“Perfect stay for Universal Orlando vacation”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Orlando Near Universal Orlando Resort
Ranked #93 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria
“Perfect stay for Universal Orlando vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

Location and amenities were perfect for our family. Clean and comfortable with friendly staff. Hotel was able to switch out our foam pillows for feather pillows when my daughter had an allergic reaction to the foam - I was very impressed by their responsiveness.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wildonva01
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Orlando Near Universal Orlando Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your review and for your 5-star rating! I am happy you had a great stay and that our staff resolved your pillow request promptly and to your liking. We hope to have you stay with us again next time you are in Orlando area. Have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Let me start out by saying: I work for/at Marriott. So don't try to sneak anything past me...I'm ninja style!

This place was fantastic. Galina and another front desk agent...She's from Russia and has long hair (I feel bad I can't remember her name) were really great. I could tell the all the help they offered us was genuine. And all the other staff were great as well. We had a lot of questions, but they answered every single one with a smile.

The location of this hotel was superb! In the same parking lot there was a 24hr Burger King, a Walgreens, 2 or 3 restuarants. Right across the street was a hole in the wall pizza place where we got pizza from for 2 nights and ate it in room (Orlando weather sucks...and we Houstonians complain about ours!). The walk to Universal takes about 20-25 minutes, which is nothing. They also had a complimentary shuttle, but we like walking and we could also get there earlier as the shuttle had designated times.

We did not get to use the other amenities offered, such as the swimming pool (it was raining), the fitness center, or the business center. Did not have any need for them, but nice to know they are there. We did use the laundry room to dry our wet clothes, and works perfectly well.

Onto the rooms. The room was big and spacious. I always enjoy having the sink separated from the toilet and tub. When there is more than one person staying in the room, it helps getting ready in the morning easier. The beds were nice and comfy and especially enjoyed the single AC unit and big screen tv.

The complimentary breakfast was great as well. It saves a lot of money when all you're really looking for is coffee, a bagel, and maybe a waffle. But they also offered different items I have never seen before, such as frozen omelets in a pita pockets. Mind you, I work at a full service Marriott which offers a fresh omelet station with a chef, but I though this was great value and great taste.

The only thing I would suggest the hotel to change or work on is the relationship with the star taxi company that takes you out to the Premium Outlet Mall. They do offer complimentary shuttle round trip, but Star Taxi was not good at all. Once the taxi got to the hotel, he looked at me like he had never seen these vouchers before. We had to have the fd agent (Galina) come out and explain it to him. When we were coming back, we had a few taxi drivers tell us they wouldn't take us back. They didn't want to take a free voucher because they wanted money. We had to call the hotel and they gentlemen at the desk at the time were very helpful and called the company for us. But how would we even recognize who was going to take us? We finally snapped at one of the drivers and they said yes. Again, this is clearly not the hotels fault, but that's because again...I work at one and understand the procedure. If I was not in the industry I would not be able to understand how the hotel could work with such a company. But, just a suggestion.

We had a great time at the hotel. If we ever come back that way, this is the hotel we would stay at. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: This hotel is newer and so the elevators are quieter. But if you like less crowd, ask for rooms away...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review and for excellent rating! It's truly one of the greatest compliments to hear about an enjoyable stay from a colleague! Working in the hospitality industry we are all indeed very detail-oriented and I am happy you were pleased with your experience. Thank you for sharing about our amenities and local area as I am sure it will be appreciated by other travelers. As far as the shuttle to Orlando Premium Outlets, I want to assure you that issues such as you described have been rectified. Thanks again for your comments and have a great day!
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

There was nothing really wrong with the hotel, but there was nothing really good. The bathroom arrangment was not to our liking. The sink is in a separate area from the tub and toilet, so there's no privacy there. Also, there is no dividing door between the living area and the bedroom area. The air conditioning wasn't powerful enough to pull any of the heavy humidity out of the air, so all the textiles felt damp (think clothing, sheets, towels) and, quite frankly, the toilet in our room and the lobby restroom were inadequate for even normal tasks. The breakfast is the usual fare: cold cereal, oatmeal, you-make-waffles, assorted breads, microwave-able sausage sandwiches and something that looked like a corn dog. I probably wouldn't stay here again; it would be worth it to upgrade to one of the higher members of the Marriott family.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank agatha56
Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to hear you did not find our accommodations fitting your needs. Most of our rooms are standard and not as spacious you might have expected. I am sorry to hear about the AC in your room; I wish you reached out to our Front Desk staff in this regard so they could change your room. Last thing we want is for our guests to be uncomfortable. Thanks again for your comments and have a wonderful day!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

A few friends and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites when we went Universal Studios and SeaWorld. It is a Universal Orlando hotel, so you get a great deal on tickets-stay with some discounts and free Citywalk Party passes. The hotel is priced somewhere in the middle range, but the rooms are really nice. We had neat, clean, comfy rooms with great service! Hotel staff was helpful with suggestions on when to leave, how to travel between parks, where to order-in from at the end of a tiring day a the theme parks. Just let the staff know where and what you wanna do the next day and they will set up the cab/shuttle for you.

In terms of the parks, one thing you MUST do for Universal Studios and Islands of Adv is to buy the Express Pass along with your regular tickets. It's amazing how much time and energy you will save. Also, if you go for the ticket-stay deal, check out all the places where you can avail of carefully. The list ranges from hotels, pubs to stores. Ask the front desk officers if you're confused!!

Overall, we had a blast at the parks and yummy meal and comfy bed to return to!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rohini G
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Orlando Near Universal Orlando Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you for your review and for sharing tips about our partner- Universal Orlando! I am happy you enjoyed our rooms and staff service. We hope to have you stay with us when you come back to visit Orlando!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights a friend and I while we did the parks. The rooms was nice and clean and the house keeping were good.
The breakfast is included but is not much to shout about and could be much better than toast, bagels, breads and jams.
The reception males were not great and told us the only way to get to Disney was in a cab, it is at least 25 mins away and would have cost us a fortune. We asked again at reception when it was a female on and she got us the bus time table from under the counter and it cost us a couple of $'s on the local bus which was nice and clean.
The pool got a little noisy early evening but closed at about 8pm so not too much of a problem.
There is a free shuttle bus to universal studios but in all honesty it is about a 15 minute walk away so if you missed the bus it's ok.
There are various restaurants that deliver to the hotel including TGI's , pizza hut etc so if you have run out of energy at the parks it just arrivs at your door.
There is not an awful lot around the hotel Part from other hotels unless you walk to I-drive which is only 10 mins away but looked a little unsavoury for night time.
I think this would be ok if you had a rental car, they have a large car park too.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle N
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms and amenities as well as proximity to Universal and I-Drive. We hope to see you again next time you are In Orlando area. Have a wonderful day!
Arvada, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I am a stickler for details and on a "5-star" scale a 5 must be practically perfect. 4 is exceeding expectations and a 3 is meeting my expectations. I give this place a 4.

When our goal is to visit a place and spend several days to see sights, all we really look for is a basic place where we can sleep, get clean, and maybe hit the pool now and again. This place had all that and I tell you, it was very comfortable and I slept very, very well. I was surprised how quiet this place was. We stayed 5 nights and I didn't get woken up a single night we were there........which I cannot remember ever saying about another hotel in my memory.

Good self-serve breakfast in the AM.....a bit more than a traditional continental breakfast.....but reasonable to get things going each AM. My son loved the make-your-own-waffles. Basic fruits, cereals, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee, yogurt, etc. are all a part of the fare.

Small pool and workout room was nice. We liked having the pool in the afternoon/evening when it was in shade and not too hot to sit out for a bit of reading or a cool swim.

This place is a close walk to Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure......maybe 0.5 to 0.75 miles, if you are up for it.

Starbucks, Wendy's, Burger King, and Golden Corral (not my thing) for some inexpensive places to eat are right in the parking lot. Miller's Orlando Ale House (seafood) or Carrabba's are right there too!! Many, many places are also nearby and just a short drive away.......just check TripAdvisor listings or your favorite restaurant/food app on your smart phone.

Room Tip: My suggestion would be anything NOT on the first floor. If you are on the EAST side of the building...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean O
Thank you for your review. I am very happy to hear out that our location and amenities we provide exceeded your expectations! I hope that you will stay with us again in future and have a great day!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

This looked like a place I would never stay at....but it was convenient to family, so we booked it. Almost all the staff was extraordinary! And if not they were just good. So helpful. Room was great...except those mattresses are just too soft for my needs!! However they listened to my concerns and dialogued. Offered a board next time. Pool and hot tub area was a bit squeezed in - and yet sufficient and enjoyable. Breakfast was very good and again, the staff was helpful beyond expectations. THey really work at getting you to enjoy your visit. Great location to Universal Studios - maybe next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review. I am happy you gave us a chance and chose our property for your visit to Orlando. It makes us feel great that you were not disappointed and enjoyed our rooms and staff service. Thanks again for sharing about your experience and have a great day!