Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to renovation.

“not as bad as some say”

International Palms Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #258 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“not as bad as some say”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

On our arrival hotel looked okay but on check in we were made to feel very uneasy by the manner of the 'gentleman' on the reception desk - unfortunately his name was not taken (not all staff were rude I must say). We were on holiday with another family but when we attempted to check in there was only one room available & we had to wait 2.5 hours for our room as was not ready for us - surely if a booking was made they should have had our rooms ready & available. He then demanded we pay a resort fee which we knew was inclusive in our holiday & not to be paid but was adamant we handed over our credit card. When questioned he advised it was for wi-fi, fridge, microwave & shuttle to parks - all of which were actually described by our Virgin holiday as INCLUSIVE as was described in their hotel guide information located in the rooms. Took us 2 days to convince/prove to them they had no right in charging this money which was already taken from my credit card account!. Rooms were basic but clean & beds comfy. We had to switch the fridge off at night as the noise was louder than the air con. Staff from Local Expert who arrange the shuttle transport were very good, very pleasant & polite & no faults to advise there. Pool was clean & lovely. Hotel was ideally situated for Wet n Wild & i-trolley buses ideal location with great shops & restaurants on doorstep. Overall our holiday was fab just the initial check-in spoilt it for us which was disappointing.

2 Thank MELANIE H
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
I do apologize for your check in experience and will be addressing this personally with the staff. It is not our standard and it is not acceptable on any level.

After said that, I want to thank you for mentioning our clean rooms and pool area as well as our excellent centralized location.

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and hope this means we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. John's
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I stayed at IP in 2012, stayed in the tower, and was impressed, so much so that when my husband and I decided to get married in Orlando, we booked our stay and encouraged our friends and family to stay at the hotel.

When we checked in however, I was extremely disappointed to learn that we were located in A Block (along with my mother, and an aunt and uncle). We walked into our room to find it smelling of cigarette smoke, and the carpets were actually soaking wet (a broken AC unit, we assume), and several other unfortunate things. We were reluctant to unpack anything, including my wedding dress, because the room was so damp and smelled so awful. I am normally pretty laid back when it comes to hotel rooms, I only need it for a place to sleep, so we went to bed and decided if the smell and dampness didn't go away, we would talk to the front desk in the morning.

The next day, more friends arrived and were also put in Block A and they refused to stay, so the easily switched to tower rooms. Our room was still awful, so we went to the front desk, and the man working on the desk was very gracious and without any fuss, gave us keys to a tower room. My family members were also able to switch rooms.

Our new room was amazing, with an awesome, huge window with a view of International Drive. However, with more wedding guests arriving to the hotel, we had to message everyone to make sure that they request tower rooms, just so I knew that none of the guests that I recommended stay at IP, were assigned terrible non-tower rooms.

But other than that, the staff was courteous and the pool was amazing!

So, I would recommend that anyone who books here, request a tower room, and the rooms in the blocks, that my guests and I have experience are all absolutely awful! I think that management should just close all of those buildings and work on renovating the entire group to more closely resemble the updated tower rooms. A person that was assigned a non-tower room may think that better rooms are not available, and leave the hotel with a negative opinion. I only knew to switch because I had used the hotel previously and stayed in the tower in a much nicer room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juanita B
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I am so pleased we were able to turn things around and accommodate you, your family and friends.

