“The perfect honeymoon spot!”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #25 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes resort for our honeymoon. We are pretty picky of our hotels and services as my wife is a manager of a 4 diamond hotel herself. We booked under a couple different hotel packages over the phone - highly recommended since most packages include breakfast and cover your valet expense - for many packages, they more than pay for themselves in value. Service at the pool was great - they brought us complimentary chocolate covered strawberries when our pool attendant found out it was our honeymoon! They upgraded us to a high floor pool side view - which also doubles as a FIREWORKS view at night for Sea World (about 2 miles away) and Disney in the distance. Breakfast at the viniard grill lives up to the Ritz standard - the food is great! TIP: if you get the buffet, you can still have make-to-order waffles and eggs benidict brought to the table, which we took advantage of. Pool reviews: the RItz pool is resort style pampering at it's very best. We went to the JW Marriot pool one day and it was fun as well - they have a lazy river style pool that was very playful - you can buy inner-tubes for about $7 or $8 each. Our favorite of all the pools was the spa pool - it was our own private secluded paradise. You need to have a spa package or spa appointment to use this pool. We stayed most of the day at the spa pool and we shared the pool with 2 other couples at any given time max. The lobby bar seemed to be taken over regularly by visiting conferences. Everyone treated us like a king and queen - which we are so greatful for. We can't wait to visit the Ritz Grande Lakes resort again in the future - hope we can get away for a 1, 5, or 10 year anniversary! And regardless of where you plan to stay, if you're planning on honeymooning in Orlando - only plan on going to Disney or another park for 1 day - believe me, 1 day in lines is more than enough! We couldn't even stay for fireworks at night because our feet were so tired - thankfully, we got to watch fireworks from a distance each night from our balcony!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank honeymooners7-11-09

Reviewed 7 July 2009

Stayed at this property twice in last 6 months at business conference. The usual fabulous Ritz service which never lets you down. The property is beautiful and maintained down to the last blade of grass. All rooms are quite spacious and have balconies; request a pool view w/private balcony (walls on both sides) if privacy is important. Otherwise the balconies all lined up in a row. All food at venues were consistently wonderful. Beautiful spa; not a golfer but the course looked lovely. Would enjoy staying there again. It is very isolated; if you don't have a car it will be expensive to taxi around to other locations. Did not go next door to the Marriott (its sister hotel) but heard good things about it also.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2009

This hotel is wonderful in every way! From the moment you enter the lobby you feel like you are in paradise because it is so beautiful and you are treated in such a warm and special way. Our room was incredible in every way. It was beautifully decorated and very comfortable at the same time. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom was the most beautiful I have seen in any hotel. Since the hotel is only six years old everything is state of the art and sparkling. The housekeeping service was outstanding and the room was in beautiful, perfect condition. We loved our room and did not want to leave! The restaurants were all very good, especially Norman's. We ate at Norman's a few times and it was outstanding in every way. The food was so excellent we ordered the same dishes each time and the service was perfectly divine. Even though it is pricey, It is well worth it and an experience to remember. I wish that Norman's was in my hometown because it would become my favorite place to go. Fantastic! The pool was incredibly beautiful and also fun for my 10 year old. The service at the pool was excellent. The landscaping and the butterfly garden were lovely. My husband enjoyed the golf. This hotel has thought of everything and it is a wonderful place for families!

