“Can't wait to go back:)”

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #16 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I traded for this resort through interval. My 4 year old is into pirates so when I heard this place was pirate themed I booked it. From the pirate water slide pool for youngsters, to the playground, to treasure hunts. Such a fun place for kids. All the pools worked out well...they were walk in pools, so I did not have to worry about my two year old who does not know how to swim. They also have a special water park for toddlers....it was closed for upgrading when we were there...but looked like a lot of FUN!!! There is also a pool that has a water slide (must be atleast 42 inches to go on). They also have a great mini golf course...it's actually impressive for a smaller resort. I loved how you had a smaller resort with big resort living. There is a wonderful opportunity to have a free 5x7 family photo taken. If you want they can sell you a package aswell....NO high pressure sales though. We did enjoy the Family karyoke one night...that was a lot of fun. There is also a great little area to grill out or play some pool while the kids are on enclosed playground. My kids enjoyed this place so much, I had to bribe them to leave to go to Disney. Overall just a great Family friendly place...I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Maine2002
Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed 26 February 2009

We bought a week at Horizons back in Jan '2002 while we still living in the Orlando area. Unfortunately all we could afford at the time was to buy it for every other year. But this has become my children's absolute favorite place to stay. Activities are planned throughout the week. A couple of the favorites of my kids were the miniature golf course and the afternoon ice cream sundae parties. For a relatively small price the family can have unlimited use of the miniature golf during the week.

We always have a two bedroom unit and it's comfortable, though perhaps a bit smaller than other timeshare resorts. The staff is friendly and always willing to help out with any problems. Also a plus is having the washer/dryer in the unit. It's working overtime with my kids constantly using up towels for swimming.

We were unfortunate for 2008 in that by the time we figured out what week during the summer we could all get away, Horizon's was fully booked, so we had to stay at another Marriott resort (which was also beautiful, but didn't have as many activities for the kids).

I would highly recommend this as either a time share purchase or just for a week (or weekend) getaway.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank djschwar
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We just returned from 1 week stay @ Horizons Orlando in a 1 bedroom villa with our (2) kids, ages 6 and 3 1/2. We are Interval owners and exchanged a week for our stay. We had a great week and would recommend this resort to others with kids. I would not recommend Horizons to anyone who wants a quiet, adult experience. There are kids all over the place, in a good way. Lots of fun and new friends for little ones.

Overall Positives:
1. Very, very clean from the grounds to the villas to pool areas. Grounds/Housekeeping are very present and constant.
2. Great staff, very attentive and accommodating.
3. Resort is a nice managable size, not sprawling. easy to walk around to all areas/buildings.
4. Beautifully laid out, lots of places to relax outside of pool areas. Nice dock on the lake, lots of swing chairs. All Key West style buildings. Big firepit, grill area.
5. Great pools. Both pools were open for use during our stay.
6. Lots of non-swim stuff for kids to do (Captain's Quarters/Supervised craft area, Pool/Fooseball/Ping-pong/Video Games area, Great playground). Saw members of Captain's Crew (like camp counselors) attached to kids all the time.
7. Resort location close to everything (shopping, dining, theme parks). No more than a 10 minute drive to most places you would want/need. But you definitely need a car, not really walking distance to anything. There is a public bus that runs on Westwood to I-Drive, but it's inconvenient for shopping, etc.

Overall Negatives:
1. Too close to I-4. The ever-present traffic noise is kind of a bummer. Eventually, you don't hear it, but you always know it's there.
2. We learned that they tend to do resort maintenance during Jan/Feb, their "down" months. As such, Pirate Ship pool was closed first 3 days we were there for repainting. However, the Pirate's Plunge pool was open and operating. In addition, they had set up (2) bounce houses for the kids to play on while the pirate ship pool was closed. Nice, considering they didn't have to. Management committed to have Pirate Ship pool open by Monday of our stay and they met their commitment, so we were able to enjoy it. As we were leaving, they had closed the Spash area in the Pirate's Plunge pool area so that they could paint it as well. I guess the price of cleanliness and beautiful grounds is constant maintenance. In the end, it didn't spoil our fun, though.

Villa positives:
1. We were in Bldg 31, which faces Westwood Road (Main Entrance), 6th floor, in a 1 bedroom lock-off unit. Kids slept on pull-out queen sofa bed that was actually not too bad to sleep on. Overall OK location. Not the best but not the worst in the resort. If I were to pick a location, I would get a room overlooking the Pirate Ship pool. Nicest view.
2. Lovely interior decor. Key West style. Nice bright colors. Our building was opened in Dec 08, so the room was brand new and felt like it. Again, clean! clean! clean!
3. Large flat panel LG TVs in Master and Living Rooms. Separate DVD players for each as well. Helpful with little kids...
4. Nice kitchen area. Large enough to prepare a family meal with ease. Also, very well stocked with utensils, cooking equipment.

Villa negatives:
1. They should consider upgrading the appointments in the villas. We have stayed in villas in other nearby resorts and they usually have things like granite/stone countertops in kitchen and bath areas, jetted tubs in Master bath. Our Horizons villa had formica counters...just not as nice (it's minor, but I noticed). Bathroom, while perfectly OK, felt like a plain old hotel bathroom, not a villa bathroom.

Final tip: For those who don't want the timeshare people calling at 8am during their stay: don't pick up the "welcome package" they offer you when you check-in. It is the loss-leader for the timeshare folks to lure you in. Once you accept that package, they have free license to call you and hound you 'til you give in to the timeshare tour. If you don't pick it up, they don't ever call. You're not missing anything big if you don't pick up the package.

Hope you have as much fun as we did!

7  Thank FreqTravelerBuffalo
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We just stayed for the weekend at the Horizons by Marriott. The room was nice and new. The location was good as well. We did not get hounded by the sales staff. The only problem, and it was a big one, was that the main attraction for the kids was out of commision. The pirate pool was closed. This was why we picked this location and would have stayed elsewhere had we known. There was nothing mentioned when this reservation was made about the pool being closed. Marriott is usually good about noting problems or construction at locations, but they missed it on this one.

6  Thank KSP-HHI
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at the Horizons for a week. Compared to other Marriott Resorts in the vicinity this resort is somewhat smaller, but very cozy. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely furbished. Staff is friendly.

However, it was very unfortunate that our building was undergoing some maintenance during our stay. At 9 AM sharp the noise caused some discomfort and our balcony was covered with plastic covering up all the nice view. We complained to Management but they were not willing to do anything about it. It was too bad that no one informed us of the renovations taking place beforehand.

Nevertheless this resort was experienced as a nice resort and in the end we enjoyed our stay anyway.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Athens123
Reviewed 3 February 2009

My family (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed in an efficiency (much like a regular hotel room, but a bit more space, small kitchenette and a screened in porch) we bought through Interval (getaway). Overall, the efficiency worked for us, though by the end of the week, we were ready for more space! Really like the Horizon-

Pro's:
- Great family pool area and play area (you could easily have spent the whole day there if you weren't going to the parks)
- OK food on site
- Clean
- Felt very secure on site
- Very attractive property...nice to walk around
- For an efficiency, the room (especially bathroom) was nice sized
- Great amount of storage if you unpack
- Easy to get to the resort from I-4 (but away from all of the hubub of 192), and easy to get to the parks by just hopping onto I-4.

Con's:
- Bedspread on the bed was very annoying...blanket inside of bedspread kept falling down in the night...hard to explain until you experience it!
- No laundry available (there was a place for one in our building, but it was out of order...and even then, it was the only one in the whole building...though I assume the 1 and 2 bedroom units each have their own laundry)
- Kind of a pushy sales staff...but they did give us $100 for going through the 90 minute preview...and we were out of there in 90 minutes!
- These cons are petty I realize...but that's all we could come up with. We loved the place.

FYI - I love going to Orlando in January and February. Weather is overall nice (much better than northern Indiana!), and the parks are not busy at all.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sdmiller95
Reviewed 22 January 2009

jan.9-jan.16
Off season is great time in Orlando. Parks not crowded. weather was 50-60's. Kennedy space center very nice. universal lines 5-20 min.
Stayed at horizons for a week. Bed very soft my back took a little to adjust. No hot tub in room but by the pool nice and warm. pool was warm also.
POOL RENOVATIONS TAKING PLACE ONE POOL AND ONE HOT TUB AREA CLOSED. Kids a little upset. It was a little further from room not sure how much use any way, looked nice.
Stayed in room 2054 very nice room. 4 people plenty of room, flat screens nice.Walmart 5 minutes away movie rentals $1.
In the summer when kids could use the pools more this would be very nice. Nice slide if stayed open. We liked the basketball courts, pool tables and ping-pong. Bar/grill not used.
My only real complaint was pool and hot tub was closed. free put-putt would have been nice. $24 a week was pretty high I thought unless you play several games.

Stayed: January 2009