Belated congratulations and thank you for submitting a review. I hope this means we will have the honor of your company for a third visit!
Dartford
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This hotel is in a good location with lots of local restaurants, bars and entertainment. Very close to universal and wet and wild. Welcome at hotel distinctly underwhelming. Michael seemed unaware of our booking, asking us what time of room we'd asked for. We explained our booking was made through Thomsons and they should have all our booking details but he still seemed unaware of any of our details. He finically allocated us a room after arguing with us about the resort fee which we insisted we were not paying as thomson customers do not need to. I'm glad I stood my ground as rep confirmed that she is constantly speaking yo front desk about this issue. Michael directed us to our room but made of offer of assistance which meant my husband had yo struggle with myself in a wherlchair, two children and 4 suitcases through numerous doors and gateways. First room we were initially given a room close to the pool area which was appalling. The smell was overwhelming, there was mould and nasty wallpaper borders hanging off the wall. This wax supposed to be an accessible room but we couldn't gain entry into the room as so small furniture was blocking the door. Once inside with 4 people and 4 suitcases there was no room for me to move around the room in my wheelchair. Only one small 3 drawer chest of draws to put a family of 4's clothes, no hanging room. Furniture tired and grubby. Bathroom discusting. We had spent a lot of money and were completely dis satisfied. We contacted guest services and said we were not prepared to spent a single night in this room. This seemed like water of a ducks back and not an eyelid was batted. I was told to hold whilst they located another room. After a few minutes they said they had no more accessible rooms available but they could offer us a standard room in the tower which was bigger. My husband viewed this first because moving us round there. In terms of accommodating the wheelchair the room was much bigger. The decor was an improvement also but bathroom still not great and everything was just very tired and grubby. The air con front kept falling off everytime we went near it. There was water damage to ceiling and carpets. Lifts were a problem. Only 2 out of 3 working. On our first morning we had to wait 40 mins, missing our welcome meeting with out rep. Each lift was crammed to bursting with people. We were only on 4 th floor so the stairs would have been an option for able bodied but clearly not an option to a wheelchair user. God knows how I would have managed in the event of a fire! Another huge problem was the transport. We had specifically booked this hotel because of the accessible transport to all the parks. On our first night we went to the desk to book our transport for the following day only to be told it isn't wheelchair accessible! When we asked what we should do the gentleman ask my husband I'd he could carry me on the bus! We explained this would not be possible and he said he would speak to the manager but returned to tell us there was nothing he could do. We also had 2 days without any hot water. Front desk advised us that they were waiting for a new part to arrive but no apology was given. When you have been at the parks all day in 100 degree heat at incredibly high humidity the first thing you want is a shower. 2 days without this option was unbearable and frankly discusting. We had to change our plans and visit the water parks so that we could use their showers. Our experience was that the hotel were not bothered about addressing our concerns and only dealt with the issues when pushed by our rep who managed to organise taxis or shuttles for us but this was still a pain and extra expense and also vouchers for breakfast in the hotel as compensation for the hot water issues. Without the rep I don't believe either of those issues would have been dealt with. The hotel does had good points. The pool area is great as is alligator alley. The staff in the restaurant at breakfast time were superb but in general we were very dissapointed. I guess if you are looking for a budget hotel and are not spending much time there this hotel would fit the bill providing you got one of the better rooms but if like us this is a holiday of a lifetime then you are bound to be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Tower had bigger rooms
2 Thank Georgie G
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
I am sorry for all the issues you experienced during your visit. I personally was the one to arrange transportation for you and cover the cost due to the problems you were experiencing.

Please know we are working diligently on refurbishing our resort on a daily basis. It's through our guest reviews we continue to improve in the areas that are mentioned. Therefore, thank you for taking the time to write a review and again, I apologize.

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Newcastle
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

As a regular holiday maker to Orlando myself and family had stayed in this hotel from 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2011 when it changed hands to the international palms past experience had been marvellous hotel. Since booking to stay in July this year with eight people I'd highly recommend this hotel. Unfortunately we got the shock of our lives . Booked with thomsons and paid over the top for the holiday . Upon arrival we had to wait until the receptionist could find us two rooms in D block as previously stayed in this block. Our request from thomsons a month before travelling wasn't meet. They only had rooms in the tower block bad start. Eventually the receptionist found us two rooms in D block. What hit us was my worst nightmare come true . Smelly foisty and un inviting room. Sockets hanging out of the walls very dangerous beds hard and lumpy tv a big old antique furniture in need of ripping out oh my word every thing was wrong. Had to go back to reception and give our concerns not very helpful at all . Looked at a further two more rooms each and all of the same condition. I'm highly disappointed with the management and thomsons for selling us this rotten hotel. We had tryed contacting thomsons from reception to no avail. No one to help us. So we took matters into our own hands as responsible parents of six children couldn't risk staying here. We eventually checked out and had to pay $25 for transfer to the rosen Inn 7600 800 meters away . Ridulous . Sad to see how this hotel has declined in standards wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Have also sent my report to thomsons awaiting there response.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank slinkydi2004
I do sincerely apologize for the issues you wrote about. This is the first I have heard of any of this and I promise you I will be looking into this matter.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and once again, I apologize for your stay.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The International Palms Resort is much like all other hotels I've stayed at in Orlando. It's on international Drive which is prime location. Easy to get to everything from the I4 etc. The hotel itself, we stayed in the 'tower' part of the hotel. This actually isn't all that bad. Lifts, ice machines etc all work perfectly. The staff are really good. The only issue is the beds aren't made for anyone bigger than a twiglet! They are described as double but seriously they must be slightly wider than your "average" single bed.
We stayed there in Feb/March time for bike week. So like I said location is great to commute from to the coast but perfect for Disney and other parks. I always find and this maybe a completely personal way of visiting Orlando and surrounding areas but we hardly spend any time in the hotel, literally sleep there, leave your belongs ( locked in room safe ) and aren't back until midnight then up and out again. So, I have no experience of food at the hotel or anything else. The pool is nice but then you have wet n wild just over the road, blizzard beach, all the "real" water parks so that really shouldn't be an issue. The gym is rubbish, about the size of the beds and I think they had one cross trainer and that was that, just enough room to sweat really. The rooms are all very similiar, very good size, secure and clean. Serviced every day, good parking! Ponderosa and loads of restaurants close by, Denny's loads and loads. ....It's International Drive. The hotel really like I said is much like alot of Orlando nowadays, looking a bit shabby and in need of TLC. Much of it hasn't changed at all since about 1989. I swear the area leading up to Disney hasn't changed since 1983, same paint job too! Hopefully business or lease owners will start taking pride in the place again. All the parks ars still superb and people lovely.

Room Tip: Get the tower!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
I appreciate your taking the time to write a review. Our entire staff reads the reviews on a daily basis and we use that feed back to improve our resort and our service.
Middlesbrough, Teesside
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed here recently for two weeks for a family holiday to the theme parks of Orlando. We were initially allocated a room which was awful; mouldy, old fashioned, cramped, noisy air con, awful bathroom and we stuck to the carpets.

We went to reception at 6am the next morning and were dealt with by the wonderful Marybelle and her team who told us to pack up everything and leave our luggage receipts with them. We went out for the day and returned to find we had been moved to the 7th floor of the tower block with a view of the pool and a complimentary tray of iced water, fruit, cheese and crackers. Most touching was a personalised card signed by all of the front of house staff, wishing us a great stay.

The room was clean, and more than big enough for the four of us, lovely view and housekeeping did a great job every day. Yes, only two lifts worked but we never waited more than a few minutes. The pool was great, and the beach bar served fresh and tasty snacks.

Disappointing that the hotel restaurant was closed but the Ponderosa and Brazilian Steak House opposite were great places to eat. Also loads of takeaways and supermarkets close by for an easy option.

The I bus stop was right outside and took us directly to the fantastic outlet stores where there are loads of bargains to be had, take an extra suitcase!

Overall, if we had stayed in the original room our holiday would have been ruined but thanks to the proactive and helpful staff it was made into something fantastic.

3 Thank louise d
I am pleased the staff was able to turn things around for you. Maribel has excellent customer service skills and one of the reasons she is a guest favorite.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to correct the problems while you were still on property and thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

arrived at the hotel, and was presented with a form we had to sign before they would release the keys to us, this form released them of any claim for loss or damage during our stay (strange we thought soon realised why though) and we were given keys and made our way over to our room. we walked through what appeared to be a nice looking hotel following the map and approached 'a 1950's tower block' in the back right hand corner we thought was another hotel and then it dawned on us that this was where our room was, we passed numerous people just hanging around and immediately realised there was no security or staff whatsoever no camera's and the only security for the whole block was that the two working lifts (out of three and some days only one) were key activated, but when the lift finally arrived loads of other people just jumped in making the key system pointless. we made our way up to the room on the four floor to find when entering, both the door that appeared to have previously been kicked in as the door was split all round the lock and the night latch also snapped clean off the door, the room looked fairly clean but lighting that bad it was hard to tell, kids faces dropped when they saw the tv. old tube type that took 15minutes to warm up and change from black & white to colour, paint pealing from the ceiling and the shower fitting hanging out the wall. my wife went straight down to the desk to ask for another room but told she could try a disabled one in the same block. as I looked online as I thought it all was a mistake. they said the hotel was fully booked and no other rooms where available. two days later we managed to get hold of the Thomson rep and explained the problems. she said she was surprised and had never had any other complaints and said she would do what she could. - 'do not trust her' its a lie as seconds later as we walked towards the pool and a man who had overheard us came over and said he was just one of three other british groups he knew off at the hotel with the same problems and it wasn't just us. we were one of at least four staying there at the same time. and told us to go on the recent online reviews which we did. we told the rep we wanted things sorted out or to leave as it was a joke, finally on the fourth day after a phone call from jetsave and the hotel manager we where allowed to view a room as shown In the brochure as one had finally become available, unfortunately in there block d one of four bad rooms next to both the poolside and road entrance doors surrounded by a tiled floor, (all the rest carpeted) and whist checking this room overheard every passing person who sounded three times louder because of the echo, suitcases banging over the tiles door banging etc and realised we would have no chance to get any sleep at all so reluctantly went back to our old room but only on the condition the lock was finally fixed. and true to there word within minutes a maintenance man arrived and changed the lock. the next day the door wouldn't open or lock properly needing slamming and we checked the door was locked three times every time when leaving the room, the following night we came back from Disney and my two boys raced back to the door, as one of them lent on the door it opened and been left like that all day - unlocked by the cleaner and left unsecure so also reported this back to reception and asked them to ensure she closed the door properly when leaving as although we were forced to sign this disclaimer when checking in. there staff should be a bit more professional and check they have closed a customers door properly when leaving as we could have had all our clothes stolen through no fault of our own. and as we were having to live out of suitcases as the rooms have limited storage and not suitable for more than a few night stay it would have took seconds to steel all our clothes in these cases. I also checked the door and realised the night latch the maintenance man had fitted was misaligned preventing the door from closing properly and that's why we had the new problem. the next night we came back to find food flyers wedged in the door again which also proves anyone of the street can enter this block without any problem at all. and was grateful it wasn't the day before as the door would have just flung open as he wedged the flyer in. after reading other reviews of this hotel to ensure we were fair in our conclusions we also come across quite an important point which happened on our transfers in the final days by 'legend transport' and that was it was over subscribed when returning from the parks the last two times as well as being late again he also got parents to put there kids on there laps so he could get everyone on the bus - illegal here, and im sure over there two but didn't pursue as our final nights here finally over and had enough and glad to leave. then the good part of the holiday began cruise and cocoa beech in a hotel of similar price but miles miles better.
good points - hotel staff generally very nice, good location, gator golf across the road is a must - playing crazy golf surrounded by some quite large gators, pool ok but water a strange swamp green colour.
bad points - no security whatsoever in the separate high rise tower block, lifts not working properly and out of test date, no fire hoses in fire hoses cupboards, overloaded often late transfer coach with unsafe and immoral transport practices, tube type TV's, free internet slower than the old dial up type back home, rooms have little storage
so to sum up - only stay here if you are given a room in the two floor buildings within the hotel grounds, don't take anything of value with you, and don't trust the rep as in the Thomson brochure we were given at the travel agent it clearly states anyone with children under 16 would be lodged in the two storey buildings only but the management of the hotel dont care and will put you in the tower block and claim they are fully booked and don't have any other rooms. lower your expectations as far as you can and book direct as its only around £50 a night for four making it and ok but not great stay, were really annoyed as we believe we paid over 4 times the price to our travel agent hence our disgust at value for money. we will be writing to our travel agent next for some answers

Room Tip: not the tower block, unless you want the prison experience, best not chance it and find another hot...
4 Thank 527andy527
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
I sincerely apologize for the issues you have written about. I did want to reassure you, as do the majority of hotels on International Drive, we have a second and third shift security as well as cameras. It goes without saying our guest safety and welfare is our number one priority.

I personally do not recommend the Tower for families with children and again I apologize that you were unable to change rooms due to the occupancy.

Please know we continue working daily to improve our resort and it is through our guest's reviews we will learn areas of concern and address them immediately.