“Terrible Experience! Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Cypress Palms

Wyndham Cypress Palms
Ranked #159 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Terrible Experience! Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

In short, never stay at this hotel unless you feel like being insulted, ridiculed, and being asked to share your lodgings with insects in a dirty room with unclean bathrooms. The long version: The first room we had was already occupied by several hundred ants, not to mention the layer of grime on the bathroom tile especially in the shower and the stained carpets. We came back to our room after dropping off our luggage to find them swarming over our belongings and our food, apparently we were intruding on their space. We called the front desk who promptly sent someone over with a spray bottle of window cleaner about 1 hour later. After spraying the ineffective solution on the ants, he promised to have the manager call us about moving us to a different room. 2 hours later we called the front desk quite fed up, who said the manager was in meetings all day and would call us later. Frustrated, we left our room again, coming back later we stopped at the front desk where we finally were able to speak to the manager after waiting 15 minutes. She promptly moved us into a "new room in a renovated building" and guaranteed there would be no ants. 3 days later, there were plenty of ants even in the new room. As for the timeshare staff, they were atrocious. We were viciously hounded by a woman named Janice who did not care an ounce about our staying conditions, only that she be able to cross a name off her list. She completely lied and said that we were being asked to attend a presentation about how the new timeshare system will be run now that Wyndham has purchased RCI, through which we have our timeshare. We went to attend and are greeted by a nice, well dressed woman, who assures me that the only thing scheduled is for us to attend a sales pitch for a time share at a new property. This was not what we were told. She acted surprised and said "I don't know who said that to you, but we're here to take you to the new property and I'm giving you a presentation on the units there." We were told breakfast would be offered, well it is only offered if you attend their sales pitch. I was told they needed my ID to "be able to give me my gift." I handed them my ID and then they asked for my wife's ID, which she did not bring with her. Unless "being able to give me my gift" is code for "we need to not so discreetly investigate your financial backing and determine how much we need to sell you" I have no idea why they would need her ID. We were also told it would be a short powerpoint presentation. We found out it was a 90 minute presentation off site, which involved at least a 15 minute drive each way. We were not able to attend because we have a 4 month old infant who is being breastfed waiting in our room with my mother. My wife and I headed off to get breakfast, and when I return my mother informs me that someone called to check if we actually have a baby in the unit. Not only were we being lied to and hounded, but that the staff felt that they needed to check our reason for not attending was the last straw. I have not been so insulted by any facility before, and will do my best to ensure that everyone I know who even has a remote plan of visiting Orlando stay far, far away from the Cypress Palms.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you have any options at all, but if the world is ending and you absolutely must...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Irshan R
Amy W, General Manager at Wyndham Cypress Palms, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Irshan,

I am saddened to hear of your experience here at Cypress Palms. I know we are now working with you regarding some of this feedback.

Thank you for providing your feedback and allowing us to assist you. If you would like to discuss with me further, I would be happy to assist.

amy.walley@wyn.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Conway, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We traded into this resort through RCI. As I write this we have been without cable television for over 24 hours. No notice was given to us about it being disabled and I have called down to the front desk 5 times and each time received a different story. At 8:30 this morning I was told, "someone will be right down to fix it, " at 9:30 AM I was told, "their just getting in and someone will be right down," still waiting. This is not what I call good customer service. Also, the unit we are staying in is old, there is only 1 cupboard and I have to climb on a step stool to get the dishes. Carpet is so dirty and stained that if you walk on it barefooted the bottom of your feet are black. Grounds are pretty and well maintained the staff was friendly. On checking in we were told we needed to do a review because Wyndam had acquired RCI. Beware, this was just a ploy to get you to purchase points at their Bonny Creek Resort. We were never told we had to be transported to the Bonny Creek Resort which was about 20 minutes away. Our whole Sunday was a wash out because we could not get away from the agent, even though we repeatedly told him we were not interested. He was not very pleasant after he realized we were not purchasing,constantly repeating the same thing over and over. He also made us wait over 20 minutes before he took us back to the resort, conversation on the way back was at a minimum. Our whole Sunday was a wasted day, we had an 11:30 appt and did not get back to the condo till 3:00. NEVER AGAIN!!! I don't care what ploy they use, I will never agree to go. Overall, not the best place we have stayed at, disappointed that this is a Wyndam resort, not their usual standards.
PS- 10:49 cable has been fixed but all the channels have changed. Hope they get the new channel directory to the units before May.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 701golfergirl
Thank you for feedback. We value your input, as it assists us in continuing to improve the experience of our owners and guests.

I sincerely apologize for the deficiencies you experienced during your stay with us. We will be looking closer into your stay.

Please reach out to me to further discuss.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Best regards,

Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from April 6-10. I am surprised by the past 2 reviews because our room was beautiful. We were in a one bedroom deluxe building 11-359. It had granite, beautiful furnishings, comfortable king size bed, and a nice pull out sofa. There was PLENTY of space for four people. It also had a stand up shower and jacuzzi tub. The only drawback was the pool. It was tiny which made it hard to relax. We ended up going to our friends resort to swim. That was disappointing. I would recommend this resort to someone that was not looking to have a lot of time at the pool.

