“What I was looking for”

Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd
Ranked #156 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 18 May 2014

When booking my stay, I was looking for an inexpensive hotel with a decent pool area and a bar, that was close to Universal. This hotel meets these expectations. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was pleasant. The pool area isn't huge, but it's big enough and there is a pool bar. This is not a luxury resort, but I knew that when I booked. For the price (low $100s), I feel like this is a very good value. The Crowne Plaza fit my needs perfectly for a short stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephanie S
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy that we were exactly what you were looking for. While we met your expectations, in all honesty, we strive for a much higher review from our guests. While we provide a clean and comfortable facility we really feel that the difference in our service delivery and friendliness of our staff. I hope you come back again and visit with us so we may get that 5th star review.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,265)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My family and I have been Hilton Honor Members for quite a while. Always expecting to stay at The Embassy Suites or the Home-wood Suites due to the larger size family we have, we had never given any other hotel a mere thought. We now know how much we have been missing out on.
My family and I recently needed to have a long stay with either one of those Hilton hotels mentioned earlier. And to our great disappointment we were treated so horribly. We had made reservations and were told over at the Altamonte Springs Embassy Suites that we could extend the stay once our first 3 days were up. The 3rd day came and to our disbelief we were told we had to leave and at 11:00am sharp. Because they were "sold out" and they were not going to be able to help us. Knowing we had no where to go as a family of 7, our hearts sunk. Without a place to stay for 2 or 3 weeks with 5 little girls we could not believe they were sending us on to the streets to try and find a place for us to stay. Especially after promising us an extension at the time of need.
Regardless of the cruel hospitality practices, we found it God sent that due to their lack of caring and quality service we found our newly discovered Hotel of Aces! We walked into the Crown Plaza and were greeted by the friendliest staff of smiling and supportive group of people. This is what hotel hospitality is all about. It isn't always about dollars and a choice of guests.
At the Crown Plaza its about a passion for the entire hotel experience package. And they truly deliver in every category, hands down.
After letting the management know (Marina,) and( Mr.Thomas) they quickly put a plan together for us and didn't treat us as just guests but rather as friends. We are truly so grateful for all they have done from, Shante, Abigail,and even the staff at the restaurant were the best, especially Domingo. (My 6 yr. old said he should be the president.)
I want everyone out there planning any type of stay or hotel necessity you that we now all have found a beautiful, clean,and beyond hospitable hotel that will leave you speechless!!!!
From the bottom of our hearts we love everyone here at the Crown Plaza Hotel Orlando.
You blow the Hilton Hotels right out of the water, and straight out the ball park. Thanks for your caring and such a beautiful property you have now added to our new choice of hotel. We will never go back to Hilton again in our lives !!!!!!!!
With Much gratitude, The Reids

Room Tip: Go to the hotels that you find true friendly smiles at, and not fake smiles where all you will ever...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Your words just warm my heart. It is so gratifying to read that we have won you as fans of the Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal. We spend a great deal of time and effort in hiring associates that are genuinely friendly and want to help us achieve our goal of being a hotel that our guests love. I hope you can come back soon and often. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from a 10 day break at this hotel and feel it deserves a revue.
The staff where excellent without being sycophantic; they where professional, courteous and pleasant.
The rooms where clean, beds comfortable, bathrooms clean with nice toiletries and the blackout blinds worked a treat.
The pool is large with plenty of beds and kept clean.
Having stayed at a number of hotels in the idrive area i wouldn't hesitate in returning or recommending this property. It represents great value and a good location.

Room Tip: Higher rooms pool side offer great views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M D

Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing to our trip advisor readers. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and more importantly that you would not hesitate to return. To us, that is the true measure of success!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hotel was clean and the room was quite nice, a little on the small side. Had to laugh because I requested a room with a chair meaning like an easy chair, she was "Oh yes" there is a chair, when we get to the room the only chair is a desk chair. I called down and she said no problem she would send one up. We were puzzled, then a worker shows up with another desk chair. We just decided to go with the room since we were already there. It had a horrible view looking at the roof and the ac units, but we were not in the room much.

Like other reviewers, a little shocked at all the nickel and dime charges. Internet $12.00 really??? in this day and age? A cup of coffee at the kiosk was $4.00. Restaurant was way overpriced for the type of food they served and drinks were crazy expensive. We did not try breakfast. Parking was also an extra which is pretty typical in Orlando.

