“Great Getaway”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #24 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My daughter and I went here for a day of pampering at the spa and had the best time. We had manicures and pedicures and took advantage of many of the other amenities. From the moment we walked through the doors we were treated like queens. The staff were all super professional and friendly. At one point my daughter dropped her money and the staff person who found it could tell we came back and were looking for something and when we told her what happened, she said she found it on the floor and handed it back. We felt in such good hands all day there. They have a beautiful large outdoor pool and jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, whirlpool tub, etc. they are a full service spa with massages and many other treatments. They supply water, fruit, and other snacks. Also, they have shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, contact solution, deodorant, hairspray, hair gel, salt scrub, razors, etc. all included in any spa service you purchase. We plan on going back which is the best compliment I can give them.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was THE most relaxing vacation we have had for many years and the Ritz-Carlton was above and beyond any other hotel we have stayed in, in Orlando (and I am picky). It was a last-minute 'getaway' weekend. I'd emailed the hotel to arrange a dinner reservation and little birthday cake for our youngest on our second-to last night, but other than that we'd not had contact with the hotel in advance. They have a very large range of cakes that they will make for birthdays and you can customize them somewhat (Amanda who handled the dinner and cake arrangements was fantastic - thank you!).

We arrived after a delayed flight at around midnight for a 5-night stay with two bad-tempered and tired children in tow. We were immediately offered ice cold water and our youngest was wished 'happy birthday' and was given extra attention.

We had booked the basic-level room, simply because it was a last-minute thing, but our room was beautiful and certainly couldn't be described as basic. Everything spotlessly clean in the room and the bathroom - .e.g tiling and caulking was spotless (always a 'thing' I check when I'm at a hotel as I hate dirty bathrooms)! On the pillow was a handwritten note outlining the next day's weather forecast and chocolates. Best surpise of all (and not requested by us, nor expected) was the many balloons and hand-written Happy Birthday note for our youngest, together with some beautiful chocolate ganache brownies and hand-made caramel sauce....very much needed and appreciated by the 2 hungry minors in the room! Of course, one of them immediately spilled the caramel all over the bed sheets...which was dealt with quickly the next day. Oops.

The hotel: Whilst a very large hotel with a lot of conference activity - it really doesn't feel like it because the hotel is well designed. The conference areas are well separated from the more open leisure areas of the hotel. The environment feels very calm and best described as 'civilised'. Being a Ritz, it has beautiful decor (as expected) and has a very classic decor and feel to it. Compared to the Marriott (the adjoining hotel and in which we have stayed also), the hotel is many steps above in quality level, but is not at all stuffy or snobby. In the lobby area during the day there is fresh-lemonade for guests.

The staff: Without exception, each member of staff with whom we dealt or even met in a corridor asked us how our visit was going and were we having a good stay at the hotel? No,one was pushy, but it was lovely attention to guests. A level of service you do not get at other hotels. Nothing seemed too much trouble for any of them and each staff member had a smile on their face.

The Room: Well equipped, nice to have slippers (2 pairs) in the room with the robes. The toiletries are Asprey of London (I'm not sure about whether the suites have the same brand of toiletries) and there were plenty of them. The beds were the most comfortable of any hotel room we have stayed in. There were lots of additional European square pillows in addition to the regular size and the linens were very soft. The room was QUIET. We heard nothing from the corridor or adjoining rooms. In fact, the entire hotel seemed to have very good noise insulation. For longer stays, if you have children, I would suggest a 1-bedroom suite simply because children can get messy and seem to 'take over' a room.

