“Very Nice hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #23 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Hotel is located near Seaworld and Aquatica. JW Marriot is next to hotel and you can use their pool. Very nice and elegant hotel. Great place for kids too.
Breakfast is very good and you can eat from buffet or a la carte.
Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank eal009
Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed 25 April 2011

The Ritz was all that you would expect them to be. Friendly,clean,beautiful buildings. Restraunts had delicious food. Close to 3 outlet malls. Wonderful shopping at great prices. Downtown Orlando has great restraunts and bars. The Ice Bar was our favorite. Made out of real Ice

Room Tip: Ask for the golf side or pool side views
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank mandymilwaukee
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in April. I was really surprised to see a luxury hotel charging for in room internet access. I had just come from the Mandarin Oriental in New York where I was not charged and regularly stay in Four Seasons where I am not charged. Most motels advertise free Wi Fi. It looked so mean and left me feeling exploited. It was one of those annoying things that spoiled what otherwise should have been a pleasant stay. I complained twice and on the second occasion the charge was removed. These rip off charges really are disgraceful in this day and age. After all the room rate is not exactly cheap.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed in the club level with 2 adjoining rooms .....fantastic service aesthetics was outstanding spa was great . The concierge was excellent we also had east access to Disney with courtesy car.

Room Tip: Stay in the Club
  • Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Sghoubrial
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This stay was incredible--fantastic food, gorgeous views, beautiful interiors. My one complaint is that we had to wait, and wait, and wait for our room. We reserved our room a month in advance, the same time as the others in our party, but we were told upon check in that our room choice was not available, but to wait 10 minutes and we'd be called on our cell. Seventy--70!-- minutes later--while our friends were changed and poolside-- we enquired about our room at the front desk and got blank stares. When we finally got into our room and were ready to change for the pool, we had to call the front desk twice to ask where our bags were. Forty five minutes later, our bags were delivered. It didn't ruin our stay, but not what I would expect from the Ritz-Carlton.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SteelCityCampbells
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This place is fabulous. The rooms are spotless, spacious, and inviting. The pools are incredible - bring an inner-tube for the lazy river. It is very close to Sea World.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kris B
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We went here for a convention and were treated like it.

The hotel is beautiful and the rooms clean, maid service is excellent.

With that being said, there is really nothing else good I can say about the hotel. Bring your own toiletries, the soaps and shampoos smell like Dawn dishing washing detergent and the toilet paper is gas station quality comfort. Maybe they are eco-friendly, that would at least make up for the lack of fragrance and comfort.

We ordered a king size and ended up with two full sized beds with an upgrade on our view to make up for it. It was a pretty room and clean. The maid was on the ball, every time we left the room if we didn't put a sign on the door, the room was tidied and the toilet paper folded and our bed made with chocolates laid out. She was even nice enough to give me some small bottles of water.

The front desk or "concierge" service, however, is lacking. We had a couples massage booked and I was supposed to meet my boyfriend and asked for directions to the spa and was directed to follow the signs outside and across the courtyard in the rain. I arrived at the spa soaking wet only to find out that I could have gotten there without ever having to go outside. That was very frustrating. I think they see the conference goers as lower class and therefore don't really care about giving good service. At least I hope this is the reason, I would hate to think they treat everyone this way. From some of the other reviews though, I do wonder. Just a side note, the way I was directed went through a room that had buckets on the floor to catch places where the ceiling was leaking, thought that was strange for a high class hotel.

The first night there, we had dinner at the Vineyard Grill which was very busy but nice atmosphere. Out waiter was very nice and friendly but the service was very, very slow. We waited about an hour after ordering our dinner. I got the roasted chicken and baked potato, the potato and green beans were good but the chicken was a little dry, a little disappointing for a $40 meal. The others liked the steaks, I guess I should have gotten the steak.

The first day there, I went looking for a place to eat for lunch and found the front desk to be less than helpful. I ended up going back to my room and eating from the room service menu and after it was all said and done, I spent $25 for a turkey sandwich.

After realizing we were located within walking distance of nothing and feeling trapped and finding and our only options to eat were the very expensive restaurants on site, we opted to rent a car.

When I asked about car rental, I was offered the Hertz rental service on campus and after trying to call twice and getting voicemail, gave up and asked for directions to the computer terminals. I was misdirected again and even told the sign said "Business Center" only to wander around and finally be directed to the correct location which was the "FedEx Office". My boyfriend was in a conference and I didn't bring a laptop so I ended up spending 40 cents a minute to find a MUCH cheaper option for car rental.

We paid $60 for the car service from the airport the first day, which was fine, it was a nice drive and the driver was very friendly. We called for a taxi to take us to the airport to pick up the rental car. I assume that taxi drivers must see this hotel as a cash cow with guests that have nothing better to do with their cash because we were driven 10 miles out of the way and through 2 tolls and would have been way overcharged except we had a gps on our phone and pointed out to the driver that he went way out of his way to get us there. I know others who complained of the same thing.

The gift shop for the Ritz was full of expensive things that only an old lady would love. The gift shops at the Merriot were much more appealing.

We are not poor by any means and I don't mind spending money on nice things but this place was overpriced and overrated. I would much rather we have taken our money and gotten a suite at a hotel near some night life. I don't care how nice it looks, it feels like you are trapped on a compound and if you are staying here for a conference, you are made to feel like a second-class citizen. And as much as you pay for the hotel, there is no free shuttle to or from the airport, there is a $17 per day parking fee, and a $10 internet fee even if you don't use it! If you are here for a conference, take your money to another hotel and get a nice suite and get better customer service.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business