“International Palms Resort 11 Day Holiday”

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #257 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stopped in this hotel in April 2013 for 11 nights.

We booked out holiday through Thomson and when we first arrived they didn't have our booking along with another couple that also travelled with Thomson. We were waiting around in reception for a good 15 minutes before they found us a room. I am not too sure who's fault it was but it wasn't the best start to the stay.

Our rooms were in the tower and over looking the busy road. But we had a nice view of the taller rides in Universal Islands of Adventure. When we arrived into the room is was spacious and standard. The main important thing for me is that the beds are clean, no bugs to be seen and the bathroom to be clean. The first thing that I do is strip the beds to ensure that there are no bed bugs present and I am happy to confirm that there were none. When I went into the bathroom the toilet and bath tub was clean. The shower head had some lime scale build up but nothing that a good clean couldn't sort out.

The beds were made every day but the trash wasn't always taken out, we had an empty pizza box in a room for 2 days before we took it to the bin ourselves. The rooms were dated and could do with an upgrade but it provided a great base for the theme parks. the location is great with great transport links with a bus stop being right outside.

One of the reasons why we chose this hotel is because of the free shuttle service to Universal, Disney and SeaWorld. This is a rare thing for hotels on I-Drive.

We are currently looking at booking another trip to Orlando but I wont be stopping here again until they have fully renovated this hotel. From reading recent reviews I think that we got lucky with our room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsFantham88
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

I am happy your room was clean and apologize for the housekeeping issue. I will address this with the housekeeping manager and the staff.

Thank you for mentioning the complimentary shuttle service. I did want to share with you we are constantly working on refurbishing our resort on a daily basis to give it a fresh new look and feel.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we value each and every one of our guest comments.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Travelled here single Mum with my 12 year old daughter. So here's a frank overview of this hotel. Yes it's probably overdue a refurb and yes it's pretty basic (bit like an old Crowne Plaza) but I have to say the room we were in was spot on - Block D facing I4 so pretty quiet at night (apart from air con) and we were on the 5th floor. Never had a problem getting a lift or them being out of use. The room had a microwave and a nifty coffee/tea maker which made do for a morning brew.
As far as location is concerned it's spot on, out to the left is Universal just 5 mins away and further on IDrive is the Orlando outlet shopping village. Out and to the right of hotel about 15 mins away is Sea World, plus close to the I4 for Disney so to be honest you can't really go wrong here.
The hotel free shuttle bus was always available and just needs booking the day before, handy if you don't have a car but I'm really glad I did have one as tootling around (and getting lost) was done a lot !
So all in all a decent hotel and let's face it we were only in there to sleep after many a long day :)

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank J77SUM

I am happy you and your daughter had such a memorable stay!

Thank you for mentioning our excellent amenities and centralized location and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I hope this means we will have the pleasure of your company again with a future reservation.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Third stay at this hotel. Tower block in need of updating still. One lift constantly out of order. Main hotel rooms a lot better.

Staff very friendly.

Excellent central location.

Great free shuttle buses to parks. Lack a little organisation as over booked on many occasion.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Jem007FA40

I am so happy to read this is your third stay with us and thank you for your loyalty.

We have been hiring and training new staff and I'm pleased their excellent customer service skills were acknowledged by you.

I would have to agree with you about our excellent location and apologize for some of our complimentary shuttles being overbooked. We have a new transportation company and they are in the process of working on correctly booking the shuttles. The good news is we are able to accommodate more of our guest with this new service so I look forward to 100% customer satisfaction with this service.

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to visit number four!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is in a good location with lovely facilities for the price and is generally well maintained.On check in the reception staff were friendly , knowledgeable and efficient
However , we arrived in our room to find the bedding unchanged and pillows reeking of BO
On request , the management agreed to "deep clean" the room and replace bedding and pillows but the maid was only instructed to change the pillow cases . Eventually bedding and pillows were changed after three days but by then the toilet had blocked and overflowed . At least this problem was resolved quickly by maintenance and the bathroom given a decent clean.
The alarming thing was that the reception staff were not surprised at the bedding problem and the blocked toilet appears in other reviews .
Its a shame because the pool area is lovely with a live alligator compound/shows next to it and nice bar by the pool
We were in Block D which is recommended because it has had a recent refurb
Also the parking lot is very poorly maintained with the surface breaking down in areas

Room Tip: Block D is supposed to be best because of recent upgrade and good size room but the tower apparently...
1  Thank 14garibaldi
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

I am truly sorry you experienced the issues you did. We are working diligently to improve our resort on a daily basis and we take our guest reviews very seriously.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I will share your comments with my entire staff.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