The pool area: The main pool is large and suitable for swimmers and families. There are pool loungers for guests to use. There are also floating loungers to use in the pool - not many but everyone was sharing nicely. The pool never felt too busy and there were always enough pool-side loungers. I think this may be because families (like ours) tend to spend time between the lazy river pool at the Marriott and the Ritz pool. There is also a little playground and zero-entry water-spray area for the littlest guests. The pool area has free iced water (fruit enfused - strawberry and orange) for guests. The spa pool is ideally suited for lap swimmers (like me, who really want to have lanes to swim in). Many people comment on the cost of using the spa pool. The spa pool is actually free for Ritz guests between 5 and 8am each day and I used the pool during that period to lap swim, so no need to pay. Guest services also offered to arrange a minimal rate for me to lap swim if I wanted to swim outside of this time. I did not use the spa itself but did pop in and it seemed very calm, just like the rest of the hotel. My husband used the gym which is also situated as part of the spa (gym is free for guests) and he said the equipment was top notch. There was no presssure on the part of the hotel to use any of the 'premium' services.

Additional pools: one attraction of this complex is the lazy river pool that we have used previously when staying next door at the Marriott and it is complimentary for Ritz guests. That area is a lot busier HOWEVER still with plenty of room. It's a great change for the children who can laze as much as they like in the water. There were plenty of lifeguards walking around this area checking on children.

Dining and drinks: I'm a martini drinker. Many hotels skimp on the size of martinis and charge double (for example the Renaissance at Orlando Sea World), so I was not sure about what I would get. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the martini was a full size one! Drinks (alcoholic or non) are accompanied by caramelized walnuts, wasabi nuts and pretzels). The bar staff know exactly what they are doing - are pleasant, polite and service is not slow! The bar area is split into a smaller area and one with slightly larger tables where I saw people having snacks. We also had snacks poolside. Like any pool side food, it's not gourmet, but the quantity was good. There was always attentive staff poolside.

During the morning hours, I would swim and then feel hungry. At the entrance to the elevators during the morning, there is Peet's Coffee and pastries for sale which is an attractive option for those who do not want room service. Also, a short walk through the corridors leading to the Marriott part of the complex, you will find a Starbucks and also a bistro-style market. The Starbucks is better than the market and a lot cheaper.

Room service: We ordered breakfast room service for the children which arrived on time and HOT. The pancakes were fresh made and accompanied by plenty of berries and warmed maple syrup with iced water for 4. The large pot of coffee ordered IS large! Kudos for the breakfast quality and quantity.

We had dinner in the VIneyard Grill, on recommendation from Amanda who organized the booking for us prior to our arrival. It was definitely the right call. Our youngest was greeted by name and welcomed as the special guest and we found yet another set of balloons at the table for him. Yes, the menu is expensive, but very good. The staff moved our table immediately when our oldest poured water across the entire table. 2 of our table ordered meat. One was a filet steak (cooked perfectly; tender and tasty) and one was the pork chop which was delicious also. I'm not really a meat eater but would quite easily have eaten both! I ordered fish which was the only disappointment. I found it dry and the waiter was concerned about that, but really it wasn't a big deal to me. They do have a children's menu for the little ones who are picky. The atmosphere is semi-formal but still casual at the same time. At the end of dinner our youngest was presented with a beautiful vanilla cake with a vanilla buttercream center and icing and fresh strawberries. Delicious and he was delighted.

Parking: We self-parked. Now, parking is always a contentious issue for people staying in Orlando. Many do not like the fact that all the 'resorts' expect you to pay for parking. Well, that's just how it is in Orlando and all the hotel resorts do it, so by staying here you need to accept that there is that fee. Somewhere like the Rosen Shingle Creek expects you to park almost a bus-ride away from the entrance and charges more for the privilege. We found that the self-parking here was close to the entrance and less than a minute's walk to one of the closer entrances (which was one of the convention entrances). This was better in the heat of the day as you can walk in the air-con.

Ritz Kids Club. We received a couple of handwritten notes from the club. Had we stayed longer, we would have used the facilities, but it was a weekend where we intended to spend all our time with the children, so we didn't need to use the club. From what I could see, the club closes early if there are no children registered to use the facilities, so registering in advance would definitely be necessary.

