“Exceeded my expectations for sure”

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #15 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Chicago
“Exceeded my expectations for sure”
Reviewed 4 December 2009

You have no doubt read tons of reviews of this place. I did too and was torn about this Marriott Vacation property vs. many other Orlando options. I am new to family vacations and wanted to balance my needs for a laid back resort feel with the entertainment value for the kids.

Our needs:
We have a 4.5 year old and 15 month old and were a little concerned about the varied sleep schedules of our kids not to mention privacy and sleep for us to. This is why we choose a property with 2 BR, 2 bath villas. The full kitchen certainly was useful as well for breakfasts, snacks, etc.

Property
I travel on business a ton and have stayed at hundreds of hotels while on the road. I am pretty particular about customer service, cleanliness, etc.

Harbour Lake is no JW or Rennasiance but I have to say that it exceeded my expectations on both counts.

1. My wife commented (almost daily) about how nice everyone was from the janitors to grounds crew and certainly the staff. They did a nice job making us feel good about staying here.

2. IF YOU STAY IN THE NEW BUILDING and do not expect a Ritz Carlton, you will not be disappointed. We read reviews about older rooms in the other buildings and/or road noise from I-4 so we specifically requested a new building that was quiet. If this is important to you, choose building 31. Just built 12/08 and was 2-3 minute walk from pools, lobby Our suite, 3143, was immaculate. This room had the flat panel TVs, very new and modern yet Kew West casual. Building 31 is 6 stories, we were on the 4th, so there is some muffled noise from rooms above but nothing out of the ordinary. Note: building 31 faces east so no sunsets and your views are of the entrance pond and Westgate rd...

Pool
The hot tubs are great and are located at both pools (which are across the street from one another). Kids loved the Pirate pools. Note: If you go in the winter, be advised that the "splash area" attached to the pool with the waterslide is NOT heated. The pools themselves were 84 degrees, just not the splash zone. It was 81 and sunny each day on our trip but, with no heated water in splash zone, no one was using it.

The pool side resaturant had decent bar food (burgers, wraps, etc). Great beer on tap (Newcastle, Sam Adams, Guiness, etc). Pleasant surprise for Dad! Kids absolutely loved the smoothies too.

Other:
We debated about getting a car or taking shuttles. This may be obvious to many but GET THE CAR. I met a local who gave us tips for excellent dining nearby. I love sushi and they have a killer restaurant 2 miles west of Turkey Lake Rd on Sand Lake road called Akumi. Plenty of choices for the kids there too. Also, a super Walmart is 2-3 miles away on Turkey Lake Road. Cocoa Beach is 1 hour east of Orlando. Car flexibilithy was well worth the expense.

This property is 2 minutes off I-4 which puts you within 10 minutes of all Disney parks and like 2 miles from Sea World as well as just a few miles from great restaurants, etc.

Net,net, I was unsure about this place vs,. my other optons but it turned out to be exactly what we needed. Very satisfied.

FYI: If you are a Marriott rewards member and use points for the stay, they clean you room and linens daily just like any other hotel. If not, they don't. .

9 Thank DJChi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Slovak first
Temecula, CA
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Unless you're travelling with small children who might appreciate the pirate theme, you would be better served by almost any Marriott property. Our room was tired with mildewed bathroom and plugged drains. Maybe easy to overlook if the kids are having a great time on the pirate slide, but difficult to justify for the price.
The location is ideal for access to Disney or Sea World, however it is immediately adjacent to Rte 4, so the din of traffic is your constant companion.
Hard for me to imagine that this property was originally envisioned as a Vacation Club timeshare as its lacking a lot of the polished execution of those properties.
Skip the pirates

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank teamsc10190
Hamden, CT
Reviewed 17 November 2009

What a great resort for families. Centrally located to all the Orlando theme parks, less than a mile to Sea World and only 70 miles to Busch Gardens. Two magnificent pools, both however geared for kids 10 and under, maximum depth only about 5 feet, but hot tubs were spectacular- holding up to 20 people at a time. We stayed in the sunken treasure building 28 and had no problems. Sure the TV's in this section were all not flat screens, but who cares...the one in the living room had to be at least a 48 inch! Full cable including HBO sure beat ones we've stayed in previously. Staff was courteous, friendly, and efficient. Pool bar staff just as great and food was good. Pools open to 10 or 11 made it great to take a dip after the long days at the parks. I would gladly stay there again, or if not, stay at the Marriott Cypress Harbour, just across the street, which is more for adults and older kids. Bonus: Super Walmart less than 1 mile away for all your grocery needs. Informative directions sheet to all local attractions given out at check in sure helped navigate our way around. We are an Interval Internationl Timeshare owner and used our exchange to stay here. We only received one phonecall about picking up info about attending a meeting(which we did not) and in no way were harassed about sales. I would highly recommend this resort. PS: Dont worry about the highway noise as others have posted...almost unnoticeable.

