“Spoiled!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Spoiled!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a girls getaway to celebrate a big birthday and decided to splurge and spend our weekend at the Ritz. It was an amazing and peaceful stay with so many wonderful touches. Our dinner at Norman's was one of the best meals! Doug, at the lobby bar, provided excellent service! Our spa treatments were indulgent and our relaxation time by the pool was divine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dmfnole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Usually stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge...there is something lovely about having the giraffes out side your window, but we wanted a change.
The service is of course, some of the best available. Our room was lovely, if a little small for 3 adults, with a spacious bathroom.
Room service for breakfast was perfect. One thing.. the hotel first floor is somewhat vacant and supersized...there is one small gift shop which was closed, or you can walk through long empty corridors to the attached JW Marriott. Not easy for an elderly member of the party.

Room Tip: As always, away from elevators, even at the Ritz. They do host a lot of large corporate meetings he...
Winter Garden, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I just spent a relaxing weekend at the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes. We immediately felt welcome. The staff was pleasant and friendly. They were very helpful and attentive. Guest rooms are normal-sized for a Ritz, but the bathroom was rather large and we always appreciate a separate tub and shower. Double sinks and a separate toilet room are always nice, too.
The hotel is elegant and the grounds are well-maintained. Pool is average, but larger than other RC pools we've visited. My only complaint about the pool is that some music would have been nice. Food and drinks at the pool restaurant were great. Delicious salads and flat bread pizza.
My husband golfed one of the days we were there and said the course was great. He said he could see himself playing there again and again. He is a scratch golfer and very picky, so this says a lot about the quality of the golf course.
To sum it up, I think it might be my favorite Orlando area hotel. The location is nice, too. Away from the chaos and traffic of the theme parks, but close enough to many great restaurants and attractions.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Melissa W
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Well, firstly, I'm a very dumb blonde (yes I am blonde) because I thought I had written my latest review about the RC as soon as I arrived back (April 2014), however I must have forgotten. So I'm writing it now. Compared to last year (which was a last minute family trip including child's birthday), this was a one-woman getaway which I do every year. Just me, books and my swimming goggles with no desire whatsoever to talk to anyone - it's my yearly decompression trip! I have one major prerequisite in Orlando on my 'mom trips' which is a lap pool - other than that, I look for a good martini! I was so impressed with our family visit in 2013 that I felt I must come back to the RC again and see if was as good. I was just as impressed this time.

I arrived ridiculously early in the morning - my flight got in at 8.30 am so I arrived at the hotel around 9.30am. I asked if I could store my luggage and perhaps spend time at the pool before there was a room (I had booked a lake view) and they were very happy to accommodate. In fact, they said to me that if I didn't mind a non-lake view, there was a room already ready if I wished to take it! Now, given that looking at the lake wasn't my major reason for being there - I was delighted to be booked in so early and by 10.30 am I was at the pool, with book having unpacked clothes, etc.

The Ritz Carlton is a wonderful place for a number of reasons (for children's stuff see my last review as this will concentrate on other general points):

The spa pool (which is a lap pool) normally comes at a cost however if you swim incredibly early in the morning (which I always do), it is free. It is a wonderful feeling to swim and watch the sun come up - negotiating past the offended resident couple of ducks who are indignant that you are crowding them out! Just incredibly relaxing as well as revitalizing.

The regular pool is also very large. Whilst it doesn't have lane markings, there were a number of people over the 4 days who were doing serious swimming. The regular pool (limited to RC guests only) also has floats you can lie on and which are provided free. As is the lounger set up with towels and neck roll. It's nice also always to have fresh iced fruit water (free) and fruit in the hotel (whether by the pool or inside) that you can grab if thirsty or in need of some blood sugar to keep you goin.

The bedroom was as clean as the last time and identically equipped. I slept like a log in the bed.

What I do enjoy about this RC is the flexibility. Firstly, the staff are friendly, accommodating and nothing is too much trouble. There is no 'snobbiness' attached to this Ritz Carlton, with which so many other 5 star hotels around the USA are plagued. It's pleasant, discreet and friendly service.

The building is at one end of a smallish u-shape - the middle of which is the conference center/wedding area and which has the spa in front, and the other end of the building is the Marriott Grande Lakes. What I like is to be able to go to the far busier Marriott side (which can be a bit frenetic and rushed), and grab a Starbucks coffee or granola-type breakfast or even nightly sushi, but then also have the oasis of the Ritz Carlton to come back to. There is a wonderful lounge 'bar' in the RC, but saying 'bar' really doesn't do it justice. It's a nice place to sit and watch the world go by, read a book (plenty of comfy sofas) and order some great food. I eat meat rarely (just don't have much interest), but I had a loaded burger and sweet potato fries two days in a row (which my family found completely unbelievable when I got home). It really was great food. Plus the waitress remembered my drinks and food order from the night before and anticipated what I might wish to have, which I liked.

