“Good place to stay for the price”

Monumental MovieLand
Ranked #244 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is well located if you go to the several amusement parks around. Across the street of Wet n Wild, walking distance from Universal and you can take a trolley to Sea World's parks and Orlando Premium Outlets Right the next entrance takes you to the I-4 that goes to WDW parks. Personally the first day they assign me the room 125. There was a a sound of a water drop falling in the ceiling, that not let us to sleep at all. I claimed at the front desk, than they move us to the room 237. That was a nice, clean room with pool view. One of the days the maid don't leave us towels, but it was resolved with a call to the lobby. I didn't had the opportunity to use the pool, but it seems to be clear and clean. I passed by the laundry; not used it either; there were around 6 washers and 6 dryers, and only 2 of each were working. It was a nice hotel for the cheap price I paid.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Monumental MovieLand

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I really had no qualms about this hotel. The location is incredible for a start (20 minute walk to Universal and over the road from Wet and Wild) and we paid literally nothing for a six day stay.

Of course, it's a little bit run down and could probably do with some TLC, but who stays in their hotel when you're in Orlando?! We literally slept there and that was it - the beds were really comfy too, although the pillows were a little thin, we dealt with it.

It was clean enough and we had our towels changed daily so I can't complain on that front.

Some of the reception staff were a bit miserable, but the ones who made the effort were fantastic.

We had a brilliant trip all in all - I think the people really moaning on here were expecting the Hilton or the like! You'd pay through the nose elsewhere for the location in my opinion and you're never there!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Emma N
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Disgusting hotel – the resident moths love your clothes! Bed bugs love you too!

I’ll keep it short and simple – all in all, the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. We have stayed in cheaper hotels on the International drive strip and received much better quality and service. This hotel is so incredibly run down, I don’t expect it to be around much longer! We always stay on the strip, and have never stayed here before. We found this for a cheap price (although like stated, we could have gone cheaper that we know and like, but thought it would be good to try somewhere new)

-Damp Smell in rooms / dehumidifiers are in the room but with no instructions
-Wasp nests outside our windows – the wasps were HUGE
-No towels in bathroom, the cleaners would take them but not replace them, some days we had to go down to reception in the evenings to ask for some, and other times we got knocks on the door at 9:30pm and 10:00pm for a towel delivery.
-Cleaners have a weird way of cleaning, many times we returned to just ONE of the two beds made… some days they didn’t empty the bins, some days they just came in and took towels, they never dusted or hovered (they hovered the hallways I noticed a few times during the day).
-The beds and linens don’t seem to be washed. We stayed for 20 days before we couldn’t stand it any longer and checked out. On the first night we dropped some Pepsi on the linens and didn’t think much of it, until during the holiday I noticed the stain, and realised they hadn’t even changed the beds (I know the hotels don’t clean the blankets or comforters EVER, I think they should hot wash them after each guest stay – so unhygienic). At the end of our stay, the stain was still there on the linen/blanket.
-There seemed to me many many cigarette butts scattered throughout the hotels – general tidiness was very poor. I am more concerned about the lack of cleanliness when you have 1 ½ -2inch gaps UNDER THE DOORS! Anything could get under those doors, I am appalled by these gaps, you can also hear everything that goes on in each room and in the corridors.
-Laundry room was a joke – none of the 8 washers and dryers were working.
-Be warned of moths in your room… we noticed this literally as we walked in the room, we didn’t think much of it, and got rid of the moth. We then bought some new clothes and slowly we started to notice little holes in them. One day I discovered a moth in the drawer… It made my skin crawl. And then knowing the laundry room wasn’t working – it felt like a trap (at this point we were looking for alternative places to stay)
-The entrances aren’t secure, saw a few people just pull them open with a little force if they forgot their keys, most of the time even at night, these key locked doors were open to the public.
-The carpets in the room were dirty, you will see in photos I will upload. The carpets in the corridors were dirty and stained.
-Shuttle bus to Disney comes when it feels like it – one day it didn’t show up, we waited for 2 hours, the hotel front desk were SO unhelpful it was unreal. Never received such a bad service, no complimentary taxis were put on, we just felt like we literally missed a day waiting for the no-show driver. Driver was rude when he did show, was once 50minutes late when he picked up from Epcot and jumped off the bus and laughed in our faces thinking it was a joke, he didn’t apologise once.
-The beds were uncomfortable –and the pillows were so weird, like teddy bear stuffing inside a pillowcase?
-The pool bar is still being worked on, don’t hold your breath guys! The sunbeds are also wooden, so unless you can grab one of three lounger pillows you are in for an uncomfortable relax by the pool!
-BED BUGS. Now, I can safely say we haven’t ever been in a hotel where we have been ‘bitten’, even the cheapest hotel we have ever stayed in. We kept waking up with various bites on our bodies, but only in the mornings… once we spent the afternoon in the room napping, when we awoke, we had bites on our chest and face. These rooms must be known for some kind of mite because a few times after our bites we saw rooms being fumigated, which isn’t reassuring at all. There was once a whole row of rooms being fumigated!

