual food was pretty bland and very much like a school or hospital cafeteria. The only other option was in room pizza delivery which was fine. The extra $50 a night or so for a moderate level resort might be worth it in amenities if you spend time at the hotel. We vacation for the parks and the hotel is just a place to sleep. We're satisfied as such. 5 stars if dining is upgraded or if the location was a bit more centralized.

Room Tip: Don't believe a fitness center was on site. The arcade was worth an hour or so.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank UKHoopsJeff
Write a ReviewReviews (10,780)

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at Pop Century. This time it was for one night before moving on to Old Key West for the remainder of our stay.

Pop Century is a Value resort, so it is important to understand that it has "value" amenities. The rooms are small and basic, but are fine. They are clean and well maintained. Other reviews have complained about thin walls, but that must depend on where you are. In all of our stays, we have never heard our neighbors. We've heard people walking past the windows, but not the next door rooms.

The atmosphere of the resort is fun. The theming and decorations are interesting. Our kids love the grounds. The pool area is fun for kids, and there are activities there throughout the day. The food court has a lot of different options, and we think it is pretty good.

We found the customer service to be very good. When we arrived, there was a line for check-in. The line was moving very slowly (okay, it wasn't moving at all) because several of the people at the desk had issues that were taking awhile to resolve. Rather than either asking those people to step aside or making the people in line wait an extended period of time, they sent out three additional cast members with iPads to handle check-in for the people waiting in line. I thought that was a very nice move. Also, when we changed hotels, my daughter left her beloved teddy bear behind. When we notice it was missing a couple of days later, the staff at Pop Century was very helpful in finding the bear and reuniting it with my daughter. Kudos to them for that.

The only real negative about Pop Century is the size of the rooms. While we don't spend much time in our room, it does start to feel cramped pretty quickly, especially with strollers and other things that go along with have little ones. For that reason, when we are coming for more than a couple of days, we try to fit resorts with bigger rooms into the budget if we can. But if we can't, or if it is a short stay, we are more than willing to stay at Pop Century. It's a nice resort and a great value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gleece
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Its just ok. Nothing spectacular but clean and quiet. You don't really go to Disney for the hotels but it is ok for an efficiency room. A little pricey but you do get some perks staying on the property like early and late hours at parks. Pools are large and not crowded. Convenient transportation options directly from hotel are nice.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our Family of 4 stayed here 6 nights in November 2013. Our room was small, but honestly not as small as I expected. If you'll be spending your days at the parks this is a great cheap(er) option.
We only ate at the resort once. We had breakfast at 10am the day we left. It tasted good, but the place was still crowded. I'm glad we didn't try to eat there before rushing to the parks.
The staff all seemed very polite and helpful. I'll definitely consider staying at Pop Century again!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank vasufobo
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really nice. The only problem is it has no smoking rooms and very limited smoking areas. The pools are very nice. The food is good and not overpriced. Overall it is a really nice place. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to Disney World.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at here on my first trip to Disney World, in building 6 in the 70's section right at the end on the 3rd floor. It was a great spot as it was quiet as I only had the one neighbour, and had a view of the lake. The room was great it was clean, they are not overly big and I can see how with a family of 4 it could be quite crowded, but as I was on my own the room was big enough. Mousekeeping was great and the grounds were always clean. My only issue was I had more towels than I knew what to do with, as I left the privacy on my door as I didn't need anything done or changed, I came back to my room they had a bag of towels hanging on my door handle, which I really didn't need and left in the bag.
The magic bands are great. You can charge everything back to room, and you don't have to carry anything as they will deliver it all back to hotel, the concierge will give you a print out of what has been spent, whenever you ask for it.
The refillable mugs also at the moment work at the art of animation resort, which have slightly different drink choices.
The wifi in the rooms really does suck, as it was soooo slooow.
The buses going to the parks, I never really had to wait for. The buses coming home from the parks, if the line was too long for the pop century bus, I would catch the art of animation bus, as they often had hardly anyone waiting for them, even after the fireworks, then walk across the bridge to pop century and building 6 was pretty close to the bridge.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Neandico
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I spent four nights here as part of a family vacation to The Mouse. Other family members chose the resort and booked the rooms. (They have stayed there before. This was my first stay.)

This is a Disney Valve Resort. This means:

1. The rooms are small. Mine contained two double beds, a dresser, a table between the beds, and a small table with two chairs. The sink is outside the bathroom and separated from the room by a curtain. The toilet/tub/shower are behind a door. Only one person at a time will fit in your bathroom area. There is a small closet area near the sink.
2. The amenities in the room are bare bones. The soap/shampoo actually has a pleasant scent. There is a hairdryer attached to the wall by the sink. That is all you are getting. The towels are thin but do the job.
3. There will be a line for lots of things because the place is HUGE. This is most noticed at the concierge. If you are going to need a lot of concierge service, consider another resort or be prepared to spend a great deal of time waiting in lines.
4. You will not get a lot of attention from staff members. They are all uniformly nice, friendly and competent - but there are a lot of us vs. them.
5. The food is basic and fine. Everything is a buffet. There is no table service. No characters will come over to take pictures with you. There is limited variety - but everyone will find something they want to eat. The hot food will be hot. The cold food will be cold. There will be a line to pay and sit to eat. The bar by the pool is small, but has a TV showing the game. It's not a bad option to get a drink and sit by the pool in the evening.
6. The gift shop has decent variety but you'll want to visit it AFTER you see what other gift shops at the parks have to offer.

The bottom line - my family and I had four rooms on the second floor of a building at a fair distance from the lobby. Two sets connected. Our rooms were clean. Soap and towels were replaced as used. Our personal items (including valuables) were never touched. I had no concerns with security even returning very late at night. I found the housekeeping staff to be the among the most friendly, outgoing and helpful I have encountered. We arrived on a Saturday at noon. Two rooms were immediately ready. The others took about two hours. We never had more than a 15 minute wait for the bus to the parks.

Tips:

1. If you are a night time reader, bring a book light. There are no table lamps, just lights attached to the wall. You will keep everyone up trying to read.
2. Bring ear plugs. The walls are very thin.
3. Get a room away from the pool unless you are going to be at the pool all the time. The noise levels around the pool are much greater than rooms located away from the pool.
4. Get a room off the ground floor. Again, noise levels. Other guests will be walking past your room all the time if you are on the ground floor.
5. There is a small fridge in the room in the dresser. Use it!
6. The movie and kids activities at the pool everyday are well done and fun for the kids.
7. I was surprised how excited the tweens in our group were by the arcade in the main building. I thought that kind of thing was passe!
8. There is a wall safe in the room with a key. It was too small for our laptop, but fine for a iPad if you feel you need to lock things up. We never did.

If you plan to be out of the room most of the day (as our group did) Pop Century is a good choice. You will not care about the lack of amenities and personal attention. You will not find the bare bones room. You will just want a clean bed to come back to before the next adventure!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AzureMountain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
2 mi away
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!