2 Thank ThemeParkKid59
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 11 November 2009

This resort was beautiful!!! We had 3 adults and 2 small children with us. The 2 br villa we had comfortably fit all of us, with room to spare! The amenities were wonderful (washer/dryer, dishwasher, dishes, big screen TV's, screened in deck). The room was beautifully decorated, the staff was polite, the grounds were secure, the pool area was spectacular!!! Two seperate play areas for the kids...pirate ship water slide on one side and a huge area with sprinklers (pirate themed water play area) this also included a kiddie pool (about a foot deep) and of course a regular sized pool and hot tub for the adults! I could even go down and get my Starbucks in the morning from the little stand out by the pools!!! They had mini golf and other activities which we did not participate in, but they looked like fun! Everything was just beautiful and we really enjoyed ourselves! The one and only complaint that I had was the buildings fire alarm going off a couple times due to malfunction. It scared the crap out of my kids! But, things happen and it was fixed as soon as possible. Other than that slight mishap, our 5 day stay there was wonderful and I would definetely return again.

3 Thank SunshineAndFun
scotland
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I stayed here on an exchange for my own timeshare in Tenerife. I had already been to this resort in 2007 and i would say it was even better than the first time. I travelled with my husband and 11 year old triplets and my parents who are in their 60's and even although the resort is more for families my parents had a great time. Security at the gate was excellent and we managed to check in at 10am which was very convenient as we had just left Marriot Grande Vista and wanted to leave our passports etc in a safe rather than carrying them about with us all day. Pool were clean and activities excellent, my 3 went fishing, played volleyball, basketball, table tennis, pool and joined in all the weekend pool games and just had a ball. As this is my 11th time in Orlando we only went to 2 parks so we spent a lot of time in the resort and thoroughly enjoyed our time. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. I would recommend anybody whether you have kids or not to go to this resort.

2 Thank wrisberg
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My husband, daughters, (ages 4 1/2 and 18 months), and I stayed at the Harbor Lakes Resort from Oct. 17-24th. What an AWESOME resort! If you are looking to stay off Disney site with young children, this is definitely the place to be. The pools with their slides and splash pad are fantastic for adults and children. The bar & grill is located right near the pool for some appetizers, sandwiches, salads, beer and mixed drinks. They have daily drink specials such as 2 for 1 margaritas, pina coladas, wines, and others.

The resort is located about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from Sea World, which you could probably walk to. It is right off I-4 highway, which takes you right to all the Disney Parks. The resort provides you with a map of the resort and on the back of it, directions to stores and attactions that are popular in the Disney/Orlando area, such as the Prime & Premium Outlets, Publix food store, Universal, All Disney attractions. This was helpful as well when we left the resort on the day of check-out as the directions were provided on there too.

We stayed in Building 30 which is a brand new building. The room was EXCEPTIONALLY clean. When we were leaving, we saw the staff already in one of the rooms, taking out dishes, putting them up to the light to make sure they were clean and no spots on the dishes. They do have maid/cleaning services, for an extra fee. There is a washer & dryer in your villa. They provide a small complimentary box of Tide of detergent to was one load of laundry. We laundered towels or clothes if we needed to and didn't request the additonal maid service.

If traveling with small children, the resort does provide you with a high chair if you call the front desk. However, they do not have full-size cribs, just pack-n-plays. I used www.orandocribrental.com. They were excellent as opposed to another company I used for our last trip to Disney. Orlando Crib Rental was inexpensive. They came right up to our villa and set up the crib and bedding. On the day of departure, we were required to just strip the crib bedding and put it back into a plastic container provided. They came and folded up the bed and took it away. The last place I rented from delivered it and picked it up at the front desk. I would definitely recommend Orlando Crib Rental if you require a full size crib.

One last comment about the resort, when we asked my 4 1/2 year old daughter, what her favorite part of the vacationwas , she always says "The pool at the hotel. I want to go back there again". My husband and I laugh because we spent all this money on park passes, character dinners, Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique, and Mickey's Not So Scary Parade, and what did she like the best....BUT THE POOL! Live & learn!

2 Thank ThreeBees
Chicago
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I was very disappointed when I stayed at the Marriott Harbour Lake. It is nothing like the reviews say. It is nice but it is not as nice as the other Marriotts.

6 Thank lovely101