“A Solid Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #25 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was principally bilt for conventions and does a wonderful job at that. It is a large, high quality resort. Very little expense was spared for interior design, building materials and landscaping. The pools, spa and golf course were all first rate. The fact that it is situated in Orlando is a bonus. Our room very nice and private and was on the 14th floor overlooking the koi pond. I will attach a photo to this review. The higher your room the better. Because this is a resort property, one must be prepared to bring a lot of small bills to properly tip various staff members. For example, valet, bellmen unloading and bellman taking up, housekeeping, ice service, pool staff, spa attendents and staff, golf course shuttle drivers, golf course starter and staff, etc. Whew! That said, we had a great time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Reasonable50

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Found this place has regressed in the year since I was last here. It's impersonal and difficult to grab the staffs attention. It's busy but yet feels empty. It try's to be a grand old institution - but is full of kids in swimming trunks - totally at loggerheads with the image. It was approx 30% more expensive than the Waldorf Astoria - which proved far superior the following day!

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Palmyra14
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

I wanted to thank you for your comments and feedback. Obviously we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit and I am very sorry. Our mission as a Ritz-Carlton is to create exceptional memories and we certainly fell short. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to see where my team and I missed on delivering on our promise to you. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Candidly, staff from the front desk, to poolside service, to the spa were very inconsistent, and frankly lacked that Ritz X Factor. I'm as surprised as anyone, but my observations met those across a large group of colleagues down here for a 4 day trip. Anyone can buy/erect a bldg. Staff and training are what makes the difference, and these folks just appeared to lack the energy and follow through to make the difference.....just too bad.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pete N
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Greetings from Grande Lakes and thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on your recent visit to the resort. I am very sorry that my team and I did not provide the consistent level of service and experience that one should expect from a Ritz-Carlton. There is certainly no excuse. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate departments so we can immediately address the inconsistencies in service. I would br grateful to speak with you directly if you had the time. I welcome your candor and comments and want to see if there is more information that I can get from you. I wish you a wonderful day.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Amazing luxury hotel. Self Park was full so had to use valet parking this time - although they did try to charge us for both! Room was luxurious and big with great view of the pool, lake and golf course from the 11th floor. We stayed using Marriott Points - 90,000 for 2 nights - a lot more than most hotels. Was disappointing that we also had to pay for breakfast as it's usually free for Platinum guests - but since this is a "resort" you don't get a free Marriott Breakfast or access to an executive lounge or a free gift on checkin - disappointing! Equally disappointing was the $25 per day resort fee - for what? a 2 night "free" stay with breakfast cost me 90,000 points and $235 - already complaind to the hotel management so let's see what happens

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leeeds
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent visit to our resort. Your feedback is very important to us and we do use the information to work to continuously improve. Of course, you did not see the value during your time with us and I am truly sorry for not creating this for you and your family. I would very much like the opportunity to speak with you to get more detail from you and try to regain your confidence.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The Ritz's Grande Lakes was the best hotel that we have ever stayed at. Upon arriving the lobby was a bit busy and our suitcases were taken to our room and we were given chilled water bottles. When we were checking in I stated that we would like to have a payed upgrade to the Club Level, however due to it being spring break they were sold out and instead we were given a free credit to the lovely Vineyard Grill. They had the best breakfast buffet I personally have ever had with pastries, a chef making fresh omelette's, pancakes and so on. The only thing was we had to wait about fifteen minuets to get a table so I would call in advance next time, it could have also been overly busy due to Spring Break, it's understandable though. Our room was Very well appointed and the Bathroom was Immaculate. The turndown service was very lovely and helpful especially the card that was placed next to the night stand lamp that stated the weather for the week. The only flaw or hiccup that we experienced was that valet misplaced our car for about ten minuets and again it's understandable it might have been due to them being extremely busy, an apology would have been nice though. Yes, staying here was pricey, however you pay for the service and the small things make a world of a difference in fact it makes all the difference. Overall a delightful stay we will be back wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Orlando.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank -POLO-SINGH-
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The only dislike that I had was that while I was attending a business conference at the hotel for five days I was a bit stunned by the $19.17 daily SELF PARKING charge (with no in & out allowed on the same day, so if you needed to go off property for lunch, etc you would have to pay another $19.) So, over my 5 day stay it cost me over $100. just to SELF PARK in a lot that was a considerable up hill hike to the lobby and meeting center. While I understand this is the ultra luxury end of the Marriott hotel chain, the charge for distant self parking was a little over the top.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank TVZoom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was to be our family reunion after cold winter in Boston and cold winter in Texas. Our daughter selected the hotel based on RitzKids program of the hotel and proximity to the entertainment parks. We had two rooms which Ritz asked for and or demanded to be prepaid, and we stayed for 6 days. The first three days the rate was $286 per room per night and then it want up to $370 per room per nigh for the reason we were not told. But after the second night we knew why. The NFL Management had its annual meeting there. My son-in-law was exited to see his favored Patriots folks. He was not thrilled for too long. The second night he ate in the hotel restaurant and then spent his night between the bathroom and the bed. That wiped out his visit to a park for a day. Loaded with immodium he had to leave for a business on the West Coast. I mentioned his episode to a hotel manager and he adjusted his room by a modest reduction. The next nigh, my grandson got also ill. Also stomach/belly issue so severe he had to be taken to the Children hospital in Orlando. The hotel Security Manager assisted us with getting an ambulance. For this episode my grandson received a complimentary basket of 2 gatorades. a teddy bear toy and a box of crackers. The adjustment of the bill from my son-in-laws trouble did come handy here and likely paid for a portion of the ambulatory service. And on the last night, another person got violently ill. That was not reported to the hotel because we were leaving to the airport.

Besides alleged quality of the food that may have caused the illnesses the hotel is filthy. The carpet in the room is dirty, very dirty. White socks look like one walked in a coal pile, black dirty. Louvers in the bathroom doors that separates the toilet from bathroom have not had the fins cleaned in years. Elevator bottoms are so dirty that it needed to be touched with one's elbows. The brass plates around those buttons are not cleaned frequently; I made my finger print at 10 AM one day and at 7 PM it was still there. Brass railing are untouchable; they are also filthy. I have not seen a single person running around with a mop, bucked wiping and cleaning the property.

Amenities provided by the hotel are for a good laugh. One room gets one bar soap sized of an Oreo cookie, one little bottle (75 ml) of mouth wash for two people, a tube of shampoo, another for shower and another of cream. And if one needs more one, one MUST ask. Does Ritz think that its guests are panhandlers. This place is advertised as a luxury hotel, 5 star establishment. Several of those claimed stars are badly faded, Mr Ritz. Every luxury hotel we have been to provided us with slippers. That was not case here. Perhaps the dirty hotel room carpet would have been more visible.

RitKids did not work well. The activities shifted more towards satisfying kids of NFL Management staff, and their activities were off-limits to other guests. NFL missed a good PR opportunity here.

Hotel is on fine grounds, no doubt. But if you have your cell phone with Sprint, Sprint connection does not work there well, if it works at all and you have time.

Overall we were very disappointed with this Ritz hotel. Barring illnesses which sometimes do happen this Ritz does not meet the luxury rank in food, amenities, services, and being clean. I can make such a point asI stayed in 100's of hotels, great and not so great, worldwide, during my professional career, and this one is waste of your money and outright dangerously unhealthy place. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank czeckmate

Good afternoon! I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am for your experience and I hope your family is feeling better. There is no way I can make up for the challenges you experienced but would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to get further details. Thank you for your feedback as I do take any comments seriously. I hope to have the chance to speak with you soon.