“Good Value Resort, Especially If You Have Kids”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #131 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is the perfect Disney Value Resort if you have kids with you. It is very kid oriented and has beautiful pools, including a kiddie pool. The rooms are very clean and the housekeeping staff is terrific! This hotel has a giant food court, however, I found the food choices fairly limited. There is a mini fridge in each room. We chose a "preferred pool view" room, which was wonderful because it was very close to the food court/main building. The only down side to this room is that you hear everything that is going on outside (kids having fun, parents parenting, people swimming, loud movies on movie nights). If you sleep can sleep with ear plugs, you should be all set!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashley D
Write a ReviewReviews (10,707)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have stayed here twice in the past two years and have thoroughly enjoyed each stay. I had previously stayed at All Star Movies and found it to be a miserable experience, causing me to swear off Disney Value Resorts until I was encouraged to try Pop by a friend. I really like the place and here is why...

Theming
The the theming of the resort is not bad at all. The buildings are done up in a particular decade (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's) with giant icons and logos form that era. It is bright and colorful. I will be the first to admit it is a little over the top, but I think kids seem to really like it because it is very accessible to them. They also, have fun games and photo ops places throughout.

Layout
While this resort has a lot of rooms, it has a pretty good layout. It does not take very long to walk from one end to the other. The only exception to this might be the 80's and 90's sections, that are sort of tucked in a corner. (More in my room recommendations below)

Rooms
The rooms are a standard design in the entire resort, which is more or less equivalent with your standard Hampton Inn. The only thing that is unique is a framed piece of art on the wall, that shows what Disney stuff came out in that decade. They have a single sink and vanity, and the the shower and tub in the actual bathroom. All rooms have refrigerators, so you can keep snacks and drinks cold. Standard flat screen TV. They have the updated thermostat, as well as a lock and key wall safe. The safe is not big enough for a laptop (you might be able to get an 11 inch in there). I never put stuff in there because I didn't use housekeeping and I was never really concerned with someone breaking in. But there is more than enough room for spare cards, tickets, and cash. My room was well cleaned and maintained, and I had no issues with noise.

Food Court
I cannot say a ton about the food court. I never had breakfast there (one because I wanted to get to the parks early and, two because mass produced breakfast food isn't really ever good). But they have a good mix of options including sandwiches, pasta, ice cream and deserts. I really liked the salmon burger, but that was really the only meal, I had there. I had ice cream on a few occasions and spent the rest of my meals elsewhere.
One complaint I have is that the whole thing shuts down at midnight, which is kinda crazy since the parks are often open later than this. The gift shop is contained within this area as well and as such closes at the same time. That means if you get back from the parks and want a late night snack or drink you are more or less out of luck.

Clientele
I am going to put this carefully, but when I stayed at All Star Movies/Music, I found that there were far to many kids and not near enough adults (as in mom and dad sent the kid to Disney World with X club/team which had too few chaperones) I like don't mind kids (if I didn't why would I go to Disney World?) but I know, as well as anyone what happens when you put a ton of kids into a hotel with not enough parental supervision. (No really I do, that was a wild student council conference.) Pop however was a very nice mix adults and families and kids, so this doesn't seem to be a problem. Once again, kids are great...but they need supervision.

Pools
Pools are very nice, I used both of the secondary pools (Bowling pin and Computer) with the computer pool being my favorite. The main pool (hippie dippie) is nice as well, they have kids activities going most of the day so there is a lot for the kids to do there, although it does get a little loud. They also have a pool bar right there as well. I found that at both of the quiet pools finding a spot to sit is very easy, and when I walked by the main pool there were usually plenty of seats as well. I went at the hight of spring break season, and usually there were not very many people at the pools. This was nice compared to when I have been at Beach Club in the past and you have to get to the pool right at opening to get a decent spot. I will say that the pools are not overly exciting, no watersides or anything like that, but the main pool does have some fun water features for the kids.

Bus Service
I have stayed at 5 of the resorts of varying price points and this is by far the best in the way of bus service to the parks. My longest wait was probably 25 minutes, with most being much shorter. Pop is one of the larger hotels (by room count) so they do not share buses with any other resorts. Even at many of the deluxe resorts there is bus sharing which makes getting to the parks much slower, because of all the time it takes to load and unload.

A comment on the "preferred rooms"
I would personally not do it. The resort isn't really spread out enough to make it worth the extra money. The preferred rooms are all of the 60's. I have always requested a room in the seventies and have always gotten a room in the 70s. Maybe my opinion of this would be different if I had gotten stuck in the 80's or 90's. But that is my room request advice, request a room in the seventies. What people don't realize it that while the rooms in the 50s look like they are close to the main building, but the food court and bus station are on the opposite side of the building, they are still better than the 80's and 90's which are in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't be terribly upset with any room except for the 80's and 90s.

Room Tip: A comment on the "preferred rooms" I would personally not do it. The resort isn't re...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank heff467
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was a great experience! What else could you ask for in a Disney value resort hotel? The rooms were comfortable and an easy walk to the main building and pool. The cafeteria was good for a counter service restaurant. The Disney staff was incredible and helpful throughout my stay. The decades music was awesome with great memorabilia in the main lobby. Thanks for making this a magical stay!

Room Tip: Make sure and request what decades building you want to stay in through your MyDisney account.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cford624
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I'm only just getting around to writing this now although we stayed in May 2011!!!

We booked this hotel through an external website though we were still able to book disneys magical express to collect and drop us to the airport.

The hotel has several pools, an arcade, a shop (that I had disney purchased delivered free of charge to) a laundry room, a large food hall and a large front desk which meant not much waiting time.

We had a fridge brought to our room free of charge due to medicines. Large room with two queen beds. Lots and lots of choice in the food area for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All of the different disney resort buses stopped outside of the hotel every 5-10 mins free of charge.

Very clean, very close to everything and great food. As said in the title, we are hoping to stay here again for our next disney visit :)

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Mbutler96
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was the first time we had stayed at Pop. We usually stay at Riverside or Fort Wilderness. We were not disappointed though. It was just my husband and me. I had forgotten to online check in before we left home but remembered about two hours before we arrived so I did it on my phone and check in was a breeze. The room is a little small but sufficient for just the two of us. As usual, clean. Housekeeping was great. We had an issue with our fridge and it took a couple of calls to get maintenance up to fix it. Magic bands worked great.

We were disappointed with the food court. We usually needed something mid afternoon and the food court did not have all the options on their menu available.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IMSwimnoid
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a very low end hotel but very clean. All we needed. The pool is great. The food court is overpriced and the food is not that tasty. Also, the management of people in line and the attitude of the chefs preparing the food was lacking. I mean if I'm paying that much I guess I expected more. They were not in a hurry, they were not gracious. I only have 2 of the options that we chose while we were there but it was frustrating. The flatbread pizzas were very yummy!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I took my son for his first Disney trip & I didn't want to splurge on a fancy hotel. Yet, I didn't want to stay in a run down hotel either. We were very impressed with Pop Century. This time, we are going to stay in a different hotel only because Disney has so many to choose from and we have a little more money to spend this time around. But you'll love it. It's a fairly new hotel so it's pretty clean. Staff were very friendly. The food at the food court area was great! We ate there for breakfast pretty much every day we were there. The pop culture items throughout the hotel were pretty neat. Have fun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bianca S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!