“Great Off Disney Value and Accomodation Option” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Harbour Lake

Marriott's Harbour Lake
Ranked #15 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Off Disney Value and Accomodation Option”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

Harbour Lake is well done. If you are looking to save a few $$ or do a short disney experience without total immersion this is a great property for kids up to 16 years old. The pools are fantastic for my 3 year old and up. Well designed, safe and quality construction.

Accomodations seem to be the best bang for your buck in town. Very spacious 2 bedroom villa with sofa bed in living area. Beds are hotel quality and super comfortable. Good size flat screens with DVD players in both bedrooms and a larger one with DVD in living room. Bathrooms are well equipped and perfect for a family to use. Kitchen was perfect for vacation use, dont plan on cooking a holiday meal here but all the basicsa are there. New and clean appliances. Comfortable furniture and plenty of it. Free wireless internet in the villa is huge too! Works great with adequate speed.

As others have mentioned all staff members have been totally friendly and accomodating. Smiling and offering to help in any way. I am still at the resort and its raining buckets today so perhaps I will have an update regarding rainy day activities later but they have tons of activities scheduled so we will check it out.

Only word of caution would be the on property dining is not what you would get at a hotel property. This place has a bar/snack bar type restaurant which seems adequate for a poolside lunch but has a limited menu that would not do well for me other than in a pinch. That being said there are dozens of restaurants within 15 minutes so its not a problem.

Side Note: Building 31 had a great view of 2 Fireworks Displays on NYE and we could see at least 3 other ones. I am assuming that one of the 2 large ones was Magic Kingdom but I'm not sure which. One of my photos shows the 2 larger displays.

I would not recommend this resort if you are traveling without children. This place is designed for families through and through.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Klug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

Using Marriott's "Buy 3 Nights, Get 2 Nights Free" promotion, I booked us into this resort and am so glad I did!! This place is amazing! Plenty of activities for the kids above and beyond the 2 large pool complexes. Anyone with kids knows if they are bored, they will want to go out (which means you spend $$). This place will save you from the extra expenditures! As everyone else has indicated, the staff are incredibly friendly and very helpful. I think they go out of their way to put out good customer service since they know they are working at a better Marriott property than the Fairfield Inn and/or Courtyard. This is an incredibly fabulous place and at the incredibly low price we are paying per night, I think we got a monumental steal compliments of Marriott!!

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Hatelivinginnyc
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

We were visiting Walt Disney for a few days and needed accommodations that were close to the parks and had a kitchen. This place really fit the bill. Not only was the unit very nice and clean, the staff was terrific. Everyone we encountered made us feel very welcome. Especially, the guys who work at the gate securing the complex. My mom and I had to wait at the guard gate for our rental car agency to pick us up (they didn't show up that day). They guys at the gate were beyond terrific. They put us in the shade and let us sit while we waited. They are first rate!!!! So friendly and they gave good advice with directions and where to shop. They could not have been better. We had such a nice time talking with them I wasn't so upset that we weren't able to get the car until the following day. The food at the pool bar was pretty good and the guys working their were very nice too. Ask to stay in the new units. They are really nice. Can't wait to stay again. I'm planning another trip already.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2009

You have no doubt read tons of reviews of this place. I did too and was torn about this Marriott Vacation property vs. many other Orlando options. I am new to family vacations and wanted to balance my needs for a laid back resort feel with the entertainment value for the kids.

Our needs:
We have a 4.5 year old and 15 month old and were a little concerned about the varied sleep schedules of our kids not to mention privacy and sleep for us to. This is why we choose a property with 2 BR, 2 bath villas. The full kitchen certainly was useful as well for breakfasts, snacks, etc.

Property
I travel on business a ton and have stayed at hundreds of hotels while on the road. I am pretty particular about customer service, cleanliness, etc.

Harbour Lake is no JW or Rennasiance but I have to say that it exceeded my expectations on both counts.

1. My wife commented (almost daily) about how nice everyone was from the janitors to grounds crew and certainly the staff. They did a nice job making us feel good about staying here.

2. IF YOU STAY IN THE NEW BUILDING and do not expect a Ritz Carlton, you will not be disappointed. We read reviews about older rooms in the other buildings and/or road noise from I-4 so we specifically requested a new building that was quiet. If this is important to you, choose building 31. Just built 12/08 and was 2-3 minute walk from pools, lobby Our suite, 3143, was immaculate. This room had the flat panel TVs, very new and modern yet Kew West casual. Building 31 is 6 stories, we were on the 4th, so there is some muffled noise from rooms above but nothing out of the ordinary. Note: building 31 faces east so no sunsets and your views are of the entrance pond and Westgate rd...

