“Disappointed”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #24 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Overall, this is a very nice hotel but we experienced one too many customer service issues for us to highly recommend his particular property. Ritz management did appropriately and graciously respond to our issues (amusement park shuttle and billing related) but this did not negate the fact that we experienced the issues to begin with. While there are many positive aspects to this hotel, management needs to focus on how it treats it's guests and always focus on making their stay as stress free as possible. More specific to the property, the rooms are small and only offer two double beds if a king is not desired, which can be a bit too tight for four people.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jeffrey N
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort. I am very sorry that you experienced difficulties and challenges during your stay and my team and I did not resolve them while you were at the resort. Of course, our goal is to never inconvenience a guest and we fell short. If time permits I would be grateful if I could speak with you directly to better understand the challenges you experienced.
Warmest Regards,
Jon McGavin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,922)

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Ritz is on a stunning piece of land (for Orlando) that includes all kinds of wildlife. We really liked the open space and calm around the Ritz.

Our room was very nice. Nice balcony to enjoy the Florida weather and large bathroom. Bed was just OK, one side was leaning. Sheets, pillows, towels, all first class.

Lobby area is very nice as is the pool. Again, very relaxing vibe to the Ritz and we really appreciated it.

So why only 4-stars? The service just wasn't 5-star level at the prices charges. The concierge messed up a spa reservation (forgot about it), housekeeping didn't clean our room in a 4 hour window we requested, and we had to call twice to get a breakfast ordering card. At check-out, the valet parked our car in the rain and we started to load our bags on our own.

Also has a goofy resort fee with "free" internet. But wireless internet isn't free, it's $14.95 a day. So only the wired internet is free.

In between the issues (which weren't deal killers) were numerous friendly and hard working employees. The Ritz employees tried hard, they just didn't close the deal like the finest hotels I have stayed in (such as the Mandarins and some Vegas resorts).

We will return for sure and would recommend anyone give the Ritz a visit.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms are quieter and have a great view of the lake and golf course
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dave9956
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Really, really quality staff. Every single employee acknowledged your existence and took pride in working for your hotel and was incredibly helpful. We would single out Bobbi in the bar and Jessica in the Vitale restaurant.
Really good hires, we will return for sure.
Great job to all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on a quick January weekend escape with our 2-year-old. From start to finish, the stay was spectacular. Although we had rain the whole trip, we were still able to enjoy the facilities as much as possible. They have a great hot tub to relax in after a day at Disney. The property is a bit of a drive from any good restaurants, but luckily, they have several to choose from. They are also connected to the JW Marriott which has one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to. I ordered the squash ravioli with lobster and it was divine (huge pieces of lobster claw).

My son forgot the stuffed alligator they had put in his crib upon our arrival, and they sent it to our home the next day. Superb staff! Can't wait to return when it gets a little warmer.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2014

1. Called very early the morning of arrival very early to ask for a quiet room with a king bed away from the elevators, even if not ready upon check in. Upon arrival, no room was ready yet, but repeated the request; they said they would call my cell when the room was ready. When called a few hours later, I went to the desk to check in, got my key and after heading to the elevator, realized I needed a second key and went back to the desk, to the same clerk to whom I made the request earlier. She then said, by the way, your room is across from the elevator. I said that was not agreeable. She said they would work on it and get back to me later. When I came back a few hours later they said I had to choose between a king bed near the elevator or two smaller beds away from it. I said that was not agreeable. Finally, after another hour they had a room for me.
2. I never even opened the honor bar, but when I happened to notice my credit card bill from the hotel I saw there were two charges, one large and the second one being for only a couple of dollars. I called the hotel and they said that the charge was for the honor bar. Since I was calling at 710pm, they said I would have to call back the next day to have it reversed. I said that my time was more valuable than that and that I was annoyed I had to call at all. To her credit, the supervisor took control and promised to arrange it the next day without my having to make a second call. Always check your bills after departure at this hotel!
3. The fitness club is a walk from the hotel, as it is shared with the Marriott next door, but it is well stocked.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank P
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Orlando. I want to thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with your arrival to the resort. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that my team and I caused you and not being able to provide you with the room type that you requested. This is not acceptable performance on my team and my side. My team and I take this defects very seriously and we have already begun to look at how to ensure we do not repeat this situation. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and personally apologize if that is acceptable with you. Thank you again for your candor and feedback.
Warmest Regards,
Jon McGavin

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Hotel, pool and grounds are gorgeous and immaculate. Housekeeping and room service were excellent. In fact, everyone who worked there was very friendly, polite and helpful. Service really sets the hotel apart. Executive suite was spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated and featured generous balcony and very comfortable bed. Shuttle to Disney was very easy to use. It took about 20 minutes in the morning, longer ride in the late afternoon with some traffic. Breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful -- the whole family loved it. Only complaint was some noise outside late night -- I suppose from one of the many conventions taking place at the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a nice, distant view of Disney fireworks from our 9th floor pool view suite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NPCON
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The hotel is gorgeous inside and out (besides the self-parking lot), the service was fantastic and the buffet at the Vineyard Grill for breakfast in the mornings was excellent, most likely the best breakfast buffet I've had. The front desk gave me a credit for breakfast at the Grill since I asked for a different floor than I was given and that was there way to make up for it and that was fine by me. The hotel was completely packed at the time I was staying. I was here for business however it looks like most of the guests were here with children for vacation and there was also a huge wedding party present. My room was spacious and had a great view. The bathroom was sparkling clean and well equipped. Regardless of the hotel being very busy, I did not have any disturbance and slept well. It was a great stay and I will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business