“Good location & friendly staff”

Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd
Ranked #143 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Swansea
“Good location & friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice during our tour of Florida. Hotel is in a great location for Universal being only a 5 minute drive. We stayed in one of their "pure" rooms as I suffer from dust allergies than can make me feel like I've caught a cold but I had no problems here. I had no problem getting a good nights sleep once I got used to the air conditioner kicking in ( like a 747 taking off)!
Wasn't given a code for the wifi ( being an IHG Platinum member wifi is free) but when I queried it I was told to log in and charge it to the room but the charge wouldn't appear on my bill ( which it didn't), however this was on my third day so should have been explained at check in.
As per other reviews the rooms are in need of refurbishing but they were clean and comfortable.
Also as a Platinum member we should have been given access to the Executive Lounge but as we had a busy schedule I didn't bother querying the front desk.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Orlando but like some other Platinum reviewers, the staff should recognise our Brand Loyalty a bit more.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for sharing. I am very sorry that we failed to recognize you as one of our elite Platinum IHG reward members. Your loyalty is much appreciated and thanking you for such is very much a daily focus of ours. I am thrilled that you found our staff to be friendly and hope that this will be reason you return to us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Crown Plaza lived up to its reputation. My suite was a good size. My 4 adult children came up for one of the 6 days that I stayed. They stayed in my suite and between the queen size bed, the pull out couch and the roll-away bed (which they gladly provided) they was plenty of room.

The next week was just great. Between Jenn Cote at the bar and all the staff including the valet I never wanted for anything. The fish tanks adding a great ambiance in the lobby which was very large for all of my team to gather.

The rooms service was superior along with the food. The maids kept the room perfect...chocolates were even left on my pillow along with a massage oil kit.

We were within a few miles of Universal and took advantage City Walk in the evening.

Overall a great place!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Loved your review. I am so glad that your room met your family's needs. Thank you so much for mentioning the staff and making special mention of Jen. I will share your comments with the team and I know they will appreciate knowing they made such a positive impression. Please come back and visit soon.
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Most people probably do have a good experience at this hotel. It is fairly nice. I don't want to be over-dramatic, the hotel isn't bad. My experience at the hotel was not great.

The good.
1- The appearance of the hotel was nice
2- The sales team was easy to work with - Rechelle was great
3- The events team was great as well - Jeff was very accommodating
4- The hotel staff was friendly

The not so good
1- Our thermostat didn't work and was never fixed
2- The catering is not a good value... I'm not sure catering in Orlando hotels ever is...
3- The ridiculous cost of internet. OK, 4 star hotels charge for internet... but they charge per device. SO like most people in the world, I have an iPad... to have internet on my iPad and my computer I would have to pay $26 per day... let alone my wife. This isn't the Ritz Carlton but they sure charge like they are.
4- One of our guests had bug bites on her legs... they found a couple small bugs on the sheets
5- Yes, this is separate point because how they dealt with issue #3 is... When they showed the bug to hotel staff they were told to wash their clothes in hot water and were assured the manager would contact them. The manager instead emailed them a report that it was not a bed bug... just a baby German cockroach... wow, that makes you feel better. No call. No apology. No concession.
6- The final issue is not a big deal, but to me it is.... the bad points policy with groups. I booked the hotel for our group (16 rooms for 2 nights). At many hotels, there would be some perk for the group coordinator... OK, not here... no big deal. On top of that, I received less than 10% of the points that I was supposed to receive for my stay because we got the group rate. Keep in mind the group rate is not less expensive than the online travel sites. Honestly, this isn't a big deal in the scheme of things... but it was the final straw that left me far from satisfied and not willing to recommend the hotel to others.

If you get a good deal, go for it. Chances are you will be satisfied... as long as you don't need internet and don't need to deal with the manager...

Room Tip: Get ready to pay for extras.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark J
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review and also mentioning how Rochelle was so accommodating to your group. I am sorry that you felt your concerns were not adequately addressed and I have reviewed your comments with the manager you spoke to. As the new General Manager at the Crowne Plaza I take responsibility in ensuring our guests' concerns are responded to and I am truly sorry that we let you down. I hope you give us a second chance to earn back your trust when your travels bring you back to Orlando.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Executive floor is nice needs a key in elevator to get there which makes it exclusive and quiet. I paid a premium to stay up there and and couldn't believe they charged for drinks. I have stayed in several Crowne Plazas around the world and never encountered a charge in the executive lounge, we should at least get the first one free.

• Stayed October 2013
United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great hotel just off international drive. The staff were very friendly and helpful, The pool was gorgeous. The waiters were so efficient and the crack was great. The chief Freddy was very nice made omelettes or what ever you wanted such a nice friendly man. Sami was very helpful too. Douglas and the other door men were great. We couldn't fault the Hotel would definitely go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Crowne Plaza by universal is a very nice hotel located just minutes from Universal and the I-Drive area. The staff is very friendly all around and even gave me a happy birthday card for my birthday, very nice touch! The bartender by the pool was very nice, as well as the front desk staff and the night auditor. Overall the hotel was very nice and convenient to everything we wanted to do on our stay. The only downside I could see was the beds being a tad hard, but after being at HHN at Universal for 6+ hours, that bed is not going to be a problem cause your feet are aching from waiting in hour plus lines for every haunted house. Overall the hotel is very nice and would defiantly be coming back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Janaki S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed the location and found our staff to be friendly. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Ruffs Dale
Reviewed 20 October 2013

There was a wedding or some other function going on one night and loud obnoxious people were running around the hotel. Nothing was said to them by the front desk or security. Speaking of security, I found it disturbing that a notice was placed in our room asking not to order pizza from flyers that may appear under our door. My concern was more about how the people got into the hotel to go floor to floor delivering the flyers in the first place. Made us feel super safe......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Willaim H
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay. We apologize for the discomfort you experienced. We often have weddings and special events at our hotel but our security staff is present 24 hours a day and during these events to ensure the safety of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Orlando.