Pool
The hot tubs are great and are located at both pools (which are across the street from one another). Kids loved the Pirate pools. Note: If you go in the winter, be advised that the "splash area" attached to the pool with the waterslide is NOT heated. The pools themselves were 84 degrees, just not the splash zone. It was 81 and sunny each day on our trip but, with no heated water in splash zone, no one was using it.

The pool side resaturant had decent bar food (burgers, wraps, etc). Great beer on tap (Newcastle, Sam Adams, Guiness, etc). Pleasant surprise for Dad! Kids absolutely loved the smoothies too.

Other:
We debated about getting a car or taking shuttles. This may be obvious to many but GET THE CAR. I met a local who gave us tips for excellent dining nearby. I love sushi and they have a killer restaurant 2 miles west of Turkey Lake Rd on Sand Lake road called Akumi. Plenty of choices for the kids there too. Also, a super Walmart is 2-3 miles away on Turkey Lake Road. Cocoa Beach is 1 hour east of Orlando. Car flexibilithy was well worth the expense.

This property is 2 minutes off I-4 which puts you within 10 minutes of all Disney parks and like 2 miles from Sea World as well as just a few miles from great restaurants, etc.

Net,net, I was unsure about this place vs,. my other optons but it turned out to be exactly what we needed. Very satisfied.

FYI: If you are a Marriott rewards member and use points for the stay, they clean you room and linens daily just like any other hotel. If not, they don't. .

9 Thank DJChi
Temecula, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Unless you're travelling with small children who might appreciate the pirate theme, you would be better served by almost any Marriott property. Our room was tired with mildewed bathroom and plugged drains. Maybe easy to overlook if the kids are having a great time on the pirate slide, but difficult to justify for the price.
The location is ideal for access to Disney or Sea World, however it is immediately adjacent to Rte 4, so the din of traffic is your constant companion.
Hard for me to imagine that this property was originally envisioned as a Vacation Club timeshare as its lacking a lot of the polished execution of those properties.
Skip the pirates

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank teamsc10190
Hamden, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

What a great resort for families. Centrally located to all the Orlando theme parks, less than a mile to Sea World and only 70 miles to Busch Gardens. Two magnificent pools, both however geared for kids 10 and under, maximum depth only about 5 feet, but hot tubs were spectacular- holding up to 20 people at a time. We stayed in the sunken treasure building 28 and had no problems. Sure the TV's in this section were all not flat screens, but who cares...the one in the living room had to be at least a 48 inch! Full cable including HBO sure beat ones we've stayed in previously. Staff was courteous, friendly, and efficient. Pool bar staff just as great and food was good. Pools open to 10 or 11 made it great to take a dip after the long days at the parks. I would gladly stay there again, or if not, stay at the Marriott Cypress Harbour, just across the street, which is more for adults and older kids. Bonus: Super Walmart less than 1 mile away for all your grocery needs. Informative directions sheet to all local attractions given out at check in sure helped navigate our way around. We are an Interval Internationl Timeshare owner and used our exchange to stay here. We only received one phonecall about picking up info about attending a meeting(which we did not) and in no way were harassed about sales. I would highly recommend this resort. PS: Dont worry about the highway noise as others have posted...almost unnoticeable.

2 Thank ThemeParkKid59
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

This resort was beautiful!!! We had 3 adults and 2 small children with us. The 2 br villa we had comfortably fit all of us, with room to spare! The amenities were wonderful (washer/dryer, dishwasher, dishes, big screen TV's, screened in deck). The room was beautifully decorated, the staff was polite, the grounds were secure, the pool area was spectacular!!! Two seperate play areas for the kids...pirate ship water slide on one side and a huge area with sprinklers (pirate themed water play area) this also included a kiddie pool (about a foot deep) and of course a regular sized pool and hot tub for the adults! I could even go down and get my Starbucks in the morning from the little stand out by the pools!!! They had mini golf and other activities which we did not participate in, but they looked like fun! Everything was just beautiful and we really enjoyed ourselves! The one and only complaint that I had was the buildings fire alarm going off a couple times due to malfunction. It scared the crap out of my kids! But, things happen and it was fixed as soon as possible. Other than that slight mishap, our 5 day stay there was wonderful and I would definetely return again.

3 Thank SunshineAndFun