“Great location for the theme parks”

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
Ranked #202 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Great location for the theme parks”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Our Villa was huge, well equipped and spotlessly clean. We had one vertical blind which was broken and this was fixe within 30 minutes of reporting it. Staff in the resort were helpful and very knowledgeable.
Fantastic location for the theme parks and they run a free shuttle too if you want to use that. Smokehouse Grill which is located at the resort gates is a great restaurant, good service and reasonable prices. But beware the portions are enormous!!
Definitely would recommend this for an Orlando stay - we'll definitely be going back there in the future

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. We are so happy that you appreciated the cleanliness of your suite. Its great you also appreciated our famous Smokehouse Grill Restaurant and our convenient location near lots to do in the area. On behalf of the entire Westgate Team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back very soon!

Josie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Tulsa
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed for an extended weekend Nov 15th through 18th 2013. As other reviewers mentioned at this time it seemed to be a season of low occupancy. They upgraded our room (probably because they knew we were obligated to attend the timeshare presentation and wanted to showcase a better experience). The grounds were clean and beautifully landscaped. The mini golf gear, game room and table tennis gear were all locked up and closed way too early. The room (1 bedroom) was beautiful and great for two adults. The microwave was giving us issues and had to call maintenance. He was friendly and "fixed" it but after he left it started beeping incessantly so we just unplugged it when not in use. My biggest beef was that the timeshare bit was supposed to take 90 minutes of our time and it took 4 hours!! We were scheduled for 7:30 a.m. They tell you that you get breakfast at the presentation but when you arrive you are told you must eat breakfast BEFORE the presentation will even start. Then they send you to a room of breakfast food just for those there for the presentation. Very basic spread, not very good. We didn't get started with the actual presentation until 10 after 8. It was 11:30 by the time the let us go!! If you say no, they send someone else to give you a "deal" then you tell them no, then they tell bring the original guy back, then the other guy back, then you tell them no and they "give you a few minutes to think about it", then they come back and you tell them no again and they finally give you that "disappointed in you" look and allow you to go. It was WAAAYYYY too long of an ordeal. I don't see how anyone would get out of there in the 90 minutes they advertise. Seems misleading and dishonest. My advice, if you want potential customers to trust you and do business with you, do what you say you will do and honor the time frame we agree upon. Respect our precious time!!! Going over that allotted time by an excessive amount is disrespectful and does not make me trust the way you do business as a company.

Room Tip: If you are scheduled to do the presentation, do yourself a favor and tell them upfront you expect th...
2 Thank cino24
Thank you for your feedback. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. We are a timeshare resort and offer all of our owners and guests the opportunity to participate in one of our timeshare presentations. In return for participating we do offer incentives such as breakfast and discounts. Participation is purely voluntary and our sales team is there to assist you in any way they can in the process of buying a timeshare. Again, we deeply apologize if you and your party were inconvenienced in anyway. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are sorry that was not your experience. We certainly hope that you will stay with us again giving us chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I stayed with our best friends from November 9-16th, 2013 at Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa and we were all looking forward to a wonderful week of fun, excitement, and relaxation. However, our week did not turn out as we expected.

When we arrived at the Reservations Desk, I was bombarded by a timeshare agent who was trying to get me to purchase a timeshare and was trying to get me to sign up for a presentation to which I tried to make clear that I wasn't interested. Finally, I received our room keys and was able to check in. We get to the room and the room itself was not what I was expecting. It was outdated and had old televisions with the exception of the one in the living room. There was not enough towels for 4 people an the kitchen did not have a pizza pan or a pizza cutter to make our pizza. We ended up having to improvise. The room, my husband and I stayed in, was either entirely too hot or too cold no matter how we set the thermostat. As well, the sink in the Master Bathroom, did not work as the water would not go down the drain.

There were many activities and things to do, at the resort, but only if you were an owner. Otherwise, you have to pay for everything you do such as mini golf, tennis, paddle boats, weight room, etc. The only thing you could do was use the pools and hot tubs. We tried to use the hot tub but the jets were not working right and the water was not hot enough or bubbly like hot tubs usually are. And the one time we tried to use the one that was the closest to our condo, it was dirty and full of leaves.

The only good thing that we can say about the place was that it is located about 1 mile away from Walmart which was convenient.

And to make matters worse, on our last day, I left our condo to try and locate one of the luggage carriers and was not able to find one so I asked one of the staff members I ran into if she could help me locate one and she said, "No, I do not have time to help you. Find one yourself." Needless to say, I was shocked beyond belief and stunned that an employee could treat a guest that way.

The only good thing about the resort was that I got to spend time with my best friends and my hubby. But, next time, we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bichonlover2012
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your last visit. We hope to see you again very soon.

