“Great Property Apalling Service”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal
Ranked #139 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
“Great Property Apalling Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

A property is turned into a "place of stay" only and only by the staff and at Crowne Plaza Universal even if feedback is given it's received very sullenly and for example if you show them a dirty plate kept for patrons use they say oh but I told the kitchen and then they wear pins saying WIT (whatever it takes) . responsiveness is not their strong suite at all I complained to the duty manager and all she said was ok I will convey and the same thing gets repeated the second morning tells me that messages take time to deliver here......

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Sudarshan S
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Sudarshan S,
Thank you for your review. Your experience is certainly not indicative of the level of service that is expected by our guests and from me as well. While not is always perfect there is no excuse for lack of empathy and action to correct. I am very sorry that this was not the case and I will use your comments as a coaching opportunity. I do appreciate that you took the time to share and hope you allow us a chance to earn your trust once again. I thank you for the nice words about the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
military
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here last weekend with my family. Nice rooms, great staff, especially the housekeeping crew. Adequate parking. The pool area is really exceptional. My only peeve is the smoking. Smokers were allowed to smoke everywhere! If you plan to take a stroll outside and you are not a smoker, be prepared to be walking through the fog. The only area restricted is around the pool. Imaging walking to the gym or playing ping pong and there are smokers everywhere. Apparently, this is encouraged since there is an ashtray on almost every table outside. They just installed new outdoor furniture and it is just a matter of time before only smokers will want to enjoy them.

Room Tip: There are no suites
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Military_Traveller
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you so much for your review. While the entire interior of the hotel is non smoking we do restrict the smoking to limited areas in the outside under cover from the elements. There is a significant percentage of our guests that do enjoy smoking and we try to accommodate them in these areas. I am glad that otherwise you did enjoy your visit. I am sorry that the smoking area tainted your impression to the extent of a 3 star rating. We certainly do aspire for much higher. I will committ to you that I will review the seating areas near the ping pong table. Thank you again for your critique.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks in July. The room was fab, excellent maid and room service. We ate at the pool bar and had the breakfast buffet which was all excellent and fabulous, friendly staff.
The hotel was in an excellent position for universal and complimentary hotel transport to Disney was great.
Tommy who worked in the hotel was a great help when needing info.
We will definitely go back to this hotel on our next trip :-)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl W
Thank you for sharing and especailly for the mention of service providing to your family by Tommy in our Bell Services area. It means quite much to us to read such positive comments from our long staying guests. You can experience quite a bit in two weeks and I'm glad we made the grade for you. Please visit again soon.
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed four nights for a conference. My family joined me on the last day. Housekeeping was awesome. Left a tip and asked for extra towels and bathroom supplies and they loaded me up! The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable.

I stayed on the executive level and take advantage of the lounge several times. It was very comfortable and enjoyed several cocktails and breakfast.

Pool was very nice.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank christie629
It is great to welcome our guests from my wife's home state of Maryland! I thank you for your comments and appreciate that you shared the details and benefits of our Executive level rooms to our Trip Advisor readers. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and hope your conference was a successful one. Please visit again when you can relax for the entire trip.
Atlanta USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The staff are great, but this hotel is not high end enough to be a crowne plaza. Club level lounge is nice but food very average - it's a nice place to stay but don't pay too much for your room and expect a hotel that's holiday inn quality - then you will get what you expect.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Expattraveler100
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you very much for sharing. I do appreciate your very kind comments about our staff but at the same time it is disappointing to read that you felt we did not live up to your expectations of the Crowne Plaza brand and the food quality on the executive level was only average. We do certainly aspire to achieve much higher ratings from our guests. I hope you give us another chance when travels bring you back to Orlando.
County Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in a Junior Executive Suite (2 x Queen beds, view over the pool), which is right at the top of the hotel. There is a lounge with free buffet breakfast, free WIFI (it costs elsewhere in the hotel, except the lobby - which is a shame - I personally believe all hotels should offer all guests free WIFI) and free snacks and free beer/soft drinks in the evening on 5 nights which is just the ticket when you get back to the hotel. They don't do this on Friday or Saturday nights. The lounge is only accessible to those staying on the top floor though.

Rooms were very clean, hotel was very quiet everywhere, there are four lifts (all worked), there's a private pool outside and a gym which stay open 'til quite late. Inside there's a shop, bar and a restaurant. A light meal for a family of four in the bar will knock you back around $80. We didn't try the restaurant.

On the road outside there is an I-Ride trolley bus stop, which goes to SeaWorld, and on the parallel street (International Drive, about 10 mins walk away) is another I-Ride route which has a wider range of destinations, plus that's where most of the Lynx buses stop. It's also got a plethora of bars, grills, restaurants, shops, whatever you need, you'll find it. All the buses are $2 per trip. We took a day at Florida Mall via the Lynx bus #42.

If you're going to Universal there's a free shuttle from outside the hotel - be warned, due to the route it takes (Crowne Plaza is the first stop), it will take about 30 minutes to get to Universal. You can also use this to get to SeaWorld too, by changing at Universal, but to us that seemed a very long-winded way given there's an I-RIDE x bus stop heading straight to SeaWorld less than 10 mins walk away from the hotel.

We spent a day at Wet & Wild, but walked there - it's about a 25 minute walk from the hotel.

We didn't go to Disney, so no idea how you'd get there - that said, it's a long way away from this hotel.

Getting to the hotel: we jumped in a taxi at the airport and booked another one coming back. Took about 25 minutes each time, and cost was around $45.

All in all, a very nice stay, lost only 1 mark because WIFI isn't free everywhere.

Room Tip: If you can, book onto the Executive Level, the kids will love the free food and WIFI.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms

1 Thank DaveSugden
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. You made some great observations and I know they will be appreciated. I am hopeful that on your next visit we will earn a 5 star rating from you. Our wifi will be complimentary to all beginning October 1!
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 week whilst visiting parks.
Positives - location (close to universal) and not far from Disney. There are a few low key restaurants next door. Also close to all hiways etc. Also, the pool was great and there was always space there to chill. The room was nice and big, air-con worked well and it was always made up very well. We were also given a VIP card which gave us free cup of coffee every morning from a coffee station near the restaurant.

Negatives - Our VIP card came with coffee and nothing else; surely it wouldn't be difficult to add a croissant / muffin?
Also, and to be honest the most serious problem, was that the bath had some scratches in it which left silver / grey marks in it. I was happy to have a shower in the bath but no way would I lay in there as the scratches were gross and I'd never maintain anything like that myself. This needs to be treated as a matter of urgency for health reasons (open scratches attract dirt / bacteria).

Room Tip: Sign up to loyalty club to get free wifi.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank p0lak
AnthonyLazzara, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I certainly appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us. I will definitely look into the tub scratches that you mentioned. We have an ongoing guestroom preventive maintenance program in place and resurfacing tubs is included in this process. I am glad that you found our hotel and convenient location to your liking. When you return we will go above and beyond to achieve a 5 star rating from you. Thanks again.