“Our hotel from hell”

Ranked #246 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Nashville, Tennessee
“Our hotel from hell”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband booked this hotel through Hotels.com. He asked for Monumental Hotel but didn't pay attention and we ended up here. Please know that I am not one to degrade a business for nuances, but this is the absolute worst hotel experience I have had in 20 years of traveling. Cheap? Yes. Why? It's horrific.

Room: our breath was literally almost taken away by the scent of wintergreen when we opened the door; it was that overwhelming. We propped door open while we called Hotels.com to inquire about switching once we discovered that we were at the "movieland". No dice there so we sucked it up for the one night. The two double beds appeared to be set up queen wood foundations or something. The box springs were set diagonal to the frame to keep them on the frame. My daughter had her shoes off for less than five minutes when I noticed her socks were brown. I turned down both beds and the linens did appear clean (we always remove comforters). The pillows were very small, lumpy, and fairly worthless (according to my 12 year old). The mini fridge did not cool. The hair dryer did work. Husband went for ice at four different machines (all broken) only to return to room to call front desk. Front desk stated "sorry, should have told you at check in, you have to get ice from front desk." Inconvenient? Yes. Life shattering? No.

Parking lot: approximately 2300, folks were setting off fireworks about 50 feet from our vehicle. We called front desk to no avail.

Location: convenient for the parks very close by, but difficult to see from the road after dark. We did not feel secure.

Asides: we found the "air freshener" and disabled it then went to the CVS down the street and purchased coffee and disposable cups and set fresh coffee around the room about every five feet to soak up the smell. All four of us still awoke with a headache. The windows do not open at all to allow airflow.

There were multiple plug extenders to allow for the bedside lamp, alarm clock, etc. these are absolutely unsafe and I believe forbidden to use in commercial properties.

Room Tip: My advice would be to choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank radteck96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Slovak first
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I picked this hotel because of its location being right across from the gate at wet n wild. After staying here one night, this will be my future hotel for any more overnight stays when going to the waterpark. Literally has a nice crosswalk that stops traffic when you push the button and closer than wet n wild's parking lot and saved $12 a day vs paying the waterpark for parking. I live in SW florida so its only a 3 hour trip up here. Called the hotel and said no problem getting a parking pass being that I was checking in later that day.

Now for the hotel. It used to be a best western and it is an older hotel but was decently reviewed here. Booked a double room since I was staying with my brother. Had inside hallways which some people prefer and even though there was a lot of things one could nitpick about the hotel, the room was VERY clean, smelled clean (no smoke smell), sheets and comforter were clean and the room stayed nice and cool. From the lobby, there was a hallway directly into the restaurant next door with the $3.89 buffet breakfast. Even though it was very convenient and had good bacon and pancakes, I probably would go elsewhere for breakfast next time.

Room Tip: all the rooms do not have balconies even though it appears that some do
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank robsnyder20
London
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We ended up staying at this hotel through Expedia's secret hotel deal, whereby you choose a general location and star rating, and pay before finding out what you had booked. The hotel was easy to find, being right on International Drive, and upon arrival, check-in was quick and easy, and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the third floor, and when walking to the room I felt as if the hotel could do with a bit of renewal; the carpets in the hallways seemed old and sticky, and the lifts smelt a little odd. The room we had smelt musty when we first walked in, and a few things didn't work or were not plugged in. It seemed as if the room may not have been used for a while. Otherwise it seemed clean; the bathroom was clean and had fresh towels and toiletries. The air con was working well and the room was nice and cool. We only ended up staying in this room for one night though, as we found a cockroach on the second day. The reception staff were very apologetic and moved us to an alternative room immediately. It was much the same as the previous one, although seemed to be in slightly better condition. We did not see any other creepy crawlies during the rest of our stay, which was good, and the room was cleaned daily. As other people have mentioned, the rooms seem to suffer with damp, and we had to have the dehumidifier on a lot during our stay to make the room bearable. The only problem being that it was very loud, so we had to turn it off at night in order to sleep.

The hotel is well located on International Drive, directly opposite Wet n Wild and within walking distance of Universal Studios. One evening we got a cab back from Universal, and it cost $6. There are shops like Walgreen nearby, and bars and restaurants also within walking distance. The car park is huge and we always had our pick of spaces.

The hotel was fine for what we wanted, which was a place to sleep in between visiting the many attractions of Orlando. We were not looking for a hotel to spend any prolonged periods of time, so it was fine for us. It is in an excellent location, and the staff were great. I would consider staying here again, as it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Any room not on the ground floor.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We choose this hotel because of the close vicinity to Wet and Wild, dining amenities and Universal Studio Florida. If you are a fan of the famous seafood restaurant Red Lobster, it is only 2 stops away from the hotel. It is at I-ride trolley stop 7.

Universal Studio Florida is just 15 minutes walk, and cost less than USD$7 to get to Universal Studio. The shuttle bus is provided but the late departure from hotel and early departure from Universal Studio is a minus point. I would recommend a walk or a cab instead of the Shuttle Bus. Prepare USD$50 if you are to travel to the Airport from this hotel.