I wandered down the Marriott Lazy River pool a couple of times but preferred the RC which is quieter as I was wanting quiet given that I wasn't with my own two little monsters! Walking lakefront outside between the two buildings, there are a number of options - including a lakefront strolling path, boating, giant chess board, boules courts (bocce), table tennis, shady places to sit, etc. Lots to do if you want (as an adult), let alone the children.

I spent a lot of time reading and there are plenty of quiet spots in which to do that.

The guests of the Marriott may not use the RC pool (but can use the spa pool for a fee), but the RC guests can use all the amenities/pools of the Marriott - which gives a great array of options.

In terms of parking - Orlando resort parking is always pricey - however the RC self parking rate is one of the cheaper ones, surprisingly. Plus - the valet parking lot is only about 5 feet closer than the regular lot. If you walk straight to the nearest set of doors from the lot (via a set of stairs or ramp) it will take you only a minute or so to get to your car. You don't need to walk a huge distance in order to reach the lobby - it is easier to get indoors in the air conditioning sooner and then use the interior to reach the lobby. Why make the Florida sun seem hotter than it already is?

All in all, as great a stay as last time. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Any lake view room is wonderful
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank mdbd1
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

From the moment you step in everything is perfect. The grounds, the service, the rooms. Great anniversary getaway with the kids. Wouldn't expect anything less from a ritz. The kids club is so much fun and the people there are wonderful. And I am a hovering parent. My daughter wanted to go despite my hesitation so I checked in on her every 15 mins. She loved it. We did go to the jwmarriot pool once. Not as great, very crowded and the service was nothing even close to the ritz. Special notice to Britney and Sally at kids club and vinnie the bell hop. Can't wait for our next stay.

3 Thank Pasalaw
Westchester County, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My family and I stayed here during the week of the 4th of July. We were very happy with our stay at the Ritz Carlton! Our room was on the 11th floor overlooking the lake and the wonderful fireworks display they put on, we were very impressed, what a show! Our room was well appointed with two double beds and a very large bathroom with double sinks, standup shower and soaking tub which everyone enjoyed. We traveled here with our children 6 & 8, the hotel was packed with activities all week long to keep them entertained, our children had the best time and we were not disappointed that we did not book a disney hotel. The Ritz offered transportation to and from Magic Kingdom and SeaWorld which we took advantage of. The pool area was nice with plenty of chairs, umbrellas and drink service. Meals- we had the breakfast buffet daily at Norman's, it was delicious! Dinner we ate at the lounge every night, we enjoyed the daily entertainment with the kids. We will definitely come back next year!

1 Thank Pinkyd27
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Every time we plan a trip with the kids we get caught up over-thinking everything. At the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes, they've already taken the thinking out of the equation and have made it so easy to have a wonderful time.
For starters, we were smart enough to bring a babysitter, though the Ritz can assist you with that. We reserved connecting rooms on the 9th floor with a pleasant view of the lake and golf course. Rooms were spotless, check-in was effortless. The bellman even assisted in locking off the minibar in the kids room as i know that would have been rifled through almost immediately.
The hotel itself is rather grand..with an enormous pool area...great restaurant off the pool (Bleu) as well. This is the first Ritz that i've seen that is not only kid-friendly but fairly opulent at the same time..and without being stuffy at all. Everyone is treated like they belong and are appreciated...and thats what ive come to expect there.
Room service was on time...plenty of movies On-demand for the kids. While we didnt use the Ritz Kids Club...we were made aware of all the activities and programs they had...perhaps next time.
Traveling to the parks was easy...Ritz does provide transportation or its 15-20 min by car...unleass your going to Sea World or Universal and then its much shorter.
I have stayed at this hotel probably 20x or more now...and i have never had a bad time there. I've eaten at Norman's which is quite good...and am awaiting the new restaurant that is supplanting the original one on the lower level.
As i live in Naples, it's a quck 2.5 hr drive to Orlando with no traffic. Its close enough so i dont need to fly but far enough away to feel like im in a different world. More and more restaurants are popping up nearby the Ritz too so the location which was once scorned i believe no longer has any stygma whatsoever. I will be back to this hotel many many times...i hope they continue to shine...i have little doubt in my mind.

Room Tip: anything with a lake view overlooking the pool and the signature 18th hole is quite nice. wifi is in...
3 Thank thomasg42