Other than that, it is a nice hotel. Pool area was nice and the valets were really funny and they made a great recommendation for dinner. Overall a good weekend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I do appreciate your comments and can certainly understand your point of view about the chairs in the room and the one delivered. We could have done a much better job of active listening and understanding of your request. We used your review for our daily coaching session so that we can learn and perform much better in the future. I thank you for the 3 star rating but it is not the level of service we aspire to achieve. Hopefully you will allow us another oppportunity to be your host when travels bring you back to Orlando. I look forward to a second chance of earning a 5 star review. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked the Crowne Plaza on a special deal through Expedia. I had read the reviews on here and was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. I have just read the most recent reviews before putting this together, and I am still wondering why our stay was so very different! I don't mind saying that we paid £172 for 3 nights instead of the full price of £344, and I still think this was overpriced.

Our check in went smoothly enough and the staff were efficient, but I wouldn't say they were any more friendly or attentive than others I have come across, they certainly didn't go out of their way to make us feel welcome and we got the standard fake smile at the beginning and end of the transaction. After this none of the staff; concierge, reception, bell boy or housekeepers smiled or spoke to us unless spoken to (and not always even then) during our 3 night stay and they looked miserable.

The hotel itself is well maintained and the rooms are pleasant, although not the biggest we have ever stayed in by any means, the Marriott was much bigger and the furniture of better quality. This said, we were initially happy with the room and it was only when I lounged on the bed that the first problem became apparent. The air conditioning unit is built into the wall about 3 feet from the bed separated from my head by a small side table and lamp. As soon as it came on, it was so noisy I couldn't concentrate on reading the newspaper! We had to sleep with the unit off every night as it was so loud. Not to bad in early May but I couldn't imagine doing this in July!

Problem number 2; paper thin walls! Now don't get me wrong, I know we were in a family hotel and families laugh, talk, shout and cry and I expect to hear this to a certain degree. What I don't expect to be able to hear through the walls is someone zipping and unzipping a suitcase, turning on and off light switches and passing wind! Our first night was our next door neighbours' last night and their 3:45am wake up call also woke us up and it seemed to take them forever to answer the phone. The incessant chatter and shouting to each other until they left at 4:50am kept us awake and we were awoken again at 6:00am by trollies clattering about the hallways. The next day, our new neighbours were a German family with a toddler who constantly cried and screamed and had an impatient mother. Our music and the TV could not drown out the child screaming so we went out earlier than planned the next morning. We were also offered a late checkout for the last morning but declined this as the child still had not stopped screaming and by now a very annoying toy had been given to it that was singing some awful song on repeat.

We didn't try the breakfast as at $16.95 for a buffet I wasn't interested; I don't really like buffets and there are much cheaper ones in the area. We used the WiFi which should have been charged at $12.95 a night, but we had joined the IHG Rewards programme and so got this for free. It was slow and the laptop had trouble staying connected so we were only really able to use it on our phones. If I had paid $12.95 for it, I would have been very unhappy and if I had to attend to business whilst I was at the hotel I would have been very very disappointed with the quality of the WiFi. My last whinge it about the bathroom. It was an OK size, with a shower over a tub. The toiletries were nice and the towels were soft, if not the size of a postage stamp. The shower left a lot to be desired. It had only one setting and speed which was pretty slow. It took ages to wash the conditioner out of my hair and by the time I had, the temperature of the water was dropping. Rubbish!

All in all, I feel that a hotel is somewhere to rest your head, especially in Orlando where the majority of guests spend their time at theme parks, shopping or at conferences and the only time spent in the hotel room is used for a shower and to sleep. Whilst the hotel was nice, if I can't get any sleep I am not going to be very happy, and I wasn't! We won't stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KRBarnard1

Thank you for your review. I am disapponted that your visit was less than exceptional. Most disturbing is that you found our employees to be less than friendly. We spend an incredible amount of energy selecting the right candidates and for the most part we receive very possitive feedback. We do offer quiet floors which may have been more to your liking. I am sorry that we let you down. I know this may have influenced the remainder of your evaluation of our facility.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed for a week whilst doing all the tourist-y things nearby. Lovely warm welcome as soon as you step in the door. Rooms was nice and clean. Only thing was the sofa bed was rather springy but hey, pretty good overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando - Universal Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for the words. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with us while you experienced all the tourist attractions in the area. I appreciate your taking the time to share with our Trip Advisor readers

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Ideally located close to International Drive and all the theme parks, as well as a very short drive to the convention center and the airport, this hotel suits adults and business travellers. Rooms are clean and business like and the pool is simple and adult orientated. The staff are friendly & really make you feel welcome - Lisandra on the front desk is hilarious and if you need anything, ask Doug the bellman because he can organise reservations in a flash.

I love this hotel and all it has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing. It means so much to read such a great review from one of our regular guests. And, thank you for mentioning Lisandra and Douglas. I will make sure they know of your praise. Please continue to visit us.