“Front Desk Attitude Negated All Positive Aspects”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-Nearest to Univ Studios
Ranked #60 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 14 January 2008

We chose this hotel because of previous stay (Jan 2007) which was excellent in every way so we looked forward to a repeat performance this time however one member of staff ensured that it was not to be.

I booked a non smoking king size room, specifically chosen to meet our requirements. There were other (some cheaper) options available at the time however this was our specific choice.

On arrival at check in I was immediately informed by Maddy that I wouldn't be getting what I had asked for (her precise words). When I questioned the reason for this the response was that people don't always get what they ask for and nothing is guaranteed- Homewood only offer requests no guarantees at all. The best I could be offered was a queen size room and it might have to be a smoking room. Needless to say I pointed out that not only was this totally unacceptable but I had paid for a specific room and that was what I expected. I asked why these rooms were available to book if they didn't exist and why upon checking my reservation confirmation online some 4 days earlier did it state that I had a smoking king size room. Maddy's response to this was that things often have to be changed depending on what is a priority and that sometimes someone has to be unlucky.

To keep a very long story short we had to take the room as we were told we would be billed if we cancelled the reservation. The "manager" wasn't available at any time during the 4 days we were there but I'm in no way finished with Hilton on this case yet.

There are a number of positives for this hotel however I'm not going to mention them because they were completely negated by the aggressive, obnoxious individual whom I encountered at the front desk. Book these Homewood Suites at your own risk - - you may find yourself being told to sleep in a bathtub - after all as Maddy says remember nothing is guaranteed, only requested!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
11  Thank Gill68

Reviewed 8 January 2008

Great location for Universal Studios and Wet & Wild. They mention a shuttle to Universal, but it only runs a few times a day. We were told it was about a 20 minute walk, but we drove anyway. Wet & Wild is right across (busy) street.

The rooms are great. One bedroom (2 double beds), TV and enough room to walk around comfortably. Toilet/tub separate from sink and mirror, so easy for group to get ready at same time. Separate room with desk, TV, recliner and sofabed - attached to nice kitchen. Full sized refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, sink with disposer, table and 4 chairs, 4 sets of dishes, a few pans, etc. This was VERY comfortable for the 5 of us.

Staff was helpful and cheerful.

Pool was outdoor and not heated (during a cold snap - we didn't use it).

Breakfast was the best I've ever seen at a complimentary breakfast hotel - eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, donuts, rolls, bagels, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and 3 kinds of juice. We weren't back to the hotel in time to take part in any of the evening activities or food offerings.

I will definitely keep this place in mind for our next trip to Orlando.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank MAP12
Reviewed 1 January 2008

We booked this hotel based on all the excellent reviews and we were not disappointed. The hotel is a bit hard to find due to a couple of reasons. There is very poor road signs and it's not on a main road . This can actually work to your advantage if you do not like the traffic.
Our check in and check out were flawless. The hotel staff were all very pleasant. Our room (King Suite) was enormous and very clean. The kitchen in the room had everything you could require and came with a full size refrigerator. The bathroom was massive with twin sinks.
The breakfast was your standard "buffet" food....nothing special, but it was free.
We used the free internet in the lobby several times and it was very convenient. They also have a gym and games room, plus an outdoor pool which we did not use.
The hotel is literally 3 minutes by car to the gates of Universal studios. You could probably walk there in 10 minutes.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wolfden
Reviewed 29 December 2007

Stayed here from 9th to 19th December with my husband and 7 year old son. Were here for 5 nights last December also. As before we found the rooms were great. Loads of room and the most comfortable beds you could ask for. The breakfast was great and we made the Managers reception a few times and the food was more than enough to save you having to go out for dinner after a busy day at the parks. All the staff were great. Only downside is that is a bit of a journey to Disney. Our holiday was 3 weeks in total and because we loved it here so much last year we decided to stay here for the first part of our trip whilst we hit the parks. Great for Universal but you definitely have to have a car for Disney. Saying that, you soon forgot about the drive once you were back in your nice room. My son swam every day except one when the temp dropped to 60 degrees. The second part of our trip was at Disney Saratoga Springs where we spent 8 nights. Also given that 5 stars but then we did pay more than double. Homewood cost us $104 a night booking direct with Hilton. Was also able to get one night free using points. All in all a great stay, just wish they were located at Lake Beuna Vista instead.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Portugal100
Reviewed 28 December 2007

Great Hotel~ it is not frilly, but you get a great value for the money!

They offered all guests a complimentary full breakfast's each and every morning! Besides that, each evening Monday -Thursday, they offered a main course dinner with salad, including free beverages for 2 hours! What a wonderful perk! We all were full after each meal. We spent no money on food at all Monday-Thursday because of this added benefit!

The pool was large, but outside, so if the weather wasn't cooperative and warm enough to swim, you wouldn't use it! Same for the hot tub. The hot tub, is a 6-8 person model.

I would definately go back and stay there!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank belle3
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I stayed here twice whilst visiting Florida and found it to be the perfect hotel for my needs. On my first visit I had no car and was worried how I would get around, but I found the location meant it was easy to get around. At the bottom of the road (5 mins walk max) is the i-trolley stop to take you up and down international drive. There is also a Lynx bus stop right outside whcih I used to visit the Florida Mall and even to get to the airport ($1.50 is so much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle).
The rooms were great, having a kitchen and sitting room was excellent. It just meant a bit of extra room and also no fighting over the TV channel. The beds were comfy and the general decor was fine.
The breakfast was ok, nothing grand but then neither was the price of the hotel! There are waffles, toast, bagels, cereals etc and also some hot food such as eggs bacon, sausage. The evening snack Mon-Thurs was most welcome after a busy day. It was again nothing grand but was just right after a long flight.
I thought the hotel was good value for money, the only reason that I haven't given it 5 out of 5 is that on the first stay when I came to check out my bill was wrong. The receptionist was very helpful and amended it immediately, but these kind of mistakes shouldn't happen. On the second visit our room was not cleaned one day and we had to phone reception to get some clean towels etc again this should be routine.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank manxcat6
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Stayed here early Nov and have no serious complaints. Great rooms, helpful staff, good breakfast included.
Only negative issues were some staining on the room furniture and the lack of a bar though you can use the tiki bar outside the hotel opposite (if weather allows). Pool is quite small but quiet whilst we were there so no problem.
Hilton are currently expanding this hotel so expect building work for some time.
Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple