“Overpriced, even for Disney”

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #106 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced, even for Disney”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I admit that I may have had unrealistically high expectations for this resort, having only heard good things about it. Sadly, I was fairly disappointed especially with the quality of the suites. We stayed in a 1-bedroom Villa on the 4th floor overlooking the forest. The resort itself, exterior and common areas, are beautiful - we visited at Christmas which made it even more spectacular. The rooms, however, leave a lot to be desired - especially at a price tag of over $500/night. Everything is very dated and run-down, carpets have a musty odour, bed was very uncomfortable with cheap sheets. It felt more like we were staying at a motel than a deluxe Disney property. We have stayed at many resorts with our family and I am sad to say that this was certainly the worst in terms of quality for the high cost. If we do decide to stay on Disney property for our next trip, it will definitely not be at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge - that is, not until they do some serious updating/renovations of their suites (badly needed, especially given the exorbitant fees).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank branflakeMD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
CLT
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just got back from a stay at Wilderness Lodge Villas for 5 days and was very impressed with the cleanliness and the service we received from the front desk to housekeeping. Still have a hard time giving a full score as for the price you pay you sure don't get allot for your dollar, I have stayed in better hotels for a 1/4 of the price, I guess that's the cost on staying close to the parks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ivster
Ma.
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Wonderful rooms ,clean and serviced well. Two Restaurants on premises with excellent food and drink. Fun for young and old alike. My family really enjoyed our stay .Buses are available for travel to the parks every 20 minutes and they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ronald P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent our last 6 days of our 16 day Disney vacation at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. The beginning was spent at OKW of which I was totally disappointed (that info can be viewed under OKW). The WL was a breathe of fresh air. We hit a small bump in the road based on the location of our room but that was rectified by Gina the front desk manager and Nena Sue. Both these wonderful ladies were a pleasure to speak with and they handled our problem quickly and gracefully. Both are a credit to the Disney organization and to both I am grateful for their help. The WL is beautiful. It is so very clean and pristine which is the most important to me when I stay anywhere. The grounds are peaceful and gives you the feeling you are in a mountain lodge a decade ago. The pool is lovely combining the new with the old --- a waterfall gushes over mountains of rocks which flow into a stream of rocks which glides into the pool. The room which was a studio overlooked trees and a little walkway (this I viewed from the terrace which is attached to the room.) The bed was comfortable (queen size) and the room also had a queen size couch. The kitchenette area was enough to make coffee and toast and also had a microwave. The refrigerator was small but held all our needs, that is, cold cuts, yogurts, cheeses and other snacks. All in all the WL is our favorite of the Disney VC. I did see my daughter's rooms at Bay Lake Towers (she is also a DVC member). They were lovely but not my style. Too modern. We viewed the Boardwalk and also the newest the Grand Floridian which was absolutely gorgeous!!!

Room Tip: If you are a senior ask for a room closest to the elevators
3 Thank grandma228
Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My family and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villa for 5 days and was sooooo impressed with the cleanliness and the service we received from the front desk to housekeeping everyone went out of their way to please us, I would recommend this Villa to anyone going to Disney World, The rooms were beautiful and the decoration fit the surrounding area, We seen deer in the morning from our balcony, just loved this place.

1 Thank RetiredRN2006
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you come from a camping background, but no longer care for hauling a trailer or setting up camp, If you want the warmth of fireplaces in the winter and cool flow of AC in the summer, Wilderness lodge, and villas is the place to be.

There is a bit of confusion out there regarding Wilderness Lodge, verses the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Wilderness Lodge is the big "U" shaped lodge building with the giant impressive lobby, the feature pool and waterfall. It contains all the store, the restaurants (Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artist Point) as well as a counter service (Roaring Forks).

The Villas at Wilderness Lodge (known as VWL from here on) are directly next door to the main Lodge, and share all the same amenities, but is down a beautiful covered walkway with it's own entrance and miniature version of the Large lobby next door. (Note, Check-in is handled for both buildings at the same front desk in the main building)

The VWL rooms are a part of Disney's Vacation Club (DVC) where members reserve rooms through the use of points they have purchased as a contract (time share style, but not restricted to any particular time of year or location). Rooms in VWL are studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and dedicated 2 bedroom. The studios have a kitchenette, meaning a small fridge, microwave, toaster, 12 cup coffee maker and storage cupboards and counter space. The 1 and 2 bedrooms both have full kitchens as well as the addition of a stacked washer/drier and jacuzzi tub. Dedicated 2 bedrooms mean that the 2 bedroom unit has one entry door and the second bedroom will not have the lay out of a studio, instead, it will have 2 queen sized beds and no kitchenette.

In all our visits to VWL (our favorite DVC resort, with possible exception to Kidani) we've never had a bad stay. The rooms are clean, any issues I've reported have been taken care of the same day and the hallways and areas outside the room are typically very quiet. Only the one time when we were situated near the cow-bells outside the arcade gave me any cause to complain about noise, and it did not occur often.

The Villas have a beautiful side room off the lobby which contains some of Walt's personal trains under glass. There is a fireplace with the best leather rockers in front of it that I've ever snoozed off in and multiple game tables with built-in game boards.

We love VWL and will be visiting it often.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have balconies with solid walls, I personally recommend against them as I like to se...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ShadowsTravelers
Denmark
Reviewed 24 October 2013

After our stay last year when we felt in love with the place , I just had to get here again , so when we couldnt rent more points to stay put on the Old Key West villa I waited to Disney got their discounted prices out which took a while before they did , but at the minute they were out I was in for two nights here in a studio again
I just love the easy access to Magic Kingdom , but also the Wispering Canyon and the quiet pool and the hole thing about bonfire and movie on the beach
The girls love to swim in the pool , but they did say this time that they liked it better at Old Key West - What ? - ok , husbond found the pool bar interesting and enjoyed his time there , I have no idea what he got to drink , the youngest one saw the movie on the beach both evenings I think and I sat there too in the background looking , and then there is the evening with the waterparade which is so nice to get which You dont get if You stay at Old Key West .
We checked in by early around 10.30 am in the morning and got a studio in the same floor just a couple of doors from the other that we had last year , which was nice
After checking in and eating breakfast at the food court of course we went to Magic Kingdom , got back home to hotel for our dinner at Wispering Canyon - got the skillet think they have once again changed up something from last year and it seemed like a lot more to choose even fish which I cant remember that has been a option before we loved it
The next day we went to Animal Kingdom our last day in Disneyparks for a while, had a nice day there and the girls figured out how to use the singel rides que to get on the mount everest , we saw the Lion king show which was nice too and we slept very well , then next morning we left after husbond had picked up our car

3 Thank mutter38