On walking into the hotel foyer i thought...yes this looks ok, a bit dated but still ok....alarms should have rung as 3 people were complaining and cleanliness and things not working!
Our safe didnt work, our tv didnt work, bathroom was cruddy and so so old. The block our room was in was like a ghetto out of the 1950s. The shuttle bus to the parks, although free, were never on time. Waiting for the 10.30 pm bus back to the hotel from Disney it was obvious it wasnt coming by 11.00 so another of our party rang the hotel and was told to take a taxi and they would pay on our arrival back, one problem there was 24 of us!!! They sent the shuttle for us, no apologies. Children were asleep on the pavement for goodness sake because they were so tired!! Location wise it was perfect but i think it needs more than one good point to make me want to go back again, terrible

Room Tip: dont go, book a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank dawn0079585
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I will address your comments with the owner of the shuttle company and your remaining comments with my department heads.

We are working daily on updating the resort and we value our guest comments.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Ever book a hotel room (like in Vegas) and say "well we aren't going to be spending that much time in the room anyway"? Do not think that when booking this hotel. Photo's looked nice, reviews were average, it was very close to our park destination and on I Drive in Orlando. Never again. As a Floridian I am ashamed that this hotel is representing us to our tourism clientele. We booked this hotel for 2 nights, as we were taking the kids to the theme parks. It had a pool and it advertised "nightly s'more and movies by the pool". Negative. When we checked in the lobby looked very nice. I had paid for 2 pool-side rooms. When we got to the counter I was told that they were at sold out capacity, therefore not only could we not get adjoining rooms but we could not get our pool side rooms either. They put us in a "tower suite". Allow me to begin our experience: the tower was a run down open atrium building adjacent to the actual hotel. Very run down, very dirty. Our room was one of those rooms where you need to keep your shoes on...carpet heavily stained and sticky. Furniture did not match, tube TV's, pubic hair in the shower(and on the shower curtain), dried blood on the bathroom door, broken tile in the shower as well as moldy grout. The bathroom door did not shut properly due to the fact that it had obviously been painted over 4 or 5 times. I could tell(from all of the scratches and dents) that as it was once pink, baby blue, white and brown. Hangers in closet were rusted, I would not hang anything on them due to the fact that they may stain my close as well as give me tetanus. The mattresses were beyond hard. We kept waking up in the night because they literally were that uncomfortable. My husband is a heavy sleeper that can sleep through virtually anything and he kept waking up.
We went to explore the pool and hotel with the kids: every public bathroom in the hotel was filthy. The staff in the bar had a "I-just-don't-care-anymore" attitude. This I am quoting from the two bartenders who were talking to each other in front of not only the manager but the bar patrons as well. I will have to say, it did work to my advantage when I ordered my Goose and soda as I was poured a half a tumbler of vodka.
Again, I am so very disappointed. I was not expecting the Ritz but I was expecting to sleep in a clean room or even one that looked like the pictures they advertise. The low price is not worth the horrible experience.

Room Tip: Try to push for the pool side rooms, they may be cleaner.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

I do apologize for all the issues you experienced and will share your comments with our department managers.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your stay with us and allowing us the opportunity to address each and every concern.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Super value for money !!!!! We paid £50 a night for a family of 4. Hotel has a great number of extra features that made our stay enjoyable. Free WIFI in room as well as in lobby and round the pool ! Offered free printing really useful for flight tickets. Large pool area. Shops onsite. Launderette facilities. Cafe. Free parking. Movie night every evening. Location right opposite Wet and Wild on international drive. We used the hotel as a base whilst we explored Orlando coming back in the early evening for a swim. Perfect for our needs. I had read mixed reviews and yes the hotel is a little tired BUT the price paid reflects this - I sometimes think people expect too much for their money and we also saw maintenance men updating rooms and main walk ways during our stay. We stayed in the low rise building and our room had two double beds with a microwave and fridge. One evening we rented a movie from the hotel and watched in our room with take out. Great hotel for families just appreciate what you are getting for the money you have paid

My 11 year old's review :
Palms Risort was a very friendly and welcoming resort filled with helpful staff . It was really good for its money as it had everything you really needed. It had a massive pool and even a crocodile sanctuary, there beside it was a chalk board and on it said all the different shows and activities you could come to free of charge involving the crocs. Or if u didn't want to go to the show u could just have a stroke about you can even feed the crocodiles!!! ...but not sort of my thing !!
It was next to all the shops and best restaurants and even opposite the water park!!! It is great for kids !!! I had a really nice time at the palms resort. And I am sure u will to!!!

3  Thank RB68

What a wonderful review and I must say it is the first time I have received a review from an 11 year old! I am so happy you and your family had such an excellent stay. I appreciate your mentioning all of our wonderful amenities and thank both of you for taking the time to write a review.

I hope we have the pleasure of your company again!