“Crowds all around” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #207 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Marietta, Georgia
“Crowds all around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were on our way to Miami and decided to overnight in Orlando. I don't like driving for more than 7 hours if it can be avoided, so this was the perfect place to crash.

Unfortunately, we hit during one of the busiest weeks...and it showed. The breakfast bar was extremely crowded. The line for the waffles was at least 15 people long (they had 2 waffle irons in use). Most of the backup was caused by mothers who were using both waffle irons to make breakfast for their broods, instead of cutting the waffles in half or quarters and making the kids share until they could go thru the line again. One mother made 10 waffles (approx. 2 min each) - on the large iron and 2 on the smaller (4 minis) iron while we waited behind her in line. There is also very limited seating inside (2 small rooms) and the ones by the pool were fairly hot by 9am. I know that there is nothing the management could do about it, but I went to the Denny's across the parking lot and had breakfast rather than wait any longer in line.

The hotel is a very busy one, all year long, and the wear and tear shows. The bathtub had chips on the surface from something being dropped on it. The bottom of the bathroom door also showed much wear and chipping. If you are on the modest side and don't appreciate your curtains flapping open, join the group. We had to use a tote bag on the a/c unit to hold the curtains closed because the a/c kept blowing them open. Also, the ice machine did not work on our hall and I had to traipse around to the other halls to find a working machine.

OK. I have that out of my system! Good things: The room was clean and there were enough towels for both of us to dry completely! The bathroom were self-contained...Yeah. Hubbs didn't have to watch me trying to get into my jeans! The nightlight on the hair dryer actually worked...not just a little red dot in the dark. There were 2 luggage racks...another bonus. I have noticed that many of the hotels do not provide luggage racks any longer, so we have to use the desk, chairs, bureau or any other flat surface for our suitcases. This was luxury-having a rack for each of us!

We now know to avoid this hotel during the busy season, but we will stop here again if we are in the area during the slower months. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is probably one of the nastiest I have stayed in in quite while. The first impression when I walked in was that the smell alone punched me in the face. It had a strong smell of mildew and old dirty laundry. Thank god we brought our own sheets because the ones we had definitely didn't look clean. My wife found a roach in the bathroom that she killed and just left there to make sure they saw it. Then there was the enormous pot hole in the parking lot that at night is barely visible when filled with water. I posted a picture of it and I'm sure I damaged my car driving right in it. I am still stuck here for another 2 nights since they charge a fee for leaving early. I will never stay in this hotel or any other La Quinta again.

Stayed August 2014
Marquette, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Usually, La Quintas are my "go to" for hotel chains. I'm even a member, but I was very disappointed in this one.

First off, we checked in around 4:30 in the afternoon. There was a line when we got there, which is fine. It was storming and people were just starting to come inside and get settled in, but the lady at the front desk was SOOO slow checking us in. I would say it took a good 20 minutes for the 3 people in front of us and us to get checked in. She also didn't inform us about breakfast, pool hours, shuttle times, etc. There also wasn't a book in the room to inform us either.

Breakfast was pretty boring, not a whole lot of selection. It also annoyed me that they made the waffles for you and handed out the plates. I understand that this was probably supposed to be seen as helpful but the attendant came off as obnoxious, yelling for people to come get their plates and to see who wanted waffles so early in the morning.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It's about a mile to the Universal Parks (the website says a half mile, but I'm pretty sure it's a little longer) and it's not a bad walk. Note: IF YOU ARE USING THIS HOTEL BECAUSE OF THE SHUTTLE SERVICE, PLEASE RETHINK THIS. The only morning shuttle run is a half hour after the park opens and the last one is 2 1/2 hours before the park closes. They also run the shuttle to Disney World and Sea World but it costs (I think $20 for Disney and $10 for Sea World)

The last night of our stay we did notice some bugs in one corner of the counter of our bathroom. Note: THESE WERE NOT BED BUGS! They were most likely fruit flies (even though we didn't have any fruit) or gnats of some sort.

The good things about this hotel were that it was clean, it was comfortable, the location in relation to the Universal Parks and some restaurants (TGI Fridays) was wonderful. The outside pool was clean and warm. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great hotel, Superb service. I recommend it. Was my first stay in this chain of hotels, just to change my common stays in another chains. The price is the best one that I received fore the price. From now on I'll be considering this as my default hotel for all my next business trips. I have been travelling all over the globe and this hotel is the at the same level as the more expensive one's. Thanks for your great service and support in my stay there. Santiago Puerto Rico USA

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Daphne, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My siblings and I were in Tampa and decided last minute to go to Universal Orlando for the last two days of our vacation. We found this hotel that morning, booked it and drove over. We checked in really late after our first day at universal, no issues. The front desk guy was really nice and helpful. They ran out of washcloths though, which was annoying, since there were 4 of us in room, but only 2 washcloths.
We were going to take their free shuttle to Universal the next morning at 8:30, but we were all too slow getting ready that morning.
Being 1 mile from the park is great. The hotel itself was not anything spectacular. It was showing signs of wear, but it was clean. Beds were comfortable enough.
When we arrived back to room the second night, the key did not work, so I had to get a new one. No biggie.
Something was apparently wrong with the shower head though, and I ended up with a huge puddle of water on the floor. Luckily, they had extra towels to mop it up with! The rest of the group did get showers, but had to make sure it wasn't spraying out of shower.
Another thing to note is the water pressure was not very good. Neither is the hot breakfast!
When I went to check out the following morning, I was told that my boyfriend had already checked out. I don't have a boyfriend (I'm married!) and none of us had gone down to front desk. I guess that explains why the housekeeper walked in without knocking while we were packing our bags. :)
I'd stay here again if the price was right. Not a terrible experience, but not great either.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Miami, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was an excellent hotel. It is 1/2 mile from Universal. Accepted our dogs for FREE. Very clean, price very reasonable. Good breakfast, nice pool. Staff could not be friendlier and helpful. They made sure you were happy and would want to come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family