“Nice place to stay, but there were a few issues...”

Monumental MovieLand
Ranked #242 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a nice hotel! My husband & I stayed here for our honeymoon, due to the price and location. We found a great package deal on expedia, and the location is amazing, There are over 100 restaurants & shops to walk to. Tip: try the $9.99 dinner at Ponderosa, which is about a block away. Great food and service! We also walked to Universal (no morning shuttle available) in about 15 min. and to Pointe Orlando outdoor shopping and dining plaza. It was also a great time, and very enjoyable to stop and shop along the way. You must stop at the Friendly's diner!
Back to the hotel, it has awesome amenities: a micro and fridge, not to mention a large flatscreen tv. Now, to the issues: a clogged toilet, a bathroom light that went out, and a broken coffee maker. In all the hotels I have stayed at, I have never encountered all these issues! The staff was very nice, and the pool was large! and very clean. So, would we stay there again? No! We liked it, but the Castle Inn (on I-drive) and many others are more $$$, but better values IMO. Btw: check out the new Harry Potter land in Universal. Amazing!!!

Thanks,
Cassy & Adam, GA

Room Tip: We had a great room overlooking the pool! Highly recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassy L

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We where looking for a place to stay where we could walk to Wet n' Wild , found Monumental Movieland on International Drive , just across the street . Location for this was perfect.
I choose this from the price, and to the price it was ok , worn down , not dirty but not that clean either. For the price it was ok .
There is a gym that I totally missed looking at the homepage , not big but so that you can get the most necessary done. We did not use the pool as we where only there for 1 night , and spent the day at Wet n' Wild.
The restaurant that is connect to the hotel - Black Angus was perfectly located , they had good food, not the best but good . Fun bar, great staff .
If you are not looking for anything extravagant this can be recommended .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I went here one time a couple of years ago and....OMG! I honestly don't even know where to begin. DO NOT STAY HERE. From the very first moment we arrived there was a drug deal going on in the front parking lot, right out in the open for everyone to see. We were like ok that happens, we were young once, whatever. Then we were greeted by a huge, gigantic, big, fat, pregnant palmetto-bug/cockroach laying upside down, kicking it's little legs, dying a slow & painful death from the unbelievable, overpowering pesticides that were permeating thee entire hotel. We still wonder what our stay would've been like if they would not have sprayed so much roach spray throughout the hotel. I can only imagine the horrid thought. Smh.. I have to wear a CPAP machine due to my sleep apnea so I take it every where I go and I of course brought it here so I could get a good nights sleep. As we were sleeping we had to breath in and inhale an overwhelmingly foul stench of bug spray all night long that made us "LITERALLY" noxious and sick to our stomachs. After we got back home (a 1 and a half hour drive away) my CPAP machine still stunk like that hotel. ...And I don't mean slightly either! I mean it smelled bad; beyond what mere words could ever express. I thought the stink would maybe dissipate or disappear if I just gave it another day so I could avoid having to breaking apart the entire machine to clean it but oh no. That sick foul stench was still hanging in there strong as ever 2dys later. I had to spend about 2hrs breaking apart my machine down to thoroughly clean it.
I'm not even going to mention the loud banging noises throughout thee entire night & morning because after the drug dealing and shady guest and disgusting cockroaches that was the very least of our problems there. Leaving the hotel was pretty fun and exciting. HOW IS THIS PLACE IN BUSINESS?! WOW!!! Never again.. This experience reminded me of that old saying, I have to continually keep learning the hard way: If a deal seems to good to be true it probably is. This place isn't fit for a filthy homeless alcoholic dying of hepatitis.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank steeball
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here for two weeks with my mum and my sister sharing one room.

When the rooms were cleaned by room service, they would take the towels and not replace them every time. One night at HALF PAST TEN room service knocked on the door to replace the towels. I had been to universal that day so me and my family were extremely tired and had fallen asleep early in the evening so we were awoken by room service and when I went to reception the next day to complain they told me it was because they didn't have enough clean towels so my towels would be replaced once my old ones were clean!

There were several occasions where room service had been and it was obvious they hadn't cleaned the bath tub because there were foot prints still in it from the night before. There was also a cockroach in the bath at one point.

There were three people staying in that room and they would only re fill the coffee and cups with two of each, even after asking reception if we could have three of each.