I had never been to Orlando before so I spent many hours on Tripadvisor researching hotels. Although we were there for a conference, I chose not to stay at the conference Disney property because I needed a relaxing, enjoyable vacation for me too! I did not think I could find this in Orlando, but this hotel made my vacation great! I really did relax and felt pampered even though we were busy with amusements some of the days.
This hotel lives up to it's great reviews and more so! The management is doing and excellent job and I don't believe that I can top this hotel experience anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We decided to splurge on the club level since we were having a special birthday celebration. We feel that it was worth every penny and we would recommend spending the extra if you are celebrating a special occasion. The club level rooms are not any larger than the regular rooms. The club level is on the 14th floor and the views from the lounge are beautiful. The staff in the lounge is very accommodating. The food is great. Breakfast consists of eggs, oatmeal, cheeses, bagels, pastries etc.. Plenty of food for a hearty breakfast. You can help yourself to coffee, tea and they have a great espresso, cappuccino machine. Lunch is served from 12-2. The wine and champagne comes out around noon and you can have as much as you want. They also serve beer and mixed drinks which the staff will bring to your table. Lunch is great sandwiches and salads. Light offerings are served from 5-8 and dessert from 8-10 with cordials. If you choose to, you can sit in this lounge all day and night and just eat and drink. You feel relaxed and pampered. We only had one complaint about this lounge. One night hotel guests brought in friends of theirs who were staying at the JW Marriott which is right next door. They were a very large party with many young children. The kids were out of control and very noisy. We couldn't even check our email. They were spread out all over the floor playing games etc... We left because we couldn't take it. It seems that anything goes at this place because the staff doesn't want to offend any of the guests. Well what about the guests who don't have unruly kids who are bothering others? The pool is gorgeous and it wasn't crowded at all. The guests from the JW are allowed to use this pool. Don't let anyone at the pool hog the blue floats that are free and can be used by all guests at the Ritz. People who are sitting by the pool try and take the floats and put them by their chairs even when they are not in use. I had 2 old biddies from the JW cop an attitude when I took one so that I could use it. I don't agree with their policy of allowing the JW people the use the Ritz pool but the properties are adjoining. The staff at the pool sets you up with chaise lounges with nice towels and an umbrella if you wish. They have cabanas for rent. 200 for the day, 100 for half a day. The cabana is very nice if you want to splurge. They have a fridge, a safe and a tv. We got one for the day and had a nice time. Our only complaint was that we thought the staff could have been more attentive and took things away like wet towels and garbage. A waiter came by a few times to ask if we needed anything from the bar but that was about all of the service we received. I would recommend the spa to anyone. It is huge and beautiful. I had the best massage that I ever had at this hotel. I would recommend the 80 minute signature massage. 50 minutes just isn't enough and 80 minutes is so much better. I was lucky enough to have Rick V. as my masseuse. He was very professional and wonderful. I felt like a million bucks after my massage. I would recommend him to anyone. You can call and request Rick if you would like to. Originally I had called and requested a woman. After meeting Rick, he put me at total ease and he didn't disappoint me. I would go back to this spa just to have a massage with Rick. The spa has their own private pool and you can have lunch there if you wish. Your partner can also get a spa day pass for 20 dollars if they just want to use the pool with you for the day. Overall we were very happy with this resort and would recommend it to anyone and would return.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank napagirl2
Reviewed 26 June 2009

The property itself is beautiful. Wonderful grounds, great walking trail. Landscaping is fantastic.

I didn't use the Ritz pool. I used the JW Marriott next door (which you can for free). They have a lazy river at the JW Marriott, and the entire pool area at the Marriott is way bigger and nicer....especially is you have kids.

The room is smallish but nicely furnished. Very clean. Large wonderful bathroom.

Service was mostly good. The valet service is very slow. They did a really poor job for a 5 star resort.

Free ice cream hunt for the kids. Nice touch

Fitness center was very nice. Great equipment, and large assortment.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jimglobe
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Before I book anywhere I have started reading all the reviews for lodging and I have found more frequently than not that the most experienced travelers are the ones who know what to complain about in relation to the expectations set forth by star ratings and such. I have to say I agree with most of the positive ratings but also agree w/many of the negatives. First, the property is just phenomenally beautiful. The landscaping and decor, design, flow and function of the place are superb. It is immaculately kept. If I were reviewing just these factors, it would be TEN stars. It is both luxurious and friendly, romantic and suitable for families (who know how to behave, that is...). I stayed in a deluxe room with two small children (ages 4 and 6) and found it to be very comfortable for the three of us, and one night we had local guests and slept five with a rollaway squeezed in, had in-room dining twice, and we made it work. The room is very well equipped for a business traveler and is less comfy for children- no DVD player, lots of hook ups for business equipment., teeny fridge packed to the gills with the Ritz' "entertainment items" (read $8 water, etc) and I was barely able to squeeze in a few things I picked up for my diet-sensitive family. Big closet, generous hangers and valets. Not enough drawers for all of us. The room was mainly prepared as I'd asked. My son is sensitive to down and I'd asked for it to be removed entirely from one bed, and it was, but they had 4 foam pillows on one bed and only two down on the other bed. Kind of odd. We all got luscious robes (ask for robes in your children's sizes and don't forget the slippers) but for some reason my housekeeper (who was NOT tipped, read on there...) refused to leave me slippers all five days we were there.
As others noted the bathrooms are HUGE for hotel baths in any case. Elegant and well appointed.

We did not eat at the Grill or Norman's. We ate outdoors mainly at Bleu (food, great. Service, sketchy... the first time I ate there after I had to get my own adult menus. the waiter asked how we were and I responded I'd be better if I did not have to get my own menus... hmmmm... then it took ten minutes to get the kids' menu... which BTW is the same throughout the resort. Just memorize it day one and you'll have an easier time of it).
Bleu is only open mid-morning to 4:30 and I don't suggest trying it too close to closing time. Quench next door at the JW is a fine alternative... food is not as good but I found the staff. and bar staff to be friendlier and more service-oriented. I could care less how polite you are so long as I get my food, as ordered, and provide me with prompt and efficient service. Omne not so great experience was followed with one that was just great so I'd call it hit or miss.

