Checked into my hotel room in the afternoon, after a very long day of travel and work. The hallway to the room had a weird odor, sorta like a faint smell of a meat deli. I get to my room, and don't immediately notice the different odor that it has, due to the smell of the hallway. I bring my bags in, unpack, and shower before I head out for food. I noticed a weird smell but I figured it was just the hallway smell leftover, and I go out. When I get back a few hours later, the room STINKS. The middle section smells like a box of old shoes. It was such a strong, pungent odor that my allergies went nuts.
I visit the front desk, and the associate refused to help. She kept repeating "if you had told me something when you first checked in I could have switched you." Her point of contention as to why she couldn't switch me was two fold: the cleaning crew was gone for the day, so they couldnt clean up the room I left, and that she would have to explain to her manager why she switched my room hours after the fact.
HELLO!!! There is no time limit on things of this matter...true, it's best if done immediately after checking in but there was not a big issue at the moment. And let's say it was a different issue...like let's say the smell came out of nowhere later on, or I found a bug in the bed, or the toilet wouldn't flush, what then?
So I pressed this point, and she kept giving me unhelpful comments reiterating the same bad excuses she gave me before. She mentioned that "well there's no Queen beds anyway, so i would have had to have give you a room with doubles." I asked if she had any King sized bed rooms open and she said since it's more expensive she couldn't change the room. She flat out refused to reach ANY sort of accommodation for me, due to her laziness.
Unfortunately since this was a late hour and I had a night full of reports to do for work, there was nothing else I could do.
The hotel itself is ok...the outside is really nice, the paint scheme is fresh and hip, but the inside is a bit dated. Most of the rooms I saw open (through the windows) seemed to be just as old inside as the one I had. Bed was very stiff (not firm...stiff, out of cheapness) and the pillows were not good. Shower and bathroom were a nice size. Kitchen area looked clean but I wouldn't have risked cooking with the pots and using the plates they had, the whole cabinet and stove top area just had an unclean feel to it...needs to be updated.
Basically, this hotel is a gamble...I would have rated it 2 stars but the service just dropped it to 1. I'm sure if you got someone who cared a bit more about doing their job properly than the lady that helped me, and you ended up with a room that didnt smell, you might be ok (assuming you could deal with the meat deli smell in the hallway). Also, bear in mind that since this is a long-term stay hotel (even though you might have only booked a day or two online), they do NOT do daily housekeeping. Happens on a weekly basis only, unless you pay them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Homestead Studio Suites Orlando - John Young Parkway features 134 studio suites with a fully equipped kitchen, free wifi, expanded cable television, free local calls and voicemail service. Amenities include a guest laundry facility. The hotel is conveniently located in between the Airport and all major theme parks plus the Orlando Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Extended Stay, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Extended Stay America - Orlando - Southpark - Equity Row reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homestead Studio Suites Orlando - John Young Parkway Hotel Orlando
- Homestead Orlando
- Homestead Suites Orlando
- Extended Stay America - Orlando - Southpark - Equity Row Florida
- Orlando Homestead Suites