We stayed on the ground floor as we were asked when we checked in where we would like to stay. Having not stayed in many hotels we weren't really sure where the best place to stay would be so we asked the lady where she would recommend and she said the room she would be giving us was fine. Well, the first week was fine but the second week every single night from about 8pm we could not relax due to people coming in and out of their rooms and being ridiculously loud/laughing and kids running up and down the hallway up until around 11pm. Had we not had a 3 inch gap under our door it might not have been too bad. Next time we will make sure when we stay in a hotel not to get ground floor! we asked to change rooms to another floor but were refused because the hotel was fully booked.

Apart from this the staff were nice and were always happy to help with any queries on where to eat/what to do, although I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

Next time I come to florida I will be staying in a 4 star + hotel.

Room Tip: don't stay on ground floor. In the morning when room service are about with their trollies, take...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RachelleGray
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here from 28th June to 7th July. To be honest I was scared as I had booked it before I read the reviews on here and I wondered what we had let ourselves in for. The main reason I chose it was the location and let's face it, pretty cheap price. Usually I don't look for too much when going to Orlando as all I need from a hotel is a place to rest my head at the end of the day,

When we arrived the lady at the front desk was very nice and there was no queue, we were checked in within minutes, she told us where the best place to park would be based on where our room was, asked how our flight was and just generally nice (as you expect when checking in to a hotel). We made our way up to the room (still expecting to cry and run for it) but I must say it was ok, there was no foul smell as some people have experienced, there was a slight smell in the hallways (but when people are going to walk in from the pool soaking and dripping onto the carpet, this is hard to stop from happening) The room was clean and comforatble, yes the pillows were not so good, but oh well.

With regards to towels, they do ask that if you want your towels changed then leave them on the floor, but they will not change towels hanging up (trying to be environmentally friendly by not washing them every day) I will agree that the hotel does not have enough towels. Although there were only 2 of us, the room sleeps 4 and there were only 2 bath towels. There was one day that I left the towels down to be changed and when I got back to the room at 11.30pm there were no new towels put in, called the front desk and then at 12.30am still no towels so went down to ask, was told they would be up in a few minutes. 2am I decided to give in and go to sleep cause they had still not arrived, went and got some in the morning from front desk. If you need towels at any point you can go to front desk, or even knock on laundry room door and they will probably give you them.

Other than that I really had no issues with the hotel, our room was right next to the lift (elevator) and there was no noise throughout the night, the hallways were always pretty quiet too.

They need a few things updating, such as a paint job for the hotel, they were doing some landscaping out around the carpark, so will be interesting to see how that goes. They 100% need to buy more towels, I mean take the rental rate of one room for a week and you can buy another 2 towels per room and solve a big recurring issue for people and to be fair the quality of the towels were probably worth about 50c each.

As for the cats/kittens that people have been moaning about, this is a big issue throughout Orlando, they have a lot of strays all over the place, but you know what they are not doing any harm, they aren't bothering you so leave them alone and stop complaining about that.

I would stay here again and in fact I plan to in October when I go back for another 2 weeks. Like I said, you get what you pay for, it's not the Ritz, but it is certainly not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

So if like me, and most people, you are going to Orlando for a busy holiday you are not going to spend a lot of time in your hotel and this place could be the place for you.

Room Tip: Request the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Loved Orlando was not such a fan of the hotel to be honest, it had just a stale smell in the corridors, luckily the room didnt smell like that but instantly wish we hadnt booked, the staff were great we were allowed in the pool area after getting back from few bars, overall id give it 2 star the smell is something ill remember, right across from wet and wild Univeral litteralyy 10 min walk 2 mins in car

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I called two days before my stay and asked about the forementioned pickup at the Airport for a fee and was told I WAS WRONG that is not advertised on the website. We checked in and went to our room it smelled of a combination of urine and professional cleaner. The room was absolutely filthy. The smell in the the elevators was overpowering and stifling the tempature in had to be over 80 degrees. Spoke to front desk and was moved to another room, second room was barely better. Stayed one night and booked at Coco Key down the block. Spoke to woman at front desk in the morning she didnt even look up or greet me simply said good morning and asked if there was a dunkin donuts that we could walk to she grumbled "i dont know". Old building, outdated rooms and totally unprofessional staff, customer service was dreadful and the staff simply didn't care that I was unhappy with the service. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. There are so many better options in the area. Use them and skip this hotel.

Room Tip: Tip: Don't stay here ...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family