Extra touches: the newspapers are delivered in little heavy-linen bags - a nice touch. There is complimentary turn-down service with chocolates each evening should you wish it. The towels at the Ritz pool are taken to your loungers by staff members and have 'hoods' on them which are slipped over the back of the loungers so that the towels do not ride down as you are lying on the lounger. The staff also places other towels to act as neck pillows as well. There is a complimentary overnight shoe shine service.

Is it expensive? Yes, but in this case you absolutely get what you pay for in terms of service, ambiance, amenities and attention. You'd pay the same at the Marriott on the other side of the complex but not get anywhere near the quality.

Our family's opinion was ten out of ten (from the oldest to the youngest of us). We all relaxed and that was what we needed. After 20 years of visiting Orlando with my spouse and 8 years with the children,the Ritz was family-voted as our 'go to' destination for Orlando.

(I also travel to Orlando yearly for a sole swim/relaxation weekend and I will certainly be staying here for those future trips). Well done Ritz-Carlton. I was getting resort-fatigue from other places in Orlando but this resort does deserve 5 stars.

3  Thank mdbd1
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The Ritz Carlton Grande lakes hotel is gorgeous and their spa is huge. There is no better way to treat or pamper yourself. The food at the Vitale spa cafe is some of the best food I have ever eaten. They make a fabulous blue crab salad and the ahi tuna is to die for. Everything on the menu is fabulous. The staff really goes out of their way to make you happy. If you want something that isn't on the menu just ask. The waitresses out by the pool are hardworking and very pleasant. I visit this place a few times a year and the staff always remembers me and I feel like they are family. I get incredible massages from my favorite therapist and if I tell you his name I will probably never get an appointment with him again. He is very professional and I feel like a million bucks after my treatment. I would move in here if I could. It is just that great. If you are ever in the area treat yourself to a spa treatment and spend the day at the pool and have lunch at vitale. You deserve it and you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, great service, great hospitality,and great people. They deliver what the Ritz advertises and promises. Highly recommend, you will not be disappointed. Go and enjoy a cocktail and appetizer at the Lobby Bar, first class people, service and ambiance.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Lovely hotel, lovley setting and top marks for customer service. One of the few hotels that I cannot fault one bit. Perfect place to stay if you plan on going to any of the parks as they have free shuttles in the morning and back in the evening. Food was awsome too, dont be afraid to try the Marriot next door too, their restuarants were perfect too and a little cheaper.

Room Tip: Ask for a club floor, bit quiter up there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Before my trip to Orlando, in january 2013, I made an extensive research looking for a hotel that is no a tipical Disney hotel. I was spending all day with a lot of kuds, so I need a more grow up place. I saw some pictures of Ritz-Carlton, and with the brand name plus special price, it was my choice. Oh My God! My stay was perfect. The reception with a glass of champagne, the cordiality of the valet and all the staff, the amenities inside my bathroom, and also the size of the same bathroom. Everything was great! Everyday, the valet asked ne if I need directions, and if I need some water. This is a 5 star service my friend. I also bought some stuff from Amazon and everything was delivered to my room in no time. Well, defenitly I will be back at Ritz-Carlton Orlando. One of the best Hotels I had the opportunity to know.

Room Tip: Far away from elevator and ice machine is always a good choice in all hotels, because of the noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AnacVentilari
Reviewed 23 June 2013

After a few minor glitches, the staff at the Ritz was top notch! Every employee we encountered was personable, helpful, and extremely pleasant! We were always treated with such kindness and hospitality!
Any issue we encountered, was taken care of immediately, and properly, never a short cut, or rude employee.
Our children were treated like adults, and shown a tremendous amount of respect. I felt safe with my teens/tweens being in the hotel, knowing that there were employees there to assist if I wasn't able to be with them.
Jeff, the bartender; George, the in-room dining gentleman; and especially Neicey and Xavier at the front desk were A+ employees!!! The housekeepers kept my girls impressed with their kindness and smiles!
I hope everyone has the pleasure of staying at this Ritz! I have had unpleasant experiences at other RItz Carltons, but I have to say in the 6 days we were there, never once was I disappointed... they really are fantastic!

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic!
1  Thank jenmue