Complaints about pool service are warranted. There was generally one person on staff for the entire pool... for towels, chair set up, refreshments, spontaneous fun stuff they include for kids/families like S'mores at the firepit near the pool, etc... so Glen who we saw most (and was GREAT!) had to tapdance quite a bit and I heard people grumbling about him, but he is only one person spread thin. The pool itself and seating, great. Towels soft and warm if you don't mind getting them yourself. The lazy river next door was great and while the floaties are overpriced for us it was worth the $14 to have them pre-blown up and my kids loved that we wrote all over them and we brought them home with us. The pool at the Ritz is not deep and just fine for the kids. They have nice adult size foam floats, big fountain spray was fun for them.

We booked on the kids-free program and it was well worth it. In fact we paid less overall. including food here at the Ritz than we did for Concierge-level service at a luxury Disney resort and I think the kids liked it just as much.

Now other service... the valets do a poor job of handling busy times and provide complete service. For the daily cost plus tips (still worth it if you will be in and out a lot, otherwise park with "the peasants" as a guest said...) I timed it so that I wasn't in or out at peak times, mostly, but that should not matter in a five star, ever. The bell staff mainly held the main central doors open. I did not find them particularly helpful other than taking bags to/from the room. Unlike others I did not find it took too long to get the car but I made a point of calling down for it ten minutes in advance.

I did have a maintenance issues that went unresolved that was quite annoying. The bathroom (lovely. well equipped. gross mouthwash tastes like the shower gel which does smell great... but lay off if you have sensitive skin as it is drying as other reviewers noted) water pressure is awesome and the showerhead feels like acupuncture, in a good way. However- that same pressure made the toilet that has (I say has., sure it still does) a slow leak the NOISIEST toilet in the UNIVERSE. No kidding, the re-fill on it woke me up at night with the AutoMystery Flushing. It would slowly leak just enough to flush itself and refill. I could not hear the leaking. I COULD hear the toilet refilling.Not just a little. I mean it sounded like a water cannon blasting the porcelain top tank. It was so bad my last night there I went to the bar and had two drinks (I am a lightweight) in the hope of sleeping all night and even over my snoring, it woke me. I called maintenance too many times for this issue which could have been easily resolved and was not, ever. It's a toilet, not rocket science.

I did share another negative experience that others ran in to with billing. I was supposed to present a voucher everywhere for the kids eat free program. That in and of itself is a silly annoyance. It is one child per paying adult so I should have been paying for one of my two children's meals. Every time for the first three days I had an issue. I heard "we'll fix that for you" frequently. We got in-room service a LOT and every time I'd have to call for a correction which did not happen. It was resolved to my benefit however in response to my other issues, and all the children's meals were taken off the bill.

Lastly I had an issue with housekeeping. No- a few issues. As other posters reported, sometimes you get turn down. Sometimes you don't. There was a glass in my bathroom that had a black icky thing in the bottom of it, so I put it at the edge of the counter to see if it would be washed the next day. It was not. Same thing the next day. And the next day. And the next day. The first day the coffee bar was not completely refreshed and since I'm a caffeine head, this was an issue. The maid took a soaked floor mat (still a mystery how it got that way...) and moved it instead of replacing it with a fresh one. The maids at Disney were more thorough and thoughtful.

It was not all bad by any means and in general we enjoyed many things about the property. Rent one of the Italian bikes and drive around the properties! There are bunnies everywhere that are not afraid and my kids loved that. Try to time it so there are no weddings to interrupt... and a lovely place for a weddind it is. Inm fact I'd say it's a better business property than anything else. Many locals visit the restaurants and the lobby bar which is very nice.The chef's garden and butterfly garden were delightful for my children. The children's play area was safe and fun for them. You will not be served food there from the outdoor grill but you CAN get room service there. Go figure.

Gratuities are included. Good if the service warrants it and I'd say it's up to you to be sure that you get your money's worth there. I found the meals there no pricier than at the Marriott and the Angus burgers were excellent. Breakfast was ok. Pastries - the danishes good, everything else just ok. Skip the bagels. The tomato basil flatbread at Bleu was huge and could feed two

In all the annoyances were **not** a deal-killer, but they do not at all equate to 5-star service. 5-star property with maybe 3.5 service at best. I am planning on going back twice this year because it is STILL better than what else you'll find out there no matter the cost.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank higpaws12
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Stayed here for just one night with my wife and daughter. This was at the start of our holiday. I let the hotel know when booking that it would be my birthday. On arrival we got upgraded to a suite with a pool view. Great attention to detail. Every member of staff we interacted with was helpful and seemed happy in their role. The room, although in need of a little updating - being really picky here! - was exceedingly comfortable. The pool and surroundings again were great. The only slight niggle I had was the cost of the meal we had in the Vineyard Grill, it did not deliver the quality expected. Lunch and breakfast were very good. We would stay at the Ritz again in Orlando without doubt.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family