Luna
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at WG Lakes from 11/15 through 11/24. One week was to be spent in an A/B lock out unit (3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen and laundry) with an extra day spent in the smaller B unit. This was all paid in advance (we are owners at this timeshare property) and we confirmed our extra day prior to our arrival and again on Thursday the 21st. On Friday the 22nd we came home around 10 pm from Disney to find that our key cards had been de-activated since our week was Friday to Friday and our extra day was for Saturday the 23rd. I realize this error was our fault but the front desk didn't pick up on it either since our parking permit was written from Nov 15-24 and there was no mention of checking out until Sunday the 24th. We had to move everything over to the other unit at 11:00 at night but thankfully we were not charged extra for a late check out. They did let us stay in the B unit for the 22nd and the 23rd. The situation was handled fairly well but it was a surprising and abrupt change in our plans that could have been avoided had registration noticed the gap in our stay.
The units were clean and spacious with one exception. The master suite has a large hot tub with roman columns and mirrors on three sides. Our nine-year old wanted to use the hot tub but the jets were really weak, turns out the filter was clogged with plastic flower petals. Nasty.
This is a very large property and for most of the stay the resort was at about 1/3 occupancy. We were told to attend an "owners update" to review recent changes. This was in fact a very high pressure sales presentation. Every time I said "no" the salesperson got up and a new one sat down. I had three salesmen in all. They questioned my family values for vacationing during the holidays (I own a week close to Thanksgiving) and they told me I should buy a $10,000 upgrade so I can take my daughters friends along when she's older. For my time I was given a $25.00 gift certificate for a local pizza place that sells a large pizza's for about $27.00. I can't say if it was good or not, I just tossed the voucher.
I would call this a tolerable, 3 star stay if it wasn't for the Florida football classic. This event turned the entire resort into a housing project. Police were called to the property and eventually paid to patrol the area. One previously staffed gated entrance was shut down and locked with a chain and padlock. Every parking spot was filled. Every marked fire lane was parked in. Even service entrances for golf cart lanes and parking lot intersections had cars parked in them but most of these cars were hotel guests with no parking pass. The place was filled with speeding cars with incredibly loud radios. When one of these vehicles pulled away, I turned in to take the parking spot and nearly hit the man who was urinating on the curb.
After parking the car we had to pass by two groups of drunk young adults openly smoking marijuana to get to our building. I called the front desk and told them I didn't bring my kid to Westgate Lakes to witness drug activity and they said security would respond. I also reported that other people were wandering the parking lot looking into cars. I packed our bags that night. I returned to the front desk around 6:00 am the next morning to complain and the person at registration told me that this group comes every year and that they resort is "definitely not" for families during this time period. I asked why they didn't control the parking or the drinking/partying, noise and drug use since most of these people didn't have parking permits and therefore were registered guests (it is an access controlled property). The registrant told me that WG will not discriminate and that problem guests need to be dealt with on a case by case basis. He also added that activity picked up after the police patrols ended and that a number of people were evicted the previous night. Other employees I spoke to commented that this "trashy" crowd comes every year.
We left around 7:00 am that morning. On our last trip to the car my daughter stepped in a large puddle of urine...in the elevator. I had used this elevator several times while loading the car and it was clean so this was done with recently and in the daylight. I didn't see any pets in the building. Had to clean the poor kids flip flops and feet with hand sanitizer. My experience may have been an extremely bad circumstance that is not representative of the resort. Either way, because I stayed at WGR, my kid was exposed to public urination, drunkenness, drug use and stepped in what I believe was human waste.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Greg S
Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience at our resort during the classic weekend. This weekend is indeed an extremely busy weekend and we try to accommodate every guest and owner. We have taken note of each matter you have had and will pass them on to the appropriate members of our staff. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Guest satisfaction is out top priority and we regret that we fell short during your stay. The issues you experienced are very rare and we do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband booked 2 nights here through Orbitz; he did not know it was a timeshare place.
1.) As a "renter" vs. an owner - I believe we were given the worst possible accommodations. I truly believe that they have certain rooms they assign to non-owners.
2.) Our room was in building 2300 - way in the very back of the property. I can't speak for the other rooms at this resort, but our (Orbitz) room was dirty (visible dirt and dust), dark and dingy (not enough light in room and only one window which faced a tree. We couldn't even tell if it was raining outside by looking out our one window because you couldn't see through the tree). .
****I'd like to note that occupancy was probably at about 1/3 - possibly 1/2, but doubtful; there's no doubt that they definitely had other rooms they could have given us.
3. Upon check-in they gave my husband the room assignment and immediately another person (employee) arrived at the check-in counter carrying a packet. We thought she was there to explain the resort facilities and to escort us to our room. Wrong!!! Instead she escorted us to another counter 10 feet away. She was the recruiter to get people to go to the timeshare meetings. I really felt like we were hijacked! Upon check-in, really??? They couldn't wait and perhaps call your room or slip an invitation under the door. Oh no...they "get you" upon arrival and literally escort you to they sign-up desk (might I say under false pretenses). The reservation desk does not tell you -or - ask you if you'd be willing to take a few minutes to talk to the recruiter - they just hand over your check-in information to the Rep.
4.) We called the morning of check-out to ask if we could have an 11:00 a.m. check-out instead of the usual 10:00 a.m.. We were refused the late check-out time. I believe it was because we were Orbitz people!
5.) In our rental (which was a studio) they only had glass glassware....no paper/Styrofoam or wrapped plastic cups. Which is gross and disgusting! ~ A long time ago I saw a program on tv (with hidden cameras at hotels) that explained why you should "never use glass glasses from a hotel." ~ It's because there is no assurance that the cleaning staff did anything more that rinse them and put them back for the next unsuspecting customer. I have no doubt that the people staying in that room before me, or the cleaning staff, did NOT sanitize that glassware.
We paid the $20. mandatory resort fee even though we did not use any of the facilities (except to park our car), and we did not visit their restaurants- I can't comment on that.
Overall - I would have been happier staying at a Comfort Inn or an Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: Beware if you are a renter and not an owner. Be sure to ask where your room will be located.
1 Thank 2910chris
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you feel that you were singled out due to where you booked. We value each and every one of our guests. Rooms are assigned at the time of check in based on availability. Just because it appears that there was 1/2 occupancy does not mean that there are rooms available-some have to be held for owners who did not cancel their weeks and might be arriving later in the week. Our timeshare presentations are optional. We do offer a late checkout for a fee. If a guest does not agree to the fee, then there is no late check out. Cleanliness is a priority, and when our housekeeping staff gets a room ready, they clean the glasses in the dishwasher. We thank you for your thoughts and wish you well.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed for a week at the 2 br/2ba with full kitchen at the Westgate Lakes. The place was good for a family of 5. It was big, comfortable and it made our stay cozy. The 'kitchen' utensils were not the best to cook large meals, but was certainly very handy for bkfst and light lunches. The washer/dryer was a plus for a week, same as the dishwasher.
The TVs were very outdated, but we barely watched TV since we were all day out. We did not use the facilities or common areas. We were basically there only to sleep and for bkfst. The free parking was a plus. But there was no wi-fi and the internet was $10 per day. No shuttles to the Disney parks, but they were only a few miles away. There is a supermarket in the corner and tons of restaurants just a block away. It was a good getaway week. Enough towels and cleaning supplies. I would only request a few blankets extra if your family tends to get cold at night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ElTiburon007
We appreciate you choosing to stay at our resort. It pleases us to read that you found it good for your family, that it was big, comfortable and that the kitchen and washer/dryer were handy. We do offer our WiFi at a large discount for the week, so it averages out much less than $10/day. We actually do offer complimentary shuttles to the theme parks-our apologies if this was not effectively communicated to you. We do have an ideal location, close to the theme parks, shopping and dining. Our housekeepers will bring you any extra towels, blankets or bedding that you request. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to your return!

Litchfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa from 11/9 - 11/16/2013. As owners at this timeshare property, we try to visit every couple of years. We stayed in an A/B lock-out unit (3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, laundry, etc). The kitchen was missing several "common" items - measuring cups/spoons and oven baking sheets/pans. Since we try to have one meal as a family before visiting local attractions, this was a disappointment. (We are sure that this could vary from unit to unit but should be consistent.) Our toaster was broken and they did replace it immediately once we called maintenance - they have always been very responsive to any repair need.

There were 2 pools within walking distance of our apartment and the kids took full advantage of them both. We found that it could be hit/miss for the hot tub - one evening we found it to be just warmer than bath water then another time it was almost too hot to sit. While most pools have a bar/lounge area, it seems that only the main pool at the front of the resort is ever open.

We tend to travel here in mid-October/November time frame to avoid some of the larger crowds during the school year or holiday seasons. The overall resort crowd was not too bad though parking at the end of the day can be tight if you want a spot in front of your building.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and for being owners here at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. Regarding our kitchen supplies, yes, they should be stocked with all the items you need. We're not sure how items go missing. If you contact our housekeeping team, they may be able to bring you those items. We are glad to have been responsive to your need for a new toaster. Regarding the parking, we will be working to address this as soon as we can. Thank you again for being owners, and we are thoroughly pleased to have you visit!

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Avanti International Resort
#20 of 336 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,545 reviews
Caribe Royale Orlando Suites & Villas
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!