“Convenient and good”

Monumental MovieLand
Ranked #242 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed specifically to be close to Universal Studios. It was about 25 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel was clean. The room was nice - not the ritz, a table to put the computer. The internet was good, and the cable was ok, but not super. Several previous posters mentioned an odor, and I noticed near one of the elevators, but seemed like disinfectent, didn't noice it other than 1st day and it wasn't in the room. There wasn't a continental breakfast, but coffee in room. My only complaint would be that when we made reservations via the internet directly through the hotel, the total quoted didn't include a surcharge and other tax --- it should have showed all charges. Hotel is on International dr. so you can get to other restaurants and some attractions via the I trolley.. Check in staff and others I interacted with were very helpful. The pool was really nice.. The convenience was a really plus with us. We would stay again if going to Universal Studios.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank joeyillinois

Reviewed 24 January 2013

The price was great! The location was awesome! If your looking for luxury this is not your hotel. The toilet runs..the shower drips...But when you add up all the pluses for this hotel..they far outweigh the minuses...If your looking for a very good hotel for a truly great price and just need a place to stay to lay your head down at night..this is indeed your hotel..The steakhouse located in the hotel serves a ribeye that melts in your mouth. The hotel is walking distance to universal just 3/4 of a mile around the corner. the staff is friendly and helpful and always have a smile for you. My brother and I were truly impressed with the hotel.. we went to visit family and to have some fun.. it was a great time. Would reccomend to family and friends... Thanks to everyone at the hotel and the steakhouse..it was a very enjoyable trip...

Room Tip: The first floor is the best...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ringr94686
Reviewed 19 January 2013

After being at another hotel we checked in here We were not dissappointed Pool area all being upgraded Hotel clean Excellent location walking distance to many restaurants Wet n Wild and Universal I trolley and city buses at the door Definitely stay there again

Room Tip: ground floor closer to laundry pool and buses
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank silver5465
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed here Dec. 29-31 on the 2nd floor in 219. It’s an old building, and it shows. Check in/out were fine. Wi-Fi was fine. The heat/AC unit did not work. It was unseasonably cold in Orlando. No matter what temperature I set it at, cold air was coming out, so we just left it off. There was a dehumidifier, I assume for summer time, placed beside the bed. The elevator was slow as molasses. We noticed the license posted in the elevator expired earlier in 2012. A license is proof the elevator has been maintained by a professional and the unit is in safe, working order. We avoided it after that. The bathroom was probably the best part of the building. Water pressure was fine, never an issue with hot water. The beds were hard as a rock. The room itself was quite large, lots of room to move about. There was a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in our room, which was nice. Parking was free, and we never had an issue finding a spot. With some serious TLC, this place could be good, since the location is fantastic, but it’s been let go for to long. For the price we paid, we didn’t complain, though I don’t think we would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NurseBackpacker
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here in June 2012 after we were transferred from the Econolodge. We were not disappointed. The hotel is simple but clean. The breakfast in the restaurant next door is good and cheap. But most of all the location is perfect. We could walk to the Universal parks and Wet and Wild is just across the street. For other locations you can just hop on the trolly buss that stops in front of the hotel. If I'm going back to Orlando I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dennis W
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Having stayed here several times I can only say that this hotel is good value . If you want to stay in a palace you can pay and stay in one but this is basic but clean ideal for family's staff are very helpful and it is ideal location well worth going

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Besty1709
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 weeks in September 2011. I have to admit that after reading numerous review of this hotel once we had already booked it, I was somewhat dreading our stay here.

In my opinion, the hotel was exactly what we wanted. Situated on International Drive it was directly opposite Wet 'n' Wild, handy for walking to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure and a short ride on the itrolley to Sea World etc. I found the hotel to be clean, the staff were friendly and willing to help. Our room was clean and comfortable, beds and towels changed daily. I really don't understand the complaints made in a lot of other reviews. It was great value for money. For the price we paid, we certainly weren't expecting luxury. With so much to do and see in Florida we definitely weren't expecting to be spending a great deal of time in our room any way. It was a perfectly clean and comfortable base, somewhere to sleep after an exhausting day.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple