“Average hotel...”

Ranked #76 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Average hotel...”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This isn't the best hotel, in my opinion.
Pros; The pool was open all night, free breakfast and drinks at night (see below), Good sleep.
Cons; For one, the hotel is elegant in a way but very old fashioned. When we got to our room, it was extremely un-modern. We stayed in room 111 Which was a 1 bedroom suite so I slept in the living room with the fold-able bed and my father slept in the bedroom. We had a pretty good sleep although I constantly found myself waking up in the middle of the night because the bed was kind of thin and you could feel all the metal bars and springs and things through the mattress. The free breakfast and drinks were disgusting. Cold fry up and cereal then cheap, generic beer (one per person,per night and you had to wait for the staff to operate the service) The pool was okay. It was heated, and open late so after a long day at universal studios, I often went for a swim. Although there are also a LOT of bugs around the pool area.
Overall, an okay-ish hotel but not living up to a four star place.

Room Tip: According to other reviews, stay away from room 109
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny C
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay, and will be sure to pass your feedback on to the relevant departments for review. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night on Thursday, April 3rd. I have stayed at this hotel on two other occasions this Spring 2014 - for one 5 night duration and another single night. The first two stays were fine although during one of them, the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and then went off three more times the following day (thankfully, there was no fire but it was super annoying). Overall, the hotel is very reasonably priced but it desperately needs an update.

The last time we stayed, the room's carpets seemed dirtier than what we had in the past but we thought maybe they were just stained. Whatever, fine for one night. We got the room unpacked and my family went down to the pool. I went to take a shower and the water would not drain. Not only that, the tub had not been cleaned so there was a puddle of other people's filth and hair. Totally not going to happen so I called the front desk and explained the tub situation to him. Disturbingly, the night manager didn't seem surprised and he offered to move us. I said that we had already unpacked and I am alone in the room - I'd have to repack everything by myself and move it alone. He made a couple of snarky "jokes" about how we were only there for one night. Yes, but I was catching a flight the next day and so we had packed separate suitcases. Not that it should matter how long we were staying. A dirty tub is a dirty tub and is unacceptable. Anyway, I reluctantly agreed to be moved as it was the only option he gave me. I hung up and started to pack while waiting on maintenance to bring up the new room keys. I decided to call back and just ask if he could instead send cleaning supplies and I would just clean it myself. Disturbingly (again), he said he didn't have access to any cleaning supplies. This is a manager, mind you. Okay, so I finish packing and the maintenance man brings me the new room keys. I ask him to wait so I can make sure the next tub was clean and would drain. He seemed to think I was being unreasonable but he waited anyway. The next tub was fine so the man left and I made 4 trips in order to transfer all of our stuff and then unpacked everything again. I received no discount, no apology, and was essentially mocked for only staying one night. Had he taken a moment to check our history, he would have seen that we have stayed for a longer period in the past. We live in Florida and have season passes to Disney World so we do not need to book the hotel for a week every time we go to DW, nor should we have to in order to receive a clean room and a little respect.

Overall, the hotel seems to be more suited for out-of-staters who need to spend a week or more at this hotel. For Floridians who want to come at random intervals and have the audacity to expect cleanliness and decent hospitality, you're probably better off finding something else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank M K
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
We are so sorry to hear that your most recent experience was disappointing. We appreciate your feedback, and have relayed your comments to appropriate departments for immediate improvements. We truly appreciate our repeat guests, and hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you better hospitality next time.
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel worked really well for my fiancé and I who stayed for two nights. I was pleasantly surprised at how large the room was: a kitchen, dining table, living room with TV, bedroom with two beds and a TV, and a spacious bathroom. Free breakfast and wi-fi are must have amenities at any hotel, in my opinion, and Hawthorn was reliable for both. Most hotels that have wi-fi I find provide extremely slow and/or inconsistent internet access. There's a pool and game rooms, so it'd be a nice hotel to lounge in for a day, although we didn't have time for that. Business center allows free boarding pass printing, but other use of the computers is quite expensive.

The main reason we chose this hotel is because we wanted easy access to both universal and Disneyworld. It saved us the cost of two days of rental car. Free shuttle service to disneyworld and $10 roundtrip shuttle service to universal per person. I would not recommend using these shuttles if you're on a time crunch. The shuttle stops at other hotels, and thus takes a long time to get to your destination. We had to hitch a cab to the airport at 3pm, so we opted for a cab to universal instead of waiting for the long shuttle ride. The shuttle times are also rather inconvenient. We went to Epcot for a day and reserved a spot on the 10:30 pm shuttle, but we were so bored at Epcot that we wanted to leave by 3 pm. We had to kill time until the first shuttle back to the hotel (6 pm). But considering it's a complimentary shuttle service, I can't ding the hotel for having set, organized times. What would have put this hotel over the top is some sort of shuttle service to the airport.

