The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Collierville, Tennessee
“Heaven”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes in Orlando. This is a great place for the women to get pampered, the men play golf, and the kids have things to do as well. Not many hotels are kid friendly, but this hotel serves kids from food, games, entertainment and bedrooms. We vacation at the Ritz every year since they opened in 2004. I personally love the architecture, which consists of marble, arches and columns. This is my small vision of heaven. I go on vacations and stay in the hotel most of the time, so I have to be satisfied with the hotel 100% or I will never go return.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bsingw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Orange City, Florida
Reviewed 20 January 2011

had a great welcoming after that forget it!!! no more service after that, got drinks at the bar sat outside we were outside for an hour no one came back to check on us or see if we wanted more drinks. the walls in the rooms are paper thin which is surprising for a luxury hotel. at dinner my husband dropped his fork waiter didn't offer to replace it and just left it on the floor. the pool was overflowing and the water was pooling up behind the lounge chairs (it was still the same way on sunday when i left). when leaving the hotel the bellmen out front were standing around talking i had to open my own door with my arms full of luggage. on top of all that i wrote to management and coporate to let them know what happened and no response. they definitely don't live up to the brand promise they lead everyone to believe.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank tyedyelvr
Ystalyfera, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We came here twice before a few years ago and really enjoyed the stay. Unfortunately I can't say the same about this trip. Unless you enjoy a lounge full of pot bellied Budweiser drinking conventioneers taking over the hotel, I would stay away - at least during these months. Discreetly speaking to the front desk just produced a shrug and advice to call ahead next time. Waitress at the lounge affirmed that Jan to July is crazy and overrun with the conventioneers. If you want a relaxing and quiet getaway this is not the place. Better to head over to the local Irish pub.

Definitely not worthy of five star rating. Management seems only interested in filling the rooms anyway they can.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cuteworldtraveler
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 16 January 2011

This is by fay the best hotel in Orlando!

I don't know were to begin. the doormen, bellmen, maid service, front desk. Everybody was great and very attentive.

Highly recommend!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann-70
uk
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Stayed here for our 2nd week over New Year expecting it to be like UK Ritz - sorely disappointed. Arrived to find not given lake view room to see fireworks on New Years Eve despite travel agent phoning them direct to secure it 8 months earlier when we booked. Reluctant to sort it until we called manager and told him he must do something - finally assigned room for us and room for our teenage sons but on arrival in their room they had double bed! So back to reception and 1 hour later with porter as confused as we were we got semi-desired rooms. When we arrived a young man in scruffy attire asked us if we wanted a drink of hot chocolate (don't have it - far too sweet) and we wondered who on earth he was - apparently he was the doorman yet he hadn't opened any doors for us and was not dressed as you would expect. Service was bad in this hotel but particularly bad was the breakfast which they tried to charge separately for when we had inclusive package and another daily argument needed to sort that out. The breakfast was in Vineyard restaurant and it was chaotic to put it mildly with people queueing for ages before being assigned a table. After a half hour wait we were shown to a half-laid table with only 3 chairs! The food was average to poor with every pastry soaked in cinnamon (fine if you like it but I don't). Fruit selection very poor and cheeses cut into lumps! The waiters were being moaned at all round by guests - the manager when we finally called him to our table after other people's kids were running around us as a game, was weak and disorganised and failed to direct his useless staff. The place was totally undisciplined. This breakfast chaos continued throughout the week with the staff hanging around in groups not doing things that needed to be done and simply trouble shooting the table who complained loudest. It was an absolute farce and we have had far more organised meals at the travelodge inn than here! The worse thing was it didn't improve at all over 7 days and there was nowhere else we could have gone. We had to keep checking our bill on the tv screen as they kept wrongly charging for breakfast and for their wretched car valeting (parking) fees which had to be removed constantly from our bill because we argued we shouldn't pay $26 a day for this when we would have liked to have parked our car ourselves but couldn't. The bar area was relatively small and the food the same as room service with no other choice. The weather was cold for December/Jan and the outside pools were freezing, yet shouldn't have been and not a sole went in them for the entire duration. There was NO INDOOR POOL despite our travel agent confirming there would be one and the SPA facilities were shoddy and were extra and would have cost us £100 per day for the 4 of us if we had wanted to use the smallest steam sauna room (located in the changing room)! So we did not have a swim or spa all week. There was nothing to do for the teenagers. Other people's badly behaved American kids ran around everywhere and there was a kids club for up to age 12. The New years eve ball was for over 21's only and no alchohol to under 21's anywhere in hotel. So our lot were understandably bored and fed up. The whole reception area stunk of cinnamon for the duration due to a tacky and poorly built iced full sized santa grotto taking up 3 square metres in reception. Room service was expensive with tips on top of extortionate service charges.
We couldn't believe what we were experiencing and to think of the money we paid for this - using the name Ritz is highly misleading for us Europeans and they shouldn't be allowed to abuse it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank truthtime1
Washington State
Reviewed 7 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on the first night of our 25th anniversary trip. I had pre-arranged a special romance package, and everything was perfect! Our champagne and strawberries were waiting in our beautiful lake-view room, and our rose petal turndown came while we were at dinner in the Vineyard Grille. Check-in and check-out were easy and efficient, and – thanks to the email I received from the concierge weeks earlier – so was arriving from the airport. Our room was clean, well-appointed (including a flat-screen TV), and lovely. We relaxed in the lobby lounge, beautifully decorated for the holidays, and enjoyed fabulous service both there and in the Grille. Toiletries were average (I prefer the Crabtree & Evelyn offered by a competing brand hotel), but the luxuriousness of the towels made up for it. I only wish it had been warm enough to really enjoy our balcony! Our only complaint is that the Grille was FREEZING both times we ate there. Apparently a threshold was broken and it had simply been taped closed. Having to wear our coats made our dining experience a bit less pleasant, but the food was excellent (if pricy). Overall, it was a quiet, relaxing, wonderful stay and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bettibiz
Reviewed 4 January 2011

One day I returned to my room to use The bathroom and The housekeeping lady was cleaning The bathroom I asked her If I can used The bathroom and when I enter I can't believe what I saw. One of The sink was full of water with The glasses and glass Wine inside The water. This is not The best way to clean The glasses. Is discusting!

• Stayed December 2010