(Side note, they charge you for post being delivered. I ordered some post to the hotel and it was from the same company but two orders, the postal company taped them together to make one package, yet the front desk lady had the cheek to argue it was two packages, therefor I had to pay two x $5 fees to let me have them. They obviously think this is a good money maker, and fair enough it is, but it’s pretty embarrassing for the hotel to argue over $5 when the USPS clearly taped them together to make ONE solidly wrapped package).

The hotel staff were overall he most unhelpful bunch I have ever encountered. We complained about the shuttle, the towels, the moths, the wasp nests and laundry room… nothing was ever done, I didn’t ever once get a sorry and tried to resolve it, instead I was just handed the towels, or just told the bus was ‘on its way’ (the day it didn’t show at all).

This place is so terribly outdated and in need of a lot of attention. The staff should all have a crash course on basic customer service too. It’s such a shame, as the rooms in this hotel are on the larger side, and if this hotel were to undergo a complete tear down and rebuild (like some hotels on the strip, i.e Avanti?) then it would be fantastic as its in such a great location. It is a short 10-15minute walk to Universal, the trolley bus is right outside, its opposite Wet N Wild, and close to so many restaurants. I would strongly recommend you stay elsewhere, don’t be trapped in the hotel like we were until we finally found somewhere to move to (not everyone can afford to change hotels- it’s not exactly something you budget for!) I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone at all, and I hope that people do read these reports (and the hotel too!) and rethink their booking here. We have stayed in budget motels throughout the US, some even without prior research (on a road trip) and found them to be outstanding. You will find other hotels on this strip with a Disney shuttle for the exact same price and a much better standard (including customer service!) They need to give this place a total makeover and in doing that, it would be a very sought after place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sta3055
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Chose this placed based on the price and like it or not we live in a world where you get what you pay for. The hotel is fine if your just looking for somewhere to sleep in between doing the parks and other things. If you want a hotel to do some pool lounging etc... then this is definitely not for you. We stayed for 21 nights and can't say we had many problems.
The pool area is neglected some what, it works for a quick dip but its not a the kinda place you'd want to spend the day, mainly because the sun loungers are wooden without cushions and the pool bar they advertise never opens.
The rooms are in general fairly clean and got cleaned (almost) everyday. They are dated like the rest of the hotel but again, you get what you pay for and we weren't spending much time in the room so it was fine for us. We did ask for a double room however and were given a twin.
Around the hotel you will find various vending machines in various states of functionality. There are at least 3 we found that worked to some degree and one working ice machine but they advertise one on every floor which would appear not to be the case. There was a 'Guest Laundry' which we also made use of. There are 6 washer/dryers. Only 2 washers and 1 dryer actually work. We did get our clothes washed but I can't imagine in busy season it wouldn't be a fun experience.
As for the staff, we had no issues. They weren't the 'Do Anything For You' kind but if we had a problem they generally gave us a solution.
Location is about the one thing it really has got going for it. Angus Steakhouse next door serves decent food (if slightly over priced). Wet'N'Wild across the road and the Universal parks are a 20 min walk so no need for transfers. If you are going to Disney (and you probably are) Do Not go with the idea of using their free transfer service as the times suck. Either get a car or book a private shuttle. There is also a Trolley and Lynx stop right outside.

Overall:- If your going for a short stay to do parks and activities and want to get it done on the cheap, this place will do. If your looking for a bit more luxury than 'bare essentials' then id suggest spending some extra and going further down I-Drive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Garry H
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 7 days and it is by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed in , in the USA. Definately not 3 stars rooms smelt musty ,carpets grubby, bedding shabby we had to complain about beds not been made,towels taken away and not replaced,complimentary toiletries not been replenished. We were told by the travel agent that transfers to Disney parks were available but this proved very restricting so we hired a car. The location however was excellent on International drive just a shame that the hotel was in such poor condition.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Need a renovation really badly. When you see automatic air fresher pumping every couple of minute INSIDE a room, you should think about what are they trying to cover.

Beds were clean so were the bathroom. Place is just REALLY Old.

Location fantastic for Universal visitors

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2014

So here we are a group of 4 me being the oldest at the age of 23, we are not picky and we knew it was a cheap hotel but this place is something else, it is incredibly bad. we got there first day and where met with unfriendly front desk staff no problem we just wanted the room we didn't care much about staff. The room is extremely outdated and it had a real damp smell to it but we sucked it up we just wanted to enjoy our vacations and the beds to crash in, but those beds are ROCK HARD I woke up 3-4 time a night to change in a more comfortable position because you could feel the springs pushing against your body. Room service where kind of special they took the dirty towels and did not leave fresh ones and when we called front desk we waited more than half an hour and multiple calls to get fresh towels and this went on almost everyday of our 10 day stay, also on one occasion they cleaned half the room they did one bed and left the other like it was kind of odd, the free wifi seemed to work when it felt like it. We spent as little time as possible at the hotel, we did not let it ruin our vacations we had a blast but would never even consider spending another night in that place

I am not the type of person that writes reviews but honestly this place sucked so much its been a month since we came back from our vacations and I had to do it

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family