“Everything is Perfect at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes”

The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #19 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Albany, NY
“Everything is Perfect at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

I stayed at the Ritz Carleton Grande Lakes for 4 nights in early October while attending a conference held in the adjacent JW Marriott Grande Lakes. Having never stayed at a luxury property like this before I was not sure what to expect.

From the moment I checked in everything was perfect. I was handed an icy bottle of water to sip while they checked me in. The bellman who took my bags up pointed out where I could get coffee each day, as well as gave me directions to the location of my conference, he also offered to get me ice and adjust the thermostat for me. The Concierge was helpful on more than one occassion-arranging transportation and helping me locate a FedEx (in the JW Marriott FYI).

I did not eat any meals in the Ritz itself nor did I make use of the pool or spa. The JW is the sister hotel and they are connected by a walk-way. I ate and shopped there more because it was where I was spending my days no other reason though. The Ritz is a bit quieter than the JW but both are lovely and full of helpful staff.

The housekeeping service was amazing. My room was always cleaned and completey restocked with toiletries each day. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was large with a separate tub from the shower stall. It was beautful too which was a plus, and filled with extras like q-tips, shoe shine kits and makeup remover pads.

Every room has a balcony but try for a higher floor if you can swing it for the best view.

In the JW there are a number of quick service food options like Starbucks and a gourmet sandwich shop. You can charge to your room regardless of if you are staying in the JW or Ritz side which is convenient.

The only 2 minuses I have are wireless internet was not free. For what these rooms cost that is a shame. I stay at budget properties that don't charge for wireless...Also the hotels are not in walking distance to anything. You can go for a walk on their grounds but if you want to go for a walk to a shop or something you can't -it is on a major road that is not pedestrian friendly and public transit is non-existant in this location. With a car you are fine though and the hotel offers car service as well. I believe you are about 10-15 min from Universal and about 20-25 min from Disney.

If you can afford the Ritz I highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank sdsansky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bray, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

We totally enjoyed our recent stay here.We were on the club floor (14th iirc) with a large room and terrace overlooking the lake.Our check in experience was effecient and very friendly with just enough chatter to know that the agent was taking an interest in us but not overbearing in a way that would seem false.
In fact everyone working at the hotel seemed to know how to do homely here.
The hotel is styled like a typical large ritz carlton but with service that was more than capable of coping with being busy.
For instance there was a lot of convention activity at the hotel and you wouldn't even notice as people were being looked after and service was prompt at all the facilities.
We found the bar and lounge area to have that typically RC comfy feel about it with fine chairs and sofa's.
Normans restaurant here is an absolute MUST.It's not managed by the hotel but seamlessly fits into it and boy it is an asset.
We ate there twice meaning we didn't mind the expense, the food and wine was so good! If you are European..think Michelin star's and you get the idea.
We also ate at the other restaurant in the hotel and while more casual it was another good cheaper option.
While I'm here I'd like to say having access to the club lounge here is well worth it.
They have a good display of snack bites throughout the day to which some preparation is given.They also do a nice continental breakfast there but we had a full American included so ate at the hotels main restaurant in the morning-nice coffee and a totally tasty buffet with a chefs special each day that was mouth watering.
I like a breakfast area that has an omlette station too and this one was very good!
The club lounge here is a nice escape to read a paper or to check emails as theres a complimentary pc and printer.
It also has a media room where you can close the door and watch a dvd with some friends with surround sound!
We found the terrace there very relaxing in the evening sun aswell to sit out overlooking the golf course whilst sipping some wine.
In short this hotel is on my list for a definite return and to be honest I will run out of characters because there are too many good things to say about it.
Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

My hotel experience here was top-knotch. I checked in and discovered that I had somehow been upgraded to a fantastic suite. My room was stunning and so clean. I had two balconies overlooking the lake, a spacious bed and living room, a marble floored bathroom with a wonderful tub. The service, as usual, is exquisite at the Ritz and this was no exception. There are some good rates at the moment so splurge and enjoy yourself. This hotel shares grounds, pool, and a conference center with the JW Mariott (which I have also stayed in). I can't think of a more romantic and fun resort. I would love a change to return!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel for1 week in early September and were so impressed with every part of the hotel and its staff!
We had a room on the 8th floor overlooking the beautiful grounds of the hotel and because it was Labor weekend we were treated to a superb fireworks show on our second night courtesy of the Ritz Carlton. What a start to our holiday!

The rooms themselves were lovely, especially the bathrooms are of a very high standard. They were always kept to an exceptional level of cleanliness and we cant praise the maid staff enough.

