This was my first time to Florida and our honeymoon. Obviously, I was very excited for the trip and wanted everything to be perfect. We actually booked the hotel through Virgin Holidays, a week before we left and only had a short amount of time to research the hotel. This was the first leg of our trip and we weren’t too worried as we knew we would be spending the days at all the parks (we are big kids!) We arrived at the hotel (we had booked transfers through Virgin from the airport) and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. It was a very easy check-in and were handed our keys to our room, which was in the ‘Tower’ that was not attached to the main building.
As I had never visited Orlando before, we thought this was normal. We then realized what ‘Tower’ they were talking about – it was very high but after the long flight we were happy to kick back and relax! When we walked over, I was aware at how open the rooms were, all the doors were accessible by anyone. We were firstly given a room on the 4th floor (out of 14), which I was happy with. The rooms were massive, but very dated, however for what we wanted it for we were pleased. After worrying that anyone could just walk up to the rooms, once in I felt very safe. The bed was very big (my husband is 6ft 4 – and he had a lot of space), we had a sofa, table, TV, safe, hanging space and desk with chair. The air con was quite loud, but needed as the window didn’t open, the curtains were lined, which again we were happy with. My husband went to have a shower but no water came out. We phoned down to reception and they sent someone over straight away. He was very pleasant and did the best he could to fix it, however he couldn’t.
The receptionist offered to move us straight away. As I was a bit wary of the ‘Tower’, I asked if we could be moved to the main building, we went to look at the rooms but they smelt of smoke, were quite dark and a lot smaller than the others, so we decided to stay in the tower. The only room they had was on the 14th floor, I was a bit wary of this, but thought no one would bother to come up to the top floor if they wanted to steal anything!! So we re-packed and moved up, I am so glad that the lift was working (other guests had said it had broken before). The top floors of the tower had undergone renovation, however I couldn’t see what had been done. The shower worked, the bed was comfy and the views were AMAZING!
We went down to breakfast the next day and did a bit of nosing around the complex – which was fabulous! Breakfast was an all you can eat buffet (charged extra) and the 2 staff that were generally always on (Marybeth and Simo (I think)) were always accommodating and friendly. They always put us near the window, even if it wasn’t their area to work in. They really made the stay lovely, and their knowledge of the local area was fantastic!
The Expedia local knowledge stand (where you can book excursions and park tickets) was a very good idea. Their knowledge of the local area and the amount of discount vouchers they had was exceptional. There were 2 of them that was very helpful and 1 that was always late in the mornings and from his lunch break. Our package included free shuttle to the parks – which was just AMAZING. We booked every night for the early one. The drivers were friendly and always on time. The meeting point was easy to remember at both Universal and Disney. The only other thing I would recommend, would be to have more locations for the Disney shuttle, as the only location is at Magic Kingdom.
All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised with the International Palms Resort as I had read a few bad reviews. Yes the rooms are a bit dated and tired, but you will either be there for business or to visit the Theme Parks, which means you are only going to be using it to sleep in. I would definitely stay here again, it is close to everything that you need when in Orlando and on International Drive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The International Palms Resort & Conference Center has temporarily closed to undergo a complete renovation that will include a branding change, remodeling of the guest rooms, lobby & dining facilities, pool area and 20,000 sq. feet of convention space. Renovations are expected to be complete towards the beginning of 2018. When searching for ideal Orlando Florida hotels or resorts for your Central Florida vacation, meeting or event, make your reservation at the International Palms Resort & Conference Center Orlando on International Drive. Our resort is conveniently located in the heart of International Drive and offers guests easy access to the most popular Orlando attractions and exciting things to do. Discover adventurous thrills at Universal Orlando, marvel at an amazing underwater paradise at Sea World, cool off with an exciting trip to Aquatica or Wet n Wild and enjoy some of the best shopping in the world! With our Attractions Shuttle, Lynx Bus Stop, I-Drive Trolley Stop and Dollar Rental Car office, we have many ways to help you get around. At the resort, take a refreshing dip in our sparkling outdoor pool or whirlpool hot tub. Work out in our fitness center with an array of exercise machines. For tantalizing meals, choose from several delectable locations, like the Front Street Café, and enjoy a drink and pleasant conversations in our casual Coral Key Bar & Grill or Gator Joe's Poolside Bar. Experience event planning Florida-style, with delicious catering menus and 20,000 square feet of event space to meet all your needs. For great Orlando vacation deals, we offer an Orlando value vacation for your family or romantic getaway. We look forward to taking EXCELLENT care of you at the International Palms Resort & Conference Center Orlando! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your International Palms Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- International Palms Hotel Orlando
- International Palms Resort And Conference Center
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Holiday Inn International Drive Florida
- Holiday Inn International Drive Orlando
- Orlando Holiday Inn
- International Palms Resort & Conference Center Orlando, Florida