“Fantastic experience, will definitely go back”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #20 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
athens
“Fantastic experience, will definitely go back”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed there for three nights during July 2014. The hotel is really great, rooms are huge and very relaxing. Decor is classic luxury but not heavy or overwhelming There is a wonderful lobby lounge area with a bar that also serves great snacks and drinks. There is a huge swimming pool with great temperature for day and night swimming. We also had dinner at Norman's with great food and service. I would say the service was excellent everywhere, we were always greeted with a smile and everyone went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable from the parking area to the Expedia local experts who booked our theme park tickets. Coming from Europe, it is not often we get such professional and good service in hotels ;-) There is absolutely nothing I can say about this hotel - it was a real pleasure to stay there and we are centainly going to stay there again on our next visit!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here four four nights after checking out of a very disappointing villa ! It is a beautiful property which has been refurbished in the last few years. It is a tranquil haven away from the craziness of the theme parks. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The rooms are immaculate and the pool is a great place to relax. The service provided by the staff is very good and friendly. There was a great choice of food served at breakfast..... The omelettes made for you are especially good. I would defiantly recommend I staying here .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This one nighr stay was very nice from beginning to end. The staff always made youvfeel appreciated and welcome. Stay was for a trade show and even that was very smooth. Expensive food, but otherwise a great experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Bucks
Reviewed 15 August 2014

After staying for 4 years at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, we are definitely used to a very high level of luxury. We found that the Waldorf's service and attention to detail definitely declined year after year to the point of rudeness hence the reason for checking into the Ritz Carlton.

I'm so glad we did! The hotel is great but the staff are what makes the real difference. Everyone we came into contact with; check-in, valet, pool staff, concierge, house-keeping were delightful. A particular Gold Star should be awarded to Patricia and Carem from concierge who were both absolutely the nicest and most helpful girls.

Unfortunately our first room we were given allocated badly smelt of smoke (not good) so we were quickly reallocted without any fuss. Our room overlooked the pool and had a small balcony which was lovely to sit on late evening with a glass of wine and relax before bed.

My slight disappointments were the size of the double beds (they felt tiny for 2 adults) and the pillows were too mushy. Thank God I always travel with my own :)

You can use the pool at the Marriott next door which has a lazy river. Kids and adults both love it. In the Summer it doesn't close until 11pm so a midnight ride on an inflatable to cool off was magical.

The Resort Fee is $25 per day which seems fairly standard for that category of hotel but it least it covers things that I really value ie., free WIFI & 2 hours of free Kids-Club which both my girls loved. The staff and the range of activities at the Kids Club were exceptional.

Another small moan is if you choose to self-park ($19+tax) rather than use the valet, I think the price is still very high considering it's quite a walk away (especially in the soaring heat or pouring rain!)

We were very reluctant to leave the hotel on our last day so we were kindly allowed to check-out @ 1pm rather than 11am which meant we could really make good use of the morning.

Top Tip - We chose to eat off-site for breakfast and were recommended a great place called Keke's nearby which had breakfast to die-for.

Assuming the price is right, we will definitely re-book for next year and thoroughly look forward to another 5* stay.

Keep up the good work - to all the staff, you are doing a great job and making a real difference. Thank you! xx

Room Tip: The double beds are very small and bring your own pillow!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lissybubs
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I arrived at the hotel and took a ticket from the machine to park in self-parking. The lot was over-flowing with cars parked against the curbs and blocking the ends of aisles forcing me to back out of dead ends, There wasn't a single spot available. I was trapped in the lot as there were no parking spaces and to leave I had to pay $18 to the machine, as there was no attendant, either. There was no way I was paying $18 when I hadn't even been able to park!

I waited for 15 minutes for a spot to open before calling the hotel. The first call the phone rang 20 times and then disconnected. The second time someone answered after two rings. The women explained that they were aware of the situation and were on their way to open the gates to let people out so they could park in an alternate lot.

I waited another 12 minutes, no one came. I called back. The operator answered and then disconnected the call before I could get a single word in.

Finally almost 30 minutes after I had arrived, someone left and I was able to take their space. This caused me to be late to my conference.

I complained at the front desk and they said they would comp my parking (which doesn't get me out of hot water with my boss for being late--even though I had arrived 20 minutes before the start of the event).

When I went to leave, there was an attendant assisting at the machine who didn't want to believe me that I was supposed to have comped parking and gave me an attitude about it before finally letting me out with a sigh of disgust. This was after waiting almost 15 minutes for a long line of cars to try to process out of the lot.

This was unacceptable, and something one might expect from a cheap motel, certainly not a Ritz-Carlton. Very, very poor show, and 45 minutes wasted simply trying to park.

3 Thank lovescabs
jmcgavin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
I want to apologize for this unacceptable experience. I am so sorry that we inconvenienced you during your recent visit to the resort and there are no excuses for what happened. Thank you for sharing this experience and my team and I will work to ensure this never happens again. If you would have the the time I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly.
Warm Regards,
Jon McGavin
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here for a conference and I have to say the hotel, staff, facilities and food were all impeccable. Similar to other Ritz-Carlton hotels I have stayed at, the service was impeccable, I never had to wait for anything and no one pointed me to anything, they walked me where I needed to go.

The food was also fantastic in the on site restaurants.

The room was great, and it has a nice balcony that overlooked the grounds. The bathroom was extravagant, and while I am not a fan of marble flooring, it was beautiful.

My only complaint, and this not enough of a complaint for it to lose a star, was that it felt isolated from the rest of Orlando. Getting anywhere I wanted to go was at least a 10 minute drive. Of course, for many the isolation may be what they want.

1 Thank Allan L
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I wonder if management has been reading the reviews on TripAdvisor because the staff practically fell all over themselves in efforts to be cheerful and helpful. Either way, I appreciated it. The only too-enthusiastic aspect is the evening turndown service. Prepare for the repeated knocks, keycarding, and chirpy "turndown service!" up and down the hallways from around 7-8pm. I was working in my room and surprised by a maid opening the door. The acoustics made it sound like she was knocking at the next door.

Other little things of which to be aware: the TV did not work at first, but with my A/V experience I got it functioning. If you have allergies, the cloying scent of flowers in the lobby is especially overwhelming. The hotel does not use cab service to the airport (cabs are deemed unreliable) so car service is about $50.

More goodstuff: the lounge fare is decent and decently-priced for a resort scene. There were things that I, with all my food allergies, could eat and enjoy. All the expected amenities are there and whatever isn't, is at the JW, which is connected to the Ritz. The reigning opinion is the JW is geared toward business while the Ritz is all about vacation. Agreed. There were wine glasses out while the coffeemaker was hidden in a wicker basket. I found myself hunting for outlets in the lamps for charging the various and hungry business electronics I had toted with me.

Of course the view was sweet and when all was said and done, I loved sitting out on the balcony in the evening, listening to the thunder and watching the lightning. 15th floor rooms have telescopes. If it's business, book at the JW if possible (I had been assigned to the Ritz by the conference hosts); it it's pleasure, then the Ritz will do nicely.

Green Features: The "we're being green" cards were carefully placed around the room and bathroom so one can hope...