We did not eat a any of the restaurants on site but did have room service one night and the quality of the food was superb therefore if this anything to go by then i wouldnt hesitate recommending that guests try the restaurants.

We had no problem with checking out and our bill was correct - the only minor gripe would be the valet parking costs but a small price to pay for a top quality hotel!

We have previously stayed at 2 other hotels in Orlando but if we return in the future the Ritz Carlton will be the place we stay!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rclaire_cullen
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

What can I say.The grounds are beautiful. The service is excellent, The rooms are perfect. The childrens' activities are amazing. You might pay a little more, but remember you get what you pay for. The only minor flaw was that the valet seemed to be pre occupied and not in a hurry to help out. Well worth the money.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank livingthegoodliezzz
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

My wife and I took a quick weekend getaway trip without the kids to the Ritz in Orlando. We had a phenomenal experience all around. The staff was very professional and everyone went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable.

Room was great. Spacious bathroom with separate tub, shower and w/c separate from double vanity. private balcony was small (perfectly adequate with chairs & table for 2 people) had a great view of pool, golf course and lakes.

We had a couple massage at the spa. It was very enjoyable and the facilities are wonderful. Only complaint is that it was pretty busy but that's what we get for a holiday weekend. We retreated to the spa pool and were able to get some quiet even though it was full.

Dinners -
The Vineyard Grill ground floor of the Ritz. I had a great filet, my wife the rainbow trout special which was excellent as well. Diverse menu, great service.

Normans first floor of the RItz. More upscale than Vineyard Grill. This one is open for dinner only and has a business casual dress code. Dubbed "Floribbean" there are daily changes and a lot of Latin American influences and varying flavors in each dish. Everything we ordered was fantastic. Also not that it was cheap, but I was expecting to pay more for "fine dining" and was pleasantly surprised. I've paid more for less at Morton's, Ruth's Chris and others.

We had room service twice and were thoroughly impressed both times. Food was excellent compared to most other places I've been and the service was great! Bill (the head of in room dining department) genuinely wants to make sure everyone is well taken care of.

There were a number of families and all the kids seemed to be having a good time too. It was Labor Day weekend and the staff had activities planned at the pool and in the kids area. We hadn't considered it before, but will certainly have this hotel on the list for our next trip with the children.

Only negatives or insight - if you're looking for a child free trip you might want to go to the pool at the spa which is adults only. Also, poolside drinks & food are pricey but what you'd expect at a Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank renicksc
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

This is a lovely hotel , but I travelled with my 2 small children and we got put in a small room for four of us on the 9th floor , the balcony was really dangerous which surprise me , the balconies are low and they have a small table and chairs which is placed at the edge of the balcony after 2 minutes in the room my 4 year old had climbed up on the table and was leaning over the edge of the balcony and could very easily have fallen had we not grabbed her , I refused to stay in this room and we got moved to the 1st floor., as we had only been given one room for 4 of us as part of our package we asked how much it would be to up grade to a suite or how much it would be for a joining room . we were offered a rate of $199 per night for a joining room we were staying for 14 nights so my husband asked if we could get a discount the manager refused to budge on the price which we thought was a bit mean but we decided to pay it , my husband then
heard the manager giving a rate of $189 to another customer , having NOW read previous reviews and seeing that many people got FREE up grades to suites its even more puzzling as to why the manager refused us even a discount we were paying for 2 rooms for 2 weeks.
My other problem with the hotel was extra charges we booked this hotel because it had a kids club but we didn't know they would charge for it ,it was about $10 per hour per child plus they then charged for material for arts and crafts like paints and canvas's: all in all too expensive. I have never been charged for kids club before but maybe they are just free in Europe I am not sure.
We ate in the hotel every night which was expensive but easy as we were at theme parks most days and there are not restaurants with in walking distance we thought the food got a bit boring.
We ended up having a hefty bill at the end of our 2 week stay the final insult was to be charged $21 a day for parking our car , I can understand this if its a city hotel and space is limited but as it isn't this seemed unjustified. We would not have been surprised to see a charge for the view!
We stayed at Disney in Febuary and when we come back to Orlando again will stay there. This is a good hotel for couples but not for young kids especially the problem with balconies.
We can't fault the cleanliness of the hotel and the courtesy of the staff , some of them really went out their way to look after us particularly the pool staff and house keeping , We feel the manager treated us unprofessionally and made us feel unwelcome and under valued. I also feel this hotel is too expensive for most families particularly during recession.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family