“European in Orlando - Ritz scored well”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #19 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“European in Orlando - Ritz scored well”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

6 months ago I went to Ritz in Key Biscayne and it was bad...I was highly sceptical but this one is much better. The staff is very helpful and discrete, everything works and you feel that your presence is appreciated. I was there for a business conference and all facilities, food and service scored very high. The room is a classic comfort and everything works just fine, nothing to worry about. The morning newspaper is a nice addition. Once you're there Norman's restaurant is not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I live locally, but feeling the need to de-stress, and having heard great things about the Ritz-Carlton, I decided to escape here for 2 nights in September. It was absolutely wonderful and although it seemed great for couples and families too, "it is also great for some quality alone time.
I checked into a beautiful King room up on one of the higher floors. The bathroom was gorgeous and had every conceivable amenity. My only "complaint" is that it had a regular bathtub, although it was pretty long. I would have loved a garden tub to soak in.Room has mini-bar with snacks (really should not have eaten those cookies!) Also had an in room safe. They have Wi-Fi but there is a charge for it, unfortunately.With all you pay for everything else, it would be nice to have that thrown in for free. Nice, flat screen TV with in room movies available. Had a nice view of the pool and lake areas from my charming little balcony but they have great sound proofing and I was high enough up that there was no noise. The room was spotless and the king size bed was very comfy. The room included a fabulous chaise lounge-of like an old fashioned "fainting couch" that was wide and comfortable and was perfect for curling up with a book. I really liked the fact that the curtains allow you to darken the room completely so you can sleep in.
The hotel does allow dogs and I had considered bringing my "schnoodle" but at the end decided not to. Probably will next time though. Easy convenient areas for walking, and even dog goody amenities. They do charge $125 per night pet fee. Everything is so clean that you'd never believe that dogs sometimes stay here too!
I had most of my meals via room service as this was "hermit" weekend and the food was great and delivery the fastest of any hotel I've ever stayed at. (25 minutes or less). Staff was wonderfully pleasant and accomodating.

I spent the second day at their spa. Definitely one of the nicest spas Orlando has to offer. Beautiful serene, atmosphere. I spent half the day there with one of their packages that allowed me to pick exactly which services I wanted, unlike some of the other places I had checked with that are very limited. They have a large fitness center as well that looked very nice but the only workout I was interested in this visit were the massages. (those count as exercise, right?) I had a body treatment with massage, facial and pedicure and each therapist was wonderful. They have a huge list of other, exotic treatments that I can't wait to try next time The package included a nice, healthy lunch at their spa restaurant. I was sooo relaxed after my spa time that I immediately flopped into one of their lakefront hammocks on the way back to my room. Love those hammocks! Wish all resorts had them. Nice breeze, swinging gently in hammock overlooking the water-well, you get the picture. There are also nice walking trails around the lake area that I enjoyed too.
In addition to a couple of restaurants, there is a nice little bar in the lobby where one can sip a drink and people watch. Lobby was so huge it's overwhelming! I had trouble finding the gift shop and the employee I stopped to ask directions from, actually took the time to personally walk me all the way to the other side and personally escort me instead of just pointing. Really stellar service all around.
There is a JW Marriott resort in the same general area, a short walk away and I understand that Ritz-Carlton guests may use those facilities too which include a few additional things. I did not venture over there.
I noticed it has a large convention center and the rooms are set up well if you have to work during your stay. Location is good being close to the airport as well as the attractions. Because it's not right smack in the middle of the attractions (about 10 minutes away) you don't have nearly as much tourist traffic and noise as you would by staying closer to them.
I'm sure the hotel has even more to offer that I didn't take advantage of, but I highly recommend it to travelers as well as locals who want a mental health break. I came home feeling renewed and refreshed.

My only real complaint is that housekeeping tends to walk in on you if you don't have the chain on the door. I was out on the balcony on one occasion, in the shower the second and did not hear them knock. They walked right in and did not immediately leave once they realized the room was occupied. Instead, they came up to me, scaring the daylights out of me to ask if I needed anything! I appreciate the solicitude, but I do wish they would give a guest a little more time to get to the door and once seeing the guest is in the room, go away! It's a little intrusive. Guess it's my fault for not chaining ther door during the day as well as at night. Lesson learned!

This is not a cheap get away but I felt that it was worth every penny. Treat yourself and go!

Room Tip: Partial lake view is still an awesome view and less expensive than a full lake view. I didn't se...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Arabella47
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Oh my goodness, this is a beautiful - no, gorgeous - hotel. The grounds are impeccable, the pools are fantastic, and the service is best in class. The rooms are absolutely amazing - the bathroom is like a retreat and the beds are heavenly. OH and the spa! WOW!!
Everywhere we looked, the hotel was like eye candy. We played ping pong, life sized chess, laid in one of the many hammocks and enjoyed the view on the balcony. There are so many available activities that we couldn't have done them all in a week! The complimentary water was great - especially the flavored water in the lobby and pool areas. There are ELEVEN restaurants on the property, and the food was delicious at the ones where we ate. It is a short drive to Disney, but a world away from the chaos of the parks.

There are two downsides to this complex (and I almost feel bad writing this) - the spa is too expensive and the Wi-Fi in our room was little more than a trickle of data. If you do choose to use the spa, expect to spend around $300 for two basic services, and plug your computer into the ethernet connection to get a decent data speed.

Best hotel I've stayed in during my many years of travel.

Room Tip: A/C units are located on the first floor, south side of the building.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank halclark
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed 3 nights, I could have stayed 3 months, lobby bar is favorite happy hour place to hang out gorgeous view of the swimming pool and golf course. The spa services great also!! The food, staff,rooms perfect! We celebrated our anniversary and they presented us with a very sweet surprise!

Room Tip: Higher floors had the greatest view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy12121320
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The Ritz Grande Lakes is our only choice when we travel to Orlando. The rooms are comfortable and the service is outstanding. We have stayed numerous times and have never been disappointed. Despite other reviews, the club room is highly recommended. The staff makes you feel like an old friend and right at home. The food and beverage presentations will take you all the way from morning until night. The worst part is heading home. The best part, we will be back!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tommy_ZZZZ
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Though attending a wedding weekend, we were able to enjoy the facility and in-room dining. This lovely hotel has pretty lakeside vistas and service is top-notch. Our breakfast, eggs benedict w/salmon and eggs with bacon along with fresh squeezed OJ, was excellent. Service was prompt from valet, to room service to housekeeping. We were impressed and would be happy to return for a weekend get-a-way!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside view on an upper floor, 14 or 15.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandyBF
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We spent 3 days at this hotel to attend a wedding event. Our room was very clean and confortable. We had a view of the pool and it was very nice. The room was properly equipped and internet friendly. Service in general was excellent and very friendly. In relation to the parking, you had two options, the self park or the valet parking. We chose the valet parking which was very efficient. Our experience at their restaurant was also very good both in quality of food and service. All the activities in relation to the wedding were great.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family