With wet and wild just across the road, swimmers can wear just swimming costumes and cross the road straight from the room itself. Wet and wild is a huge water theme park that has lots of water amenities like black hole, h2O disco and brainwash water slides. The price of USD$55 per head is a worth.

For people who are interested in Premier outlet, This hotel is also strategically located right outside the special bus service called I-ride trolley. It is a green bus which cost USD$1.50 per head per trip irregardless of the distance. Ensure you have the exact amount to pay in cash because the drivers do not carry change and credit card service. Children below certain height travel free. Movieland hotel is stationed at number 9 and the Orlando premier outlet is at station 1 up north, The bus operates from 8AM to 10PM at 20 minutes interval.Loaded with cash for dining, travel down south and that stretch of road will not disappoint you for there is TGIF, Applebees, and even chinese buffet. Fancy a good seafood, Red Lobster is a must try up north.

Back to hotel, the room service is good and clean. bathroom amenities may be old, but it brought out the antique quality of the hotel with pictures of old movies even to the days of elvis and Audrey Hepburn along the corridor. There is a microwave and coffee maker and a fridge in the hotel room for complimentary use. Want to eat some local food on budget, Walgreen offers frozen food that can be microwave in the rood for consumption.

Staffs are helpful and knowledgeable. The closest dining Black Angus Steakhouse is just direct next door for easy dining and drinking. For those who hopes for free breakfast, forget it, for the price you paid for, there is none. There is however, buffet breakfast less than USD$10 around the area such as black angus, ponderosa and even KFC. Have I mentioned that Walgreen is just 2 buildings away? If you ran into food problem, medication and food is just available in Walgreen 24/7. The swimming pool at the center court of the hotel is small but with the low turnup (b'cos everyone goes to either theme park or wet and wild) for swimmers, the pool is still neatly maintained and cleaned by the hotel staff.

The hotel room also feature a free Wifi service and it serves us greatly in accessing our messenger and line feature so we can call back home or update pictures to cloud servers back home after an exciting day.

For the economical value for a 3 star hotel this is good for someone who enjoys the theme park and need a place to shower and sleep for next day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the lift shaft for quiet sleep.
1 Thank ORCarrier
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here first time in Sept 2012, we have just returned again and was very pleased with our visit. The hotel is very reasonably priced and you get what you pay for we were not expecting 5* service because we didnt pay for that. the check in was less than 5 mins and the staff were very friendly and helpfull. The room was clean and was equiped with large screen TV fridge microwave air con and coffee/tea machine.
we didnt have any issues with damp or extra guests in our room.
Clean towels were replaced every day along with tea and coffee the bed was changed every 2 days, every afternoon they knocked at the door and asked if we had everything we needed and were quite happy to give you anything you asked for.
The pool area is a bit poor and they could do a lot more with it but i think we used this twice during our 2 week stay as we were too busy plus we had tickets to Wet n Wild water park which is literally across the road.
The location is perfect as we could walk to Universal Studios 15min stroll, Sea world was a 5 min bus ride on the I Hop bus ($18 for a 2 week pass) and free shuttles were laid on for all the parks.
There is everything close by from supermarkets to bars and restaurants.
We didnt have any issue with noise from the road or other guests the only time we heard anyone else was when we walked through the corridors.
There is a bar restaurant joined to the hotel and the food is great and the staff very friendly, we spent a few lovely evenings in here sat at the bar chatting to other customers and bar staff.
Overall another lovely holiday and we will book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Both times we have stayed in rooms on the 3rd floor facing the pool and was very quiet
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights. It was our anniversary and the staff made a point of wishing us a Happy Anniversary nice touch. The hotel is a little tired but is functional.

The bed was comfy and clean.

To use the safe you need to get a key from reception but its free to use.

The wifi connection was very good.

The hotel is positioned opposite wet and wild and is a twenty min walk to Universal studios.

The swimming pool was out of action for our stay although it looked ok so we had to use the pool in the next hotel. A little inconvenient but was ok.

The hotel doesn't have a bar or a restaurant but is attached to the black Angus restaurant and bar.
Breakfast was $3,89 before the compulsory gratuity and drinks so what started as being cheap doesn't turn out that way.

Would I stay here again at the right price.

Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Don't waste your money.. I wish I had listened to the reviews before I did it. I thought some people are so picky and I am not. Well, It was horrible. Never again will I book with 'Expedia" I can't believe they even carry this on there site. They need to go spend a few nights in that place and I will bet you they would drop it!!! The smell in that room was so "Overwhelming" it was like bug spray. We even bought two cans of Febreze to help with it. It was still awful. They have snack machines with just water in them or a couple with a couple snacks. would not want to eat that!! Ice machines don't work.. Lady from housekeeping never had wash cloths. Just want to say.. Don't go there!!! Hear me and change it before it is to late. I wish I would of done so. The beds are awful lumpy and tiny pillows.. I went and bought my own. A lady from England was there and she could hardly walk but they put her on the 3rd floor. She asked directions to the Walmart and was told not to far. She and her Son were going to walk and they walked for two hours. Can you Image. We are just happy to be HOME.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. We talked to A lot of people when there. So didn't seem to smell as mu...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hndjul

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels