“Wonderful Disney Resort, but rooms need updating”

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #99 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Westchester County, New York
“Wonderful Disney Resort, but rooms need updating”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

First, I should say I am a Disney Vacation Club member (with a different home resort). This was my third stay at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (VWL). The resort property itself is beautiful. The Pacific Northwest theme is wonderful and it is especially lovely when decorated for Christmas. The resort offers excellent pools, restaurants, and amenities. The location is excellent if you want to be near Magic Kingdom. The VWL rooms are very functional, but the decor is quite dated. The beds still have outdated, ugly bedspreads. The rooms are scheduled for a much needed total renovation sometime in 2014. I would gladly stay there again once the renovations are complete.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank JessLCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We recently returned from the Villas on my kids first trip to Disney (along with my inlaws). Having stayed at Yellowstone Lodge, it was like deja vu! Absolutely beautiful lobby and to see it decorated for Christmas was an added bonus. We stayed in a villa and it was wonderful having 2 separate bedrooms and a common area as we would get up and out fairly early while my inlaws would sleep in. The kitchen had everything, even a dishwasher (although we did the meal plan, so we didn't really make use of the kitchen). It was a long walk from the main hotel to the Villas, especially with tired kids at night (from the boat launch); but beautiful grounds. The boat launch was great and we seemed to time it good as we never waited more than 10 minutes. The buses were equally convenient, especially for Downtown Disney or Epcot or Hollywood Studios. The kids loved Whispering Canyon restaurant (ask for ketchup!). The odd number villas had a view overlooking the water--we had a forest view. The actual room was nice; rustic looking (just like Yellowstone); I agree the beds could have been more comfortable; but otherwise it was fine. The pool area was very nice with a small water slide for the kids and they had afternoon activities for the kids daily.

Room Tip: Odd number villas overlook the water; even number overlook the woods. We were on the 5th floor and i...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sweetcin70
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I admit that I may have had unrealistically high expectations for this resort, having only heard good things about it. Sadly, I was fairly disappointed especially with the quality of the suites. We stayed in a 1-bedroom Villa on the 4th floor overlooking the forest. The resort itself, exterior and common areas, are beautiful - we visited at Christmas which made it even more spectacular. The rooms, however, leave a lot to be desired - especially at a price tag of over $500/night. Everything is very dated and run-down, carpets have a musty odour, bed was very uncomfortable with cheap sheets. It felt more like we were staying at a motel than a deluxe Disney property. We have stayed at many resorts with our family and I am sad to say that this was certainly the worst in terms of quality for the high cost. If we do decide to stay on Disney property for our next trip, it will definitely not be at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge - that is, not until they do some serious updating/renovations of their suites (badly needed, especially given the exorbitant fees).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank branflakeMD
CLT
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just got back from a stay at Wilderness Lodge Villas for 5 days and was very impressed with the cleanliness and the service we received from the front desk to housekeeping. Still have a hard time giving a full score as for the price you pay you sure don't get allot for your dollar, I have stayed in better hotels for a 1/4 of the price, I guess that's the cost on staying close to the parks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ivster
Ma.
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Wonderful rooms ,clean and serviced well. Two Restaurants on premises with excellent food and drink. Fun for young and old alike. My family really enjoyed our stay .Buses are available for travel to the parks every 20 minutes and they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ronald P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent our last 6 days of our 16 day Disney vacation at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. The beginning was spent at OKW of which I was totally disappointed (that info can be viewed under OKW). The WL was a breathe of fresh air. We hit a small bump in the road based on the location of our room but that was rectified by Gina the front desk manager and Nena Sue. Both these wonderful ladies were a pleasure to speak with and they handled our problem quickly and gracefully. Both are a credit to the Disney organization and to both I am grateful for their help. The WL is beautiful. It is so very clean and pristine which is the most important to me when I stay anywhere. The grounds are peaceful and gives you the feeling you are in a mountain lodge a decade ago. The pool is lovely combining the new with the old --- a waterfall gushes over mountains of rocks which flow into a stream of rocks which glides into the pool. The room which was a studio overlooked trees and a little walkway (this I viewed from the terrace which is attached to the room.) The bed was comfortable (queen size) and the room also had a queen size couch. The kitchenette area was enough to make coffee and toast and also had a microwave. The refrigerator was small but held all our needs, that is, cold cuts, yogurts, cheeses and other snacks. All in all the WL is our favorite of the Disney VC. I did see my daughter's rooms at Bay Lake Towers (she is also a DVC member). They were lovely but not my style. Too modern. We viewed the Boardwalk and also the newest the Grand Floridian which was absolutely gorgeous!!!

Room Tip: If you are a senior ask for a room closest to the elevators
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank grandma228
Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My family and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villa for 5 days and was sooooo impressed with the cleanliness and the service we received from the front desk to housekeeping everyone went out of their way to please us, I would recommend this Villa to anyone going to Disney World, The rooms were beautiful and the decoration fit the surrounding area, We seen deer in the morning from our balcony, just loved this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family