“Unforgettably Terrible Experience”

Ranked #5 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Unforgettably Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Unfortunately, we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites (Gateway Village) for the first night of our honeymoon before departing on a cruise to the Bahamas.

Our experience was terrible, and it was incredibly disappointing especially considering that it was our honeymoon. We experienced numerous issues for a one night stay including:

1) Poor facilities -The door had issues fully closing which we thankfully noticed immediately and took extra care to ensure it closed prior to leaving. This is a security concern.

2) Poor service - We requested a shaving kit multiple times and had to contact the manager as we had waited over an hour. Initially, we had called by phone and were told it would be brought in just a few minutes. My husband went to the counter where he was told they had to retrieve one from a closet, but we would bring it down. We called again to the front counter and were assured it would be brought. The last time my husband went to the counter, he spoke with a manager, and the kits were up front the entire time. This was unacceptable service.

3) Unhelpful staff - Our shuttle to the port was pre-paid. When we initially checked in, the front desk associate did not know any information regarding the shuttle. Thankfully, we called to confirm in the morning, spoke with someone who did understand, and discovered that our shuttle had not yet appropriately been notified to pick us up. This would have resulted in our shuttle being missed for a cruise had we not followed-up with a staff member who knew how to assist us.

4) Disappointing breakfast - We found breakfast to be cold, dirty, and crowded. We have stayed at multiple hotels that offer free continental breakfast, and this was the worst we have encountered.

5) Not a pleasurable stay - The hotel overall had a very chaotic and noisy environment. I would chalk this up to Orlando, however, our stay at the Doubletree (following our cruise) was exceptional.

Based on other reviews, I can see that we had an exceptionally poor experience. This is unfortunate, but there were many factors that led to a disappointing stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BelleofBelltown
Allison M, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando Airport @ Gateway Village, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share valuable feedback with us and the Trip Advisor community regarding your stay in January. I would like to first congratulate you both on your marriage and wish you the best! I am deeply sorry that this stay was an “unforgettably terrible experience” and apologize that we fell short in many aspects of your 1 night stay as we would never want any of our guest to experience what you did. We have reviewed with our leaders your feedback and are addressing many of the concerns to insure our guest do not have an experience like this again. Our newly opened, award winning property just received the Light House award honoring our service and I am truly sorry you’re your experience with our team does not reflect our award. I do hope this experience does not shy you away from selecting Hampton in the future. If you could contact me directly to discuss any additional feedback regarding this stay it would be greatly appreciated as our goal is to ensure our guest leave 100% satisfied and I truly apologize that this fell short and was not a pleasurable stay. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Allison.Martin2@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I selected this hotel as it was close to the hotel where my customers were staying. Luckily I could not get into the other hotel...and found this gem. This is a fairly new hotel (year old)...and still felt new. Everything was clean and in working order. Breakfast items were fresh, always refilled...and tasted good. Did not use the exercise room since the weather was so nice outside and jogged around the perimeter of the property and adjacent properties. I would definitely stay here again. Many restaurants and shops close by as well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

