“I would have really expected better from Disney.”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #137 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I booked a one night stay as we decided to come in early before our condo opened up. We checked into the hotel late at night which went smoothly, though they did make me park the car a short walk rather than letting me park it in front (with my girlfriend still in it). The woman at the front desk was very nice and sorted everything out quickly. After driving to the lot and finding the room (which took a minute. The woman at the front desk told me to look for the laptop, but neglected to tell me that you could not see this from the road or parking lots). After proceeding through to the elevators to the fourth floor I was hit by a horrid smell most likely coming from the pool. Thankfully that dissipated as we moved toward our room.

We arrived at the room to find two double beds rather than the one queen I had requested at check in. I call the operator only to be connected to someone who spoke very poor English who vaguely told me that they would look into finding a queen room but did not having a time frame as to when they would get back to me. At this point being almost midnight, I gave up and figured I would just deal with it as it was only one night.
As for the room, it was small, but that was to be expected, I really didn't expect to see anything fancy. You definitely get a way better value for the room staying off site. Bed and pillows were fine. No signs of bugs or any damage. BUT, the night definitely got worse from there. After turning off all the lights the night light attached to the blow dryer (which is hard wired into the wall as far as I could tell) turned into a strobe light which was rather annoying. I threw a towel over it to cover the light and tried to go back to bed. Except that wasn't happening. From about 1230am to about 3am kids were screaming, people were laughing loudly and just generally being rude. I finally did get to sleep but 3am was the last time I had looked at the clock. After a long day of travelling and dealing with airports this was not the nights rest I was looking forward to.

Being a Disney value resort I did not expect any fancy amenities or a large room, but I at least excepted a decent nights sleep. I am extremely disappointed in Disney and because of this stay will NEVER spend more money to ever stay at one of their nicer properties. Staying off site is a better value, and you get a better nights sleep. I really don't see myself ever coming back to stay on a Disney property. But that said, being an annual pass holder and taking about 3 week long trips every year to Disney, the Parks are still amazing and the best in the world, this does not change my opinion on them. I just wish they could do better in the hotel industry.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank t773er
There are newer reviews for Disney's Pop Century Resort

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was my fourth trip to disney, and this was not a very good trip. We just stayed at the poly resort and when we realized how far this was compared to last time I got very mad. The buses were too slow we rented a disney cab every day. The rooms were small and dirty, I found mold in the bathroom and figured that it was old and dated and asked for a better room but they gave me a room that was far from the bus stop and the food court. We did have fun in the pools and in the cabs, though. My triplet daughters loved the 70's pool and they also liked the playground.the housekeeping and service is great. This might sound weird, but even though they were moldy, the bathroom was pretty big. I think that the rooms need to be updated and they should be bigger. My kids were happy with the trip and I am working on another trip and I am going to stay in a moderate resort. One thing you should know is that this is the best value resort and should upgrade to the moderate resort but NEVER downgrade

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Grace A
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Pop century Christmas 2013

