“Another Excellent Stay!”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #73 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have stayed at the property over the past 10 years approximately 6 times. I visited for 3 nights in July, 2012, and this hotel is even better than I remembered! The pool, gym, and grounds overall are definitely A++. I know that one reviewer remarked that the hotel was dated with markings on the woodwork-well, that is not this property! It was tip top shape. The room was 5 stars, cool, clean and quiet. The staff at registration, brunch, pool and gym, were all very pleasant, and definitely happy to help. This is my favorite hotel in Florida, and me and my family are looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank momentum12

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Writing this review from the hotel beginning of our 3rd day here. As I said in the title, I'll really wanted to love this place. I'm a Marriott Gold Elite member and always (whenever possible) stay at a Marriott brand. I'll start with the good:

1) outside property and landscaping is gorgeous and has a real 'wow' factor as approaching the front entrance. Ditto for the lobby, it is spectacular. Though I did notice one of the fountains is in disrepair and sitting idle, that just looks tacky with wires resting in the fountain.
2) most employees, especially the young men at the front entrance, are helpful and friendly. Didn't have much contact with anyone else except the girl at the front desk. I won't name her but she had a definite edge to her and lacked courtesy.
3) pool is very nice, a large lazy river, and there are nice and reasonably priced gift shops in the lobby.
4) even though this hotel is very large, the wait time for elevators in minimal and it's design gives you quick access to pool and lobby areas from most guest rooms.

Now the bad:
1) the guest room hallways are dirty, carpets need a good vacuuming and gross plates with food seem to sit too long before they are picked up. My husband and I walked past the same leftover guacamole sitting in a dish on the floor 4 times! Yuck.
2) we were assigned a 'king' room. I use the word king lightly because the room is SMALL! Crammed with furniture that is not appropriate for the room's size thus unusable. Standing in the shower both my elbows hit the side walls as I was shampooing my hair. And just a point of contention, there is only one light switch in the bathroom that turns on 5 very bright lights. Not conducive to slipping into the bathroom in the middle of the night.
3) the pool while very large with a nice lazy river, needs a good cleaning. In several areas the bottom is dirty. Worse even, the patio around the pool is tiled and many of those tiles are broken and uneven (ugly and a tripping hazard). The tiles are also dirty with normal wear and areas wear food is ground in. Two words for you JW, POWER WASH!!
4) prices of food and beverage at this resort are ridiculously expensive.
5) our room will be the 28th room we have purchased from Marriott in August alone! As I mentioned I am a Gold Elite member and I was not offered an upgrade at any point of our stay in this tiny 'king' room.

All in all, this property is pretty and has potential but it needs a good cleaning and freshening up. I would definitely look for other places to stay in the Orlando area. I heard that the Hilton has a nice lazy river too.

5  Thank Mamawolf21
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The staff at the JW Marriott go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. Great pool and Lazy River. Food is expensive but very good quality. The staff at the Ritz Carlton Golf club which is on the property were the most spectacular part of the trip. We were treated as if we were on the PGA tour. Every member of their staff strives to make you feel like your a member of their club. I would recommend this golf course and hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Spent the weekend here for a wedding. When I arrived I was exhausted and a bit confused as to what to do with my car - Eric greeted me and made me feel welcome!! I left my car with him and checked in - the front desk person knew who I was !!!! I got my bags to my room and then moved my car to parking!!! Eric told me " go to the end of my driveway and turn left". Talk about taking onwership !! My room was fabulous, the view of the pools incredible. Everyone was so nice- I had a great time and recommend it highly!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed here March 2012 with two children ages 7 and 9. We were amazed by the beautiful grounds and spectacular pool. We could have lounged in the pool all day if it were not for the other wonderful things to do in Orlando! It was a great getaway to feel spoiled and pampered. Very enjoyable and highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank v8bug
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed for 7 nights at the hotel with our daughters aged 6 and 4. On arrival, the lobby is very impressive with a lovely fountain and the air conditioning is a welcome comfort from the Orlando heat!

We were staying on the 17th floor with a pool view. The view from the balcony was amazing! the Minibar fridge has plenty of space for storing your own bottles and food but the hotel was pleased to provide another fridge on request. The room was comfortable with a great bathroom. The only downside was the beds are standard 4' 6 doubles which is a bit cosy!

The pool area was awesome and we never had difficulty getting a sunbed. We ate at the Quench bar several times and the food was good. We were lucky to have kids eat free but still managed to eat out in Orlando as the menu at Citron was a bit limited. The Kids menu was also limited and the portions were bigger than we are used to in the UK! A tomato pasta would be a welcome addition to the usual Mac and cheese, hot dog and burger.

We had no trouble with self parking and there were lots of spaces free in the car park, although at $20 per night it is expensive especially if staying for a week like we did. There is free Wifi in the lobby area and at the pool but it is 9.95 if you want it in the room.

We were hassled a few times by the Marriott Vacation Club desk, but a polite no was all it took although they were puzzled when we turned down "free" stuff (nothing is for free)!

The hotel is about 10 minutes from Seaworld and 20 minutes to Disney and is great to be away from International Drive.

I would love to return to the hotel in future as the service from all the staff we encountered was excellent!

Room Tip: high rooms have great views. Pool/Garden view best
1  Thank Phisabelle
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I loved this hotel. Perfectly located on the John Young Parkway with near shops and restaurants, the hotel itself offers so much for a family vacation. The hotel staff was really friendly, the lazy river and the pool were really nice, quiet, warm and relaxing. There is a nice area for the kids to play, and there is a 0 ft. pool excellent for the small ones too. The rooms are neat and clean, the beds were really comfortable, and the bathroom was excellent too with a shower and a bathtub for everyone's taste. The hotel staff loaded our room with bottled water, and there was cold drinking water all over the pool and playground areas. There is a nice volleyball net and beach volleyball area. Really nice place to stay :-)

1  Thank laristain