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank kcladison
Amy W, General Manager at Wyndham Cypress Palms, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience here at Cypress Palms. We love to hear from you.

Here at Cypress Palms we have two pools, with the largest pool being located by our Activities building. The pools are a very popular spot for families and friends spending a day resting from being at the parks.

Thank you again for sharing. We hope to welcome you back!

Resort Manager
Charles Town, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Cypress Palms looks great until you get there. We had a deluxe one bedroom suite. It was TINY. I would hate to see what a regular one bedroom looks like. It was supposed to sleep 4 but barely slept two. The bathroom was way out of date. There is not enough parking; cars were double parked all over the place when we came in after 5 pm each day. The pools are very, very small. The activities center is a room with a couple of tables and VENDING machines. This is not an activities center; it is a break room. The desk people were constantly trying to sell us something. Don't go here when there are many more options in the area that are so much better. AVOID.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank James K
Amy W, General Manager at Wyndham Cypress Palms, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you James for your feedback. It sounds like there could be some confusion with this unit type, as we have either a standard suite or a deluxe. We want to assure all of our owners and guests have a comfortable and memorable stay and I'd like an opportunity to speak with you to further learn of your experience.

Please contact me if you are open in sharing further details. Thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Kill Devil Hills NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we stayed here because our usual location at Marriott was not available. POOR selection thru Armed Forces Vacation Club. Husband is disabled VET retired after 40 years- and this is poor location for anyone with problems. We checked in late due to storms delaying most airlines. At 10pm we just wanted to go to our room. The Concierge gave us our parking pass and proceeded to high pressure us to participate in soliciting of time share presentation- despite having told her we were beat. Then took phone off hook when we found our room- as soon as I put back on hook next morning she called to try her pitch again!! Room was shabby- badly in need of update- stains in room- equipment poor- we bought our own fry pan to use- all need replacing. No one offered to help us find elevators and if not for nice fellow guest we would probably not have ever found our room. We passed 7-8 golf carts night of check-in with employees but not one stopped to help us and one almost ran into us in parking lot. Parking very limited for number of units. When I tried to exchange towels for pool- guy told me to take to room- told him I did not plan to spend my vacation washing their towels!! Most furnishings have seen better days. Two VERY small pools with limited chairs. If you have choice go someplace else- there are lots of places. MUCH better. Save money and aggravation. Only redeeming factor is several restaurants within walking distance- to include Krispy Kreme.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alice A
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Cypress Palms, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hi Alicia,

We are so sorry to hear that our resort and unit amenities did not meet your expectations. Our front desk staff should have showed you a resort map with directions to your unit as well as elevator locations. Please know we will make it a point to further assist our guests at check-in. We value your suggestions and feedback as it gives us guidance on what to provide our guests during vacation. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed for a week in Oct '13. We booked a 2 bedroom suite online. When we checked in we were assigned to a first floor suite in Building 12, we requested a room that wasn't on the ground floor, and the staff graciously switched us to the top floor in Building 5. We ended up having 2 adjoining 1 bedroom suites ( included full kitchen, plus kitchenette, two bathrooms, formal dining space, two living areas, and two laundry areas( which was much more space than we needed, but fun for our kids to have their own "apartment"). The master bedroom had a large jet tub, and a separate bath area with a large walk in tiled shower. The units appeared to have been recently renovated with tasteful furnishings, new appliances, granite counters, etc. Everything was very clean, and we had a great view from our screened in balcony. The pools weren't huge, but our kids had a lot of fun. There were also a variety of kids activities offered everyday. The resort was quiet and clean, very close to Disney, and a lot of great restaurants. We look forward to staying here again on our next trip to Orlando.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Bunnatalie
Thank you for sharing your experience! We love hearing what made a difference for you during your stay. It sounds like you had a two bedroom lockoff. This is a one bedroom deluxe attached to a one bedroom standard/suite. This unit does work well for smaller families or couples traveling together.

Coming soon, the kids will have even more to do here at Cypress. We are excited to be adding a Nature Explorer Playground right here at Cypress Palms. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lansing, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Everything was GREAT! Unit comfortable and everything in working order. Clean!!!! Staff was very helpful in finding things to do around the resort. Grounds were all clean and well kept. Security was visible doing rounds- felt very safe. This resort is small enough that we could easily walk to either pool/spa. Loved the location tucked in behind several popular restaurants.

Room Tip: We had building 15 and loved it. Easy to get and out of the resort. We just stepped out the door to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank roadtripper10
Thank you so much for providing your feedback. We love to hear from you! Building 15 is a popular spot for many of our repeat owners and guests, though every deluxe room here at Cypress Palms has a view.

Thank you again for sharing. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Amy Walley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Blue Heron Beach Resort
Star Island Resort and Club
#20 of 153 in Kissimmee
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,141 reviews
Blue Tree Resort at Lake Buena Vista

Been to Wyndham Cypress Palms? Share your experiences!