3 Thank J B
Allison M, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando Airport @ Gateway Village, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our award winning Hampton Inn and Suites. We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community letting them know about our excellent location and hotel! Thank you for referring to us as a gem finding everything clean and more importantly in working order. I am glad you had a chance to enjoy our breakfast on the house and great weather for the jog around the village. I am excited to see you would not hesitate to stay with us again and we hope that it won’t be to long before having the opportunity to welcome you back! Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed for less than 12 hours there, but pleasantly surprised, will likely stay there again next time in transit in Orlando. It is very close to the airport, the shuttle service works great, and the rooms are nice and quiet. The hotel is still relatively new, so everything is in great condition. The rate was great, but probably because it is still new. You can walk across the street to a number of good restaurants, couldn't ask for more from an "airport" hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank BayAreaRes
Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor! I am so pleased to see that you were pleasantly surprised with our new facility and location! Thank you for your compliments regarding our efficient complimentary shuttle service as well I will be sure to share with all our drivers. For an airport property I am glad our award winning hotel was so satisfying and that you could not have asked for more.  We look forward to your return the next time in Orlando. Thank you again for your feedback and please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our flight was canceled and there wasn't another flight until two days later. The hotel staff picked us up at the airport. When we arrived we were quickly checked in and where in our room in a matter of minutes. Later we asked if we could get a ride to a near by restaurant and they were quick to accommodate us. Jordan, the driver was very helpful and curtious. Thanks you for making a bad situation a little better.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Chris4774
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community. I do apologize that you were not able to get out of Orlando due to your flight being canceled but we are so glad you were able to experience our award winning Hampton Inn and Suites property. I am glad that our airport shuttle was at least able to accommodate you with complimentary shuttle service and experienced a speedy check in making the arrival process smooth. I am glad the shuttle team was able to accommodate you and I appreciate you taking a moment to recognize Jordan I will be sure to share this with him! I am glad we were able to make what could have been a bad experience a great one and I hope in your future travels to Orlando that we have the pleasure of welcoming back to our award winning Hampton Inn and Suites! Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any assistance.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here feb 24 for 1 nite. Check in at 9:30 pm. Check in was professional complete information was given without having to ask. The room was large and clean. The snack kiosk is very handy.....especially upon late arrivals. Breakfast was your typical hampton inn breakfast.
The only minor complaint I incurred was upon check out. Ask what my total was for the room and two beverages I had the nite prior. He stated the amount and I was satisfied. He said my room receipt would be emailed to me. Fine. I then ask for 2 bottles of courtesy water that my wife and I could take on the road with us. He said help yourself and pointed to the fridge in the kiosk. I took two bottles of water and we left. I never did get an emailed room receipt. I went on line to my hampton account to print off a copy. That is when I saw that I had been charge for the two bottles of water courtesy water that I had requested. Amount $5.00. Wow how about that. Well I quess this hampton inn needs every dollar it can squeeze from its members. Next time I will know better.
Enjoy your stay but remember nothing is free!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! We appreciate you taking time to praise the staff with the professional and informational check in you received. We are glad you found the guestroom spacious and clean and that you had a moment to check out our 24 hour suite shop. I wanted to apologize for the slight dissatisfaction at checkout when you request to complimentary waters. Unfortunately we do not offer complimentary waters and I apologize that the agent that was assisting you did not make that clear when guiding you to the suite shop we never want to make you feel like we are nickel and diming. We do offer 1 complimentary snack and beverage at check in for our Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that have it selected as there "my way" preference. We do appreciate your loyalty to Hilton and I do apologize for this slight hiccup before your departure. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

North Miami Beach, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

When I decided to stay here because the internet was complimentary, I was not expecting to find this much value. The room is spacious and had a very comfortable work area; the internet was easy to connect to and worked great - no lag. The staff is friendly, the eating area during complimentary breakfast is clean and I love the look around the hotel with benches and flowers. I think this is a steal!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor Community and are truly honored that you had a 5-star experience at our award winning Hampton Inn and Suites! We are pleased that our accommodations and amenities were top notch providing you with complimentary breakfast and internet access during your stay. I look forward to your return and ask that you contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

St. John's
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed for one night mid-February and I have to say this was a great hotel.

The top points:

The room was large, spacious and clean. I was extremely happy with it.

I loved the "Suite Shop"! It had small traveller size wines and other small cocktail drinks as well as a wide rang of snack and nibbles. The prices would be what you would expect in a hotel, but I don't think anything was outrageously priced.

There are lots of dining options all within short walking distances, which is a nice convenience.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, from check-in to check out and the shuttle driver who brought me to the airport the following day.

If I find myself in the Orlando airport area again, I would stay here in a heartbeat and would recommend to stay here to all my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for writing such a great review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. I am so excited we were able to make such an impact on a 1 night stay providing you with a spacious and clean guestroom. I also want to say thank you for your compliments regarding our 24 hour “Suite Shop” as all of my guest services team take pride in making sure there are plenty of choices for all of our guests! I am glad the Gateway Village location offered many dining options within steps of our front door. Thank you for your compliments regarding our friendly and helpful staff and we are truly excited that when you return to Orlando we would be your first choice and are grateful that you will let your family and friends know just how awesome we are! Thank you again for your feedback and please let me know if I can be of any assistance.