Management was very nice, but don't buy tickets from them for any theme parks. I don't know if they're clueless or trying to make an extra buck, but they say they sell theme park tickets for the same as the theme parks themselves, but that's not true. Expect to pay an extra $10 per person, at least, if buying from the hotel. You do get to avoid ticket lines, but generally the lines weren't that bad this time of year anyway.

You'll need a rental car if you want to drive to several places. We only had time for Disneyworld and Universal, so the shuttles/cabs were cheaper than renting a car, but if you want to take the time to enjoy things like downtown disney and universal city walk, having a car would help. We actually went out and walked to downtown disney (2 miles away). We enjoyed it, and other than WWoHP, it was my favorite part of the trip. If you're not fond of walking and taking in the city as you go (most of the walk is passing by hotels, so not much to see), then I'd rent a car. Just keep in mind parking at the parks is ~ $15 for the day.

All in all, paying under $90 per night for a suite, with complimentary shuttle service, free breakfast, free wi-fi, good service, and walking distance (for us) to great restaurants (you must try Havana's cuban!) and downtown disney, I'd recommend this hotel. I just wish we had more time to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joey E
Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate your comments, and are sure that future guests will find your transportation tips useful. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed 6 nights there myself and my 4 children. I am a single parent so my kids ran around the hotel and hung out alot in the arcade and pool. My kids kept telling me they liked Luis the front desk manager and said they were sad leaving them and I am happy that he was friendly with them. He was always smiling and seemed like he liked his job. I also liked the hotel it was clean pool was clean breakfast was good every day. I cannot complain. I got this place on hotwire and was very satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mdzn5440
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thanks so much! We are thrilled to hear that our hotel worked so well for you and your children and that you all had a fantastic stay. We will be sure to let Luis know how much you all enjoyed his hospitality. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting this area.
Mullion, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed 5th march for 14 days six adults plus four children in three suites.The staff are really helpful nothing too much trouble especially good with the children.Melbys went the extra mile built up a good relationship with our grandchildren .We looked at previous reviews of the property cannot understand the negative attitude written in some reviews.We really enjoyed are stay free breakfast was good ,the free drink evenings excellent..The suites , public areas ,and pool area always very clean.Excellent base for visiting disney we would stay again.The fact the tv,s are not flatscreen and that the property is in certain areas in need of updating we found did not affect our stay after all we spent little time in our rooms to sum up the hotel exceeded our expectations.The day we left was sad for us all .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Colin K
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a great review! We are thrilled that our suites were ideal for you and your family and that you all had a wonderful experience with us. We are thrilled that our staff was so helpful and friendly, and we will be sure to pass along your kind words to them. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you all back again soon!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Busy little hotel,with well maintained public areas and nice pool area. The rooms are well equiped and spacious,but really need updating. If you want a bath request it beforehand, I thought all rooms had baths but we were put in one without and when we asked to change to a room with a bath we were told there were none available.
The staff were efficent, and the hotel reasonably clean-although our bed sheets were stained.
The complimentary breakfast is basic but plentiful.
Location is fine if you have a car, but we didn't and found it hard to get around. The local shops and restaurants are limited and a good 15 minute walk away (mainly unlit at night).
The free shuttle bus is a mixed blessing. It takes you to Epcot at either 8.30, 11.10 or 12.45, but it picks up at a number of other hotels first and you then have to get disney transport to all other parks. This is time consuming (you wait about 20-30 minutes for connecting buses), and you have to tell the driver (who worked from 8am-11pm all 9 consequtive days we used the shuttle!) what time you want to return-either 6, 8 or 10.30pm. The taxi back from the Magic Kingdom after the fireworks is about $30-you can't get back in time for the shuttle. We wouldn't advice using it for Universal Studios, it took us 2 hours to get there on the shuttle, and it takes a similar time to get to downtown disney or the water parks using the shuttle as you have to go to Epcot and then get a bus to a disney hotel and then get another bus to these.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 866traveller
Thank you so much for your comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us, and that you found your room spacious and well-equipped. We appreciate all of your insights and suggestions and will certainly pass them on to the appropriate departments. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting this area.
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here for a business conference (not at this hotel). The grounds are very nice, staff is helpful, friendly and accommodating, it was a very large suite with 2 TVs and a kitchenette. It came with a free breakfast buffet, which was very good and free Wifi Internet access, which also was excellent. The room was comfortable, but dated. The carpet was worn, the air conditioner worked well but was very noisy, as was the refrigerator. The beds were comfortable. Overall, it was a good value since I got a deeply discounted rate. I was happy with the hotel for the price I paid.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mairead N, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the amenities in your suite, our complimentary breakfast, and our helpful staff. Thank you again, and we hope that you will stay with us the next time you are visiting this area.