“Great value for families”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #136 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great value for families”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed 5 days. It was my first time staying at Pop Century and I am overall pleased. The service desk was very helpful with any question I had. The rooms are a little small but the only time we spent in there was to sleep anyway. I came with my mom and 2 of my grown daughters and we got 2 rooms and am grateful we did. We got the rooms with a connecting door which was awesome. The walls are thin so you don't want a room by the swimming pools if you want quiet. We stayed in the 50s section up on the 4th floor which is what we wanted. I had called 10 days in advance to request it. They couldn't promise the rooms but would put the request in.

The drinking mugs Pop Century sells in the food court are priced according to the length of your stay. So anything over 5 days it was $17.99 and you can refill as often as you like in the food court. So since I'm frugal I purchased one mug and we just refilled it a lot between myself and 2 others. I believe I got my money's worth. Yeah it was a pain to keep getting up but we took turns with that.

It is very loud in the food court but I didn't expect anything less. It's packed with families, flat screens of Disney channel playing and all decades of music in the background. It's a "happening" place. There were lots of food choices and if you didn't like anything they had, you can walk over to the Art of Animation resort and check out their food court. I thought the food was good. One of my daughters hated the pancakes while the other loved them so it's just according to your taste buds.

The buses going to the parks came often and i don't think we waited longer than 10 minutes for any of them.

If you have a family of 4 and 2 of them are small children under 10, then you could get by with one room. With 4 adults, you're going to be bumping into each other if you share one room. Get 2 rooms with the connecting door if you want elbow room.

We did the Magic Your Way which was pretty cool. Our luggage came to our room a couple of hours after we arrived. What a cool service to have! It was our first time using it.

Overall a great value for families!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kramborj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,006)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was here for just under a week and loved it!! The staff were very friendly, rooms were neat tidy and had plenty of fresh towels. Great Disney sculptures around the resort. I ran around the lake and enjoyed reading the facts. I found the buses to be good, one last thing to worry about when you come on holiday and you can jump on and off them, never had to wait longer than 15 minutes.

The food at the restaurant there however was pretty pricey ($8 and up for a sandwich etc) and it isn't located near any food shops. So you either have to buy lunch from the parks (around $15 for an adult to feel full) or go to downtown Disney (slightly cheaper). What I did was go to downtown Disney then catch a bus towards central Orlando and buy food.

I would highly recommend taking food here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dcuf146
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our 3rd trip to this resort, and all 3 times were to attend cheerleading competitions. The rooms are perfect for 2 people or a family of 4 with very young kids (and on a budget), the rooms are way too small to be comfortable with any other combination.

Check in, housekeeping, and the food service, cafeteria style was mostly efficient and all staff were pilot and willing to assist.

The main reason for returning to this property for us was that the Disney transportation system includes bus service to the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex, which is in close proximity.

Unfortunately, on our last night, the event (the Cheerleading Worlds) was running behind schedule due to thunderstorms. The bus service is supposed to run, according to the staff, 1 hour AFTER the event ends. Well, this was NOT the case on Monday, April 28th, 2014. The buses stopped running from ESPN so many (hundreds) of people were stranded, forced to use cabs to return to their hotels. I spent $20 including tip to get back to Pop Century. When I informed the front desk staff (I think her name was Ashley), of what happened, and let her know that it was unacceptable to treat Disney guests in that manner, she tried to get a manager to speak with me, but returned with no one. She offered to take my name and have a manager contact me, but that never happened either.

So, overall, the property is fine (All Star Sports is in better condition, room wise), but the Disney Transportation system has A LOT of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Take a top floor, end unit if you want quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kids3dog
Richmond, Maine
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The best thing about staying at Disney is that you get a free airport shuttle and free transportation to the parks. That saves you a lot of money...and we got a great deal on the hotel room. We were only at Disney for one night at the end of a trip to visit my family, but even just one night at Disney (and a day at the Magic Kingdom) was enough to remind me why I love Disney World and Disney resorts. The folks at check in were great, and the line moved fairly quickly. The room was ready ahead of schedule, and it was clean and comfortable - and close to the pool.

Our flight took off the next morning at 6:00 a.m., and my only complaint is that Disney's Magical Express picked us up at 2:50 in the morning, but the airline window didn't open until 4:15, so by the time we got to the airport, we had to stand around for 45 minutes before we could get our boarding passes. I think that Disney should pick up early morning folks a little later than the usual 3 hours ahead of schedule...there is no sense in getting there just to stand around.

I love Disney and when visiting, would never stay anywhere else but on property. If you have children and a limited budget, Pop Century is far and away my favorite value resort. The food is convenient, there is a GREAT store in the main building, and you are not too far away from any of the resorts. I would definitely recommend this as a place for families. If you are going for a romantic getaway...I would recommend one of the higher-priced resorts.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bethinmaine
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 May 2014

If you need to stay in a value hotel at disney world, I highly recommend this resort! It has all the magic of the very expensive resorts at a great price. I've stayed at the Grand Floridian, and though I loved it, I'd stay here over the GF. Why? Better price and just as wonderful service.

Here's why I loved it:
1.) They have their own transportation system. This means that they don't stop at other resorts on the way to the parks or back. This differs from the other value resorts.
2.) Customer service: The customer service is amazing here. Period, end of story. Awesome.
3.) Theming: The theming isn't the most sophisticated but it's super cute and cohesive.
4.) Rooms: The rooms are small, but clean and well organized. The beds are comfy too!

Room Tip: Choose a room near transportation to be close to the food court
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank courtneycartwright
Forked River, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Disney's Pop Century resort is my favorite place to stay on Disney property, especially for the value! We've stayed here numerous times, and have never encountered any problems.

It's clean, the staff is friendly, and the pools are awesome! The food is good, nothing to rave about but we always make sure to eat there at least once. Bus service is good, we've utilized it in the past but not so much the last couple years.

You will hear a lot of noise. You always know when someone in the building is showering because you can hear the water rushing through the walls. Kids running up and down the halls shouting, doors slamming, people swimming (if you're close to the pool), and all the little workers carts driving by. It's nothing you shouldn't expect!

If you're looking to stay cheap at Disney, this place is your best bet. I always enjoy it!

Room Tip: If you want a more quiet night, don't stay near a pool, and stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KellNJ
buffalo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed at this property with my husband in March. Have stayed at this property 3 times previously with my daughter. Since the trip was with my husband this time, I was very specific about room selection and location. I submitted my requests when making the reservation and three days prior to our arrival, called again to confirm. Upon check in, not one of our requests were honored. My main concern was a king size bed versus two doubles. After much delay, they did assign us to a king room. Upon entering the room, the bed was the most unappealing, pathetic bed that we have ever seen. There was no way we would sleep in that bed all week and asked to be changed. Ended up with two doubles room NOT poolside of which I had paid for. Very disappointing. The rest of the property is wonderful Disney...food hall good selection, clean fun pool, beautiful grounds. Would I stay here again? Yes, with my daughter. NEVER again for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!