“Now just open for special events...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Prickly Pear Steakhouse - CLOSED

Prickly Pear Steakhouse
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Lake Mary, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Now just open for special events...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stopped by there this week for some of their amazing steak tips and lo and behold they were closed. Apparently they are now only open for catered events. That being said, we went to their sister restaurant next door (Nicks Italian kitchen) and had a very good meal.

• Visited April 2013

Virginia
“Good Meal in Quaint Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Our family of 4 ate here one night during our vacation stay in Kissimmee, FL. I had a discount voucher for $40 worth of food for $20. The voucher actually allowed us to choose between four different restaurants. In looking at the menus for all 4 restaurants online, we decided to grab burgers at the Prickly Pear.

We visited early on a Friday night. We arrived around 4:45 pm and learned that it didn't open until 5 pm. Someone from the staff seated us anyway and brought drinks to us. Our waitress, Hope, was very personable. She took our orders and was good about refilling drinks. We sat outside on one of two patios at the restaurant. We sat on the patio in front of the business. It took awhile to get dinner, so sitting here kept us entertained. We watched the valet guys jump from car to car and run by the patio trying to get to the next car. We watched area residents walk their dogs and ride their bikes. Very entertaining at times! The restaurant's other patio is on the side of the business and is screened by hedges. Much more intimate and quieter than the front patio.

The meal finally arrived. Three of us ordered burgers cooked medium. All three were cooked to perfection and very tasty! The burgers came with fries, which were really no different than the generic frozen shoestring fries you buy at the grocery. They had very little taste. The fourth member of our party ordered two fish tacos and a side of guacamole. She claimed that the tacos and guacamole were the best she had ever eaten.

Burgers were $11 to $14 each. The tacos were $3 each with an additional .50 for the guacamole. Everything else on the menu was over $15; most in the $20+ range.

The atmosphere has a western theme to it. The kids' drinks came in a boot-shaped glass, which my daughter thought was the coolest thing! There was a wagon wheel leaning up against the column out front, and the western theme carried into the restaurant and it's decor as well.

Overall, it was a very good experience. By the time we left (6 PM), there were only a couple tables seated. The server was good, the food was very good, and the outside dining experience was enjoyable. Had I not had the discount voucher, I would not have chosen this location to eat. