“First ever review” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #262 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
“First ever review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have travelled far over the years and stayed in all types of accommodation and this is the first review I have ever written. This hotel was a big disappointment. On our arrival, very late as our flight was delayed over two hours, it took forever to check in as a guy on the front desk was more interested in chatting up a couple of young girls. This is the last thing you When we eventually got our room keys, only one lift was working out of three. Just as well we were on a lower floor. We walked up the back stairs, and as my son described it 'like an old block of council flats. The room was tired and dated and needed refurbishing. Cleaning was not wonderful. I dropped a biscuit on the carpet and the crumbs were still there at the end of my stay. Not much hoovering there! The swimming pool area was good, but no shade from the sun around the pool, Not good when the sun is so hot, especially for the children. We were also charged resort fees which when I booked virgin assured me there were none. It took a lot of complaints the the virgin rep and the management to eventually get these removed. Nine of us went 6 adults and 3 children and the holiday cost almost £20k so were were expecting something a bit more upmarket. I would not rate this as 3 star plus. Still the flight (after the long delay) and the V room was great. Cannot fault virgin atlantic, but you need to look again at the rating of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I am so sorry your stay was a disappointment. I wanted to share with you we are in the process of updating our resort. We are hiring more front desk staff and your comments about your check-in experience will be shared with the front office manager.

Also, the elevators have been repaired and I have informed housekeeping of your issues.

I apologize for the problems you experienced, but thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review. We read each and every comment and use it to improve our services and our resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
BLUFF CITY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This year's experience was better than the year prior. The staff much more accommodating. However, the policy that your room does not have to be ready until 4PM is very much a sore point with me, as my wife and I drive 12+ hours to get there and difficult with timing of traffic, etc to arrive after 4PM. Upon arrival would just like to get into our room and sleep, freshen up, etc. However, it is currently not the policy of this establishment to not have your room ready, prior to 4PM. Not sure if your room is ready, you are allowed to check-in prior. but according to the front desk clerks, this year and prior year, they are not obligated to have your room ready for you until after 4PM. Other than that, a pleasant experience. Rooms in the tower still appear a bit dated, etc.

Room Tip: If arriving early, specify and see if room available upon your arrival, if not, you may be waiting u...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dale:

I am so pleased you noticed the differences from your stay last year to this year. We have been diligently working on updating the property to give it a new and fresh feeling and look.

In reference to the 4pm check in time. When it is possible, we will make some exceptions to an early check in. Unfortunately, if we were sold out the day before, we may not have rooms cleaned and ready for our guest much before 4pm.

If we are fortunate enough to have you stay with us again, please know you can call the morning you are departing and ask the front desk what the availability is and can you check in early.

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit your review.
Sunrise, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Well where can I Start that was the worst trip ever, everything about the Hotel was lies. The first day we arrived they put us in the smoking area the rooms were dirty and needed to be updated, and when we finally checked into the right rooms, the carpets were dirty, no electricity, and there were no comforters on the beds for us to use! The days we were there they promise free breakfast that was a lie, the kids were coughing, sneezing and crying do to the dirty carpets, but I do want to say two positive for the hotel front receptionist Cathy was amazing she tried to make are trip as comfortable as possible for us she checked up on us, she help us get into the right rooms and she even recommended some places we can go to enjoy ourselves. Second the only thing they didn’t lie about was the pool, the pool was awesome that was the only fun part of our trip. International Palms Resort get ya’ll act together so people can want to come back!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank P M
Dear PM:

I want to apologize for the problems you experienced during your recent stay. I am pleased Cathy worked with you and that you enjoyed the pool area.

We are working daily on updating and refurbishing our property and I appreciate your taking the time to give us your feedback.

Again, I apologize for your less than stellar stay.

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Naples, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great service at low cost. This was unexpected but the service I received was completely unexpected. Great food, clean surroundings and helpful staff. Amad was great at the bar. Will be coming back soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Emily:

What a fantastic compliment to refer to us as European hospitality! Thank you.

I am thrilled our staff meet and exceeded your expectations, not to mentioned the fact you enjoyed our great menu and clean rooms.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to your next visit.
Bridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel needs updating and alot of renovations . We stayed in the tower in room 7923 ...it was basic, but clean and the beds and towels were sorted everyday.
If your looking to stay at a marriot style and quality hotel then this is not for you.
This is a budget hotel ....basic amenities ...and poor facilities...
However as a base just to sleep it was fine ....
Dont expect too much and then you wont be disappointed .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry J
I am pleased you found our resort pleasant and clean. We have been working diligently on improving and updating the resort daily.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope we see you again in the not so distant future.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here 10 years ago as a couple when it was the Holiday Inn and liked it so we decided to return here when we brought our 8 year old daughter. We were very impressed, on arrival, with the reception area and the staff on the front desk. We were given a room in the tower block - even though the brochure had stated that families with children under 12 were not accomodated in the tower block - but it was ok. The only downside was that there was only ever two lifts working at once during the whole of our stay - 3 weeks - one was always out of order. The room was good, if a little dated. It was spacious, the beds were comfortable and the shower was powerful. It was good for what we needed as we didn't spend loads of time in there as we were mostly out and about at theme parks and such. Also we had a great view from our room as we overlooked Universal and could see rides like 'Hulk', 'Doctor Doom', 'Rip, Ride, Rockitt' as well as 'Hogwarts' from our window. The pool area was fab and our daughter loved being in the pool and she enjoyed the Alligator Alley (even after being nervous going in there at first). The only really big moan we had about this hotel was the shuttle buses to the parks. In the brochure it states there are complimentary shuttles to all parks and there are but the service to the Disney parks is very limited. We were told at one point that there are only 90 complimentary seats over the 3 time slots and these were often booked up very quickly. It actually got to the point where I was getting up @ 6am to book a Disney shuttle for the following day. The desk opened at 7am and the shuttles were often completely booked by 7.30am due to the number of people getting up early and queueing just to book a shuttle. However if they were out of complimentary seats they would book you as many seats as you wanted for $15 per person! The shuttles to Universal and Seaworld were better and more easily available. We didn't use the bar area as we went to a bar over the road called 'Murphys Arms' which was fab and well worth a visit but we did often use the cafe in the lobby for coffee and cereal on park days as it was more convenient than going to Ponderosa across the street and was also good value. The only time we used the hotel restaurat for a breakfast we found it to be a little expensive compared to the Ponderosa and Great Western we had been frequenting. All the staff were very good, the room was cleaned daily and - as a result of our daughter locking us out of the safe - we found the staff were very prompt in dealing with incidents as they came up to the room within 10 minutes to sort out the safe. Would definitely consider going back here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Haywoodfamily
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Haywood Family:

I am so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I do apologize for your issues with the elevators and wanted to share with you that they have been repaired and are up and running.

I can completely understand your being a little nervous about the Alligator Alley events, but pleased you overcame that and were able to enjoy all this event has to offer our guests.

We did add additional shuttles during the time you were here and will continue to monitor busy times of the year to help alleviate this issue in the future. I will share your positive comments about your clean room and good staff internally and can assure you they will be pleased with your kind words.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to a future visit.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was very concerned about staying at this hotel after reading some reviews and seeing some pictures however I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived at the hotel p.m of 21st April for 2 weeks. Our room was 7150 in the tower block. Reception very friendly and accommodating. Our room was very large with two double beds and well equipped bathroom. The room had a good powerful hair dryer, TV, phone, iron, ironing board, fridge, air con. The decoration is exactly what I expected for a mid range American hotel. Over all for what we paid I was happy. We had a great view of the pool and international drive. The shower was very powerful. A couple of things were worn in the room but nothing that would bother me. The only negative thing I can say about the room was that it had two internal doors leading to other rooms either side. Therefore you could clearly hear people next door. At one stage we had 4 rowdy adults staying next door and they were extremely loud at 2-3am. I had to call reception twice to get security out to ask them to quieter down. If you are a light sleeper/ have a young family and are generally quiet in the evenings I would request to stay in another building and not the tower block. Two out of the three lifts were fully functional throughout our whole holiday and we always had clean towels supplied to room.
The hotel facilities were fine and the pool was nice. The service at the bar for us wasn't great but we didn't spend a lot of time there so that wasn't a problem. The hotel supplied free shuttle buses to lots of parks. It's best to book them the night before as they can only fit 12 people per bus but we never had a problem getting on.
The hotel is about 1.5 miles from universal studios so you can walk but a taxi is only $7 so getting a taxi each was is cheaper than park parking which was $17.
Wet and wild water park is about 2 minutes walk from hotel and there are loads of restaurants in walking distance of the hotel, Applebee's was our personal favourite.
Overall our stay was great! The hotel is what we paid for and the location for us was perfect. I would stay here again but would request staying in another building and not staying in the tower block due to the noise from neighbouring rooms. Happy holidays!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the tower block if noise from others bothers you
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aimee L
Dear Aimie:

I am happy you felt you got your money's worth and that you had a great stay.

I do apologize for your noisy neighbors, but am pleased our security was able to assist with your call. I understand our guest are here to have a good time, but every now and then we need to remind some of our guest to be respectful of their surroundings.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and I look forward to your next visit!