We stayed a week pre-Christmas at Disney's pop century while visiting the parks. Disney was having a great special and we had stayed at Pop years before when they were new. Our memories of the resort were good, so we decided to give it a try, this time we were two adults and a teen, and we found the resort slightly run down from when we had stayed before. Checkin was quick and smooth, our greeter was efficient but not very Disney-like, not really even explaining much to us, even though there was no line and it was not busy. Most of my questions were referred to the concierge desk where I had to stand in another line, luckily it was not busy either.
We had paid for an "upgraded room" which at Pop means you have a room closer to the main building, as all the rooms are motel style in buildings that surround pools and have walkways to the main building that houses the cafeteria style restaurant, the main checkin area, a store, the game room and a large lobby. The grounds have not changed a bit since our last visit, although the main pool was being freshened which meant it was closed for part of our visit (we did receive an email on this right before our stay). The email did us no good except to "warn" us of extra noise and no main pool access!! But we were there to enjoy the parks at holiday time so it was no matter. The main restaurant is a cafeteria style place, with various areas that offer the typical Disney style food, at breakfast there are Mickey waffles, pancakes, egg dishes and lots of pastries. Plus coolers filled with drinks, yogurt, fruits, bins filled with snacks and you can purchase a cup that is refillable to use for coffee and soda. Lunch and dinners are hot dogs, burgers, and such, pizza is cooked made to order. There is no room service but all items are "to go". Being gluten free, I found most of the foods not what I could eat, but they will send you a chef that offers "suggestions" of what he can cook (see my full review of the restaurant for more info.)
The video game room is typical game fare and pricey, games are $1 and upwards.
The rooms are housed in theme buildings of each era; 50's, 60's and upward to 90's. Only the outsides are different as far as I could tell. Each building is three stories and has elevators way in the middle, where ice machines can be found. There are stairs at all ends that are open to the outside as are the hallways and doors.
The room itself was just as we'd left it, two double beds, a small dresser with an updated flat screen tv and a cube fridge (nice addition!) there is a small bedside table between beds and a small closet area where the sink is located, outside the tiny commode and tub area. The tub dripped water loudly into the night, was hard to adjust from cold to hot and showed its age with worn tiles and dirty looking grout. I think the maid only changed our towels, straightened our sheets and emptied garbage the entire week. We had the same sheets and limited toilet paper throughout the stay. The beds were creaky and very uncomfortable, my 6'1" husband hung off the end. There was also a tiny table with two creaky chairs ( we worried they might fall apart at any moment! All mutely decorated in various Mickey themed style. In retrospect we spent little time in our room, and the ambience of the resort is high energy and lots of children. The walls are thin and you can hear everyone that walks by your room or above you at any time of the day or night. But we enjoyed our stay visiting the parks and after two calls to maintenance did get our drippy faucet fixed. Would we stay in this resort again?? I doubt it but we will be back to visit the mouse, as I feel Pop century is more for families with small children. If you're looking for cheap ondisney property at the cheapest price, this is it, but I found the properties that are right outside the resort area to be nicer amenities for a cheaper price!!

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms are closer to the main building.
3  Thank laenie
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This was our first stay at Pop and my wife and I were very excited since we had heard some great things about it. First off, we've stayed at the value resorts before. (All-Star Movies) So we were going into this stay expecting about the same experience. The overall theme is great. The buildings are really neatly decorated, and the landscaping is great. The property itself is really good. The rooms are, to me, the same as all-stars. (Small, no frills) We did have a fridge, which was nice. However, the beds were very uncomfortable. Stiff, and with no comforters anymore, just blankets. We did get extra blankets and pillows, no problem there. However, the mattresses need to go. Other than that, rooms were fine and cleaned well everyday.

The food court is another issue. While there are several options as far as choices go, the food itself was not that great. Just bland. I know these food courts serve a lot of people everyday and they are just keeping up with demand, but they need some help in the food department here. Not sure what can be done.

We're not picky people and are usually easy to please, but I don't think we'll be staying at Pop again. I'd rather go to All-Stars before Pop. So, only 3 stars from us. The staff was friendly and helpful also.

Room Tip: Eat at the Art of Animation, which is across Hourglass Lake.
2  Thank Leftaslide
Reviewed 20 December 2013

haven't been since my last trip in September. Had some issues with noise from the pool after midnight during my last visit. Pool now closes at midnight, was much quieter. The day before we left, they had closed the main pool for a few days and were doing a real good power washing of the pool deck and doing some painting to some of the large "POP" signs. One other change that I loved is the room we were in had no more comforters. They now have a heavier white duvet and a sash at the foot of the bed that is the same pattern as the old comforters used to be. Such a clean look now and cleaner feeling!

2  Thank Badrew
Reviewed 19 December 2013

It's a room to sleep in when you're not in the parks. And that's about it. Really small and cramped; old and I'm serious need of an update. It's a place to sleep when you're not in the parks, and that's about it. The rooms are old and in serious need of an update. Mold in the corners, one part of the shower had been cleaned but the rest was covered in a light film of dust/grime. Toilet didn't look like it had been cleaned at all. The drain was clogged and had to have someone come fix it, which to be fair they were very prompt about.

The whole reason I stayed on Disney property was because of the transportation, but even that wasn't perfect. I think next time I'll stay off site at a nicer hotel, it'll still be cheaper than staying at Disney, and use the money saved on transportation. The staff acted like they couldn't be bothered to act even the least bit courteous; I got the impression I was nothing more than an annoyance when I checked in. Food court is your basic cafeteria food; not very good and overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed at Pop Century December 2013. Nice for a Disney Value Resort: Rooms were clean and large food court helped keep service going quickly for such a large resort. Pool bar was also nice with a good variety of food and drink. There onsite store was well stocked. Check in was quick and thorough. Bus service was quick.

Visitors should be aware there are not hot tubs and guest rooms are very small (door just about hit the bed when opening). Bath and bed linens were not so great.

Good value if you need inexpensive accomodations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!