“Summer Fun!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tallahassee, Florida
“Summer Fun!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have stayed at this resort every summer for the last 8 years while my husband attends a conference. My children (13/16) enjoy all the hotel has to offer -- volleyball, lazy river, crafts, game room, Starbucks, etc. We booked 2 rooms. We wanted at least one room to have a balcony but no balconies were open when we checked in. We also wanted the rooms to be close together. The rooms were at opposite ends of the hallway (more than 30 rooms apart). We always book our rooms by early March so it is always confusing to me why they can not ever meet our requests. The boys room was great. Large double window. Clean. Everything in the room was working. The girls room had issues. Around 8 PM we realized the toilet was clogged. After about 45 min the issue was fixed. Around 9:30PM my daughter took a shower. The shower was clogged and holding water. Took three phones calls and almost an hour before our shower was fixed. During the week the shower started holding water again. Yuck! Didn't bother having it fixed again. Seems like when the room is being cleaned by housekeeping the clogged toilet and shower should be noticeable. Upon checking in we requested fridges for both rooms. Neither room got one. I had to call again to get one for the girls room. The boys decided not to call again. Overall, I enjoy staying at this hotel. I enjoying the pool. It keeps the kids entertained. I enjoy the outside poolside casual dining. The rooms are in need of some repair/updating. The front desk has a hard time honoring (following through) with your requests -- fridge delivery, fixing room issues, balcony, etc. The front desk doesn't meet up to the level I am use to being a Platinum Marriott Customer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Travel4Fun465

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

From the time I checked in from the time I left WOW, GREAT, AWESOME, what else an I say. The room very nice and comfortable. Staff was very courteous and helpful and made me feel like family. The grounds and pool I loved. A person in my group had an issue off grounds and JW heard about and left a bottle of wine and chocolate's in her room to help make things better, WOW!!! Deffintly A+++

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side of Disney so you can see the fireworks each night from your room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank michael F
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is super clean, service is the best and over all the stay was great and super relaxing. Love the pool and lazy river.The only con is that they include gratuity on all the sales at the bars and food poolside is that normal? I felt a little ripped off tipping 20% on top of the already 18% that I was charged. Maybe that should be expected for such an expensive hotel, not sure? Other than that everything was great and I would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The pool area is amazing and so is the rest of the hotel. If it wasn't such a beautiful hotel I'm not sure I would give it such a good rating. There were several cons. Internet is not included, a drink that is $14.00 should not be served in a $.05 cent cup that taste like it is filled with low shelf liquor, and the parking costs were excessive. We elected for self-park and we were still billed for Valet parking. When we discussed this with customer service they treated it as they didn't believe us even though we used our room card multiple times to leave and enter the parking lot. Further, there was no guard at the gate and it never seemed to work. We had to call for them to open it multiple times adding to the ridiculous valet charge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ryan C
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've stayed at this JW Marriott several times now and for some reason the hotel always lets me down in a different way. For instance, once the hallway to my room was filthy with eaten plates of food everywhere, unplugged mini fridge and other items. This wasn't just an odd time that I just happen to be in the hallway, the hallways were consistently a mess throughout my few days there. There was another time where the phone in my room didn't work and had to be replaced, another time there were issues with the tv, a time when the valet got mixed up and forgot to bring my car around and there were two different times where the button in the elevator to my floor didn't light up and yet another time where the button in the elevator to my room was missing all together. Of course most of these things aren't a big deal but when you start stringing them together they add to a consistent and vexing problem. NOT what I would expect from a JW Marriott.
On a positive note, I thoroughly enjoy the breakfast buffet. It's a world-class array of food combined with great service in a wonderful environment ... precisely what you hope to get from a JW. The gym is no less perfect with an absolute splendid display of machines, free weights, cardio equipment and more. Working out when I'm away from home is very important to me and I promise this is an undeniably blue-ribbon, best-in-class gym. I give both; the exquisite buffet and hard core gym a 10 out of 10 (and the reason I've come back several times).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sutraspartan
Jazzy_Vazquez, Administratitve Assistant, Rooms Division at JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your sincere feedback. If I place myself in this same situation I can see how this would be extremely frustrating. Please know, your experience is highly unusual to the standards we pride ourselves with, hence the issues expressed have been addressed. Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with an excellent hotel experience. I hope you allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort. We hope to welcome you in the near future.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Have wanted to stay here for a while. The hotel is gorgeous and clean. The add-on fees are on everything and that has taken away the experience here. Self parking is $19/ a day. each time we went go out in the evening, the gate never worked. No guard at the gate, we would have to call for assistance each time, for them to manually let us out. The beds are horrible, very uncomfortable. The lazy river is awesome, but the prices at the bars/restaurants are ridiculous. A glass of OJ, is $5.00, a Bahama mama was $14. Plus they add a 18% gratuity on it too. Don't forget they add on a $25/resort fee each day also. When we received our bill at the end of our stay, we were charged twice for the parking fee. When I went to the front desk, she asked, well do you have 2 cars here? Um, no its just my husband and I. It was fixed after that. Don't think I would stay here again, due to the prices of everything.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank xtandt
Hershey Pa
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stay here once or twice a year for a week at a time and LOVE this resort!!! The resort is gorgeous and the rooms are amazing!!! We were told the first day that we get free internet with the daily resort charge. We would just need to "accept" the $14.95 charge and we would not be charged. The whole stay was amazing and we just love all the staff who make the JW such a wonderful choice!!! The day of checkout we got our bill and we realized we were charged the internet fee on top of the resort fee. I did address it at the front desk and they removed the charge. My husband has recommended this resort to many of our family and friends but he is not too happy right now because he feels they tried to sneak that extra $60.00 on to the bill. I really hope that I can convince him to come back because our family all want to come with us next time and I would love to continue to stay at this gorgeous hotel!! I hope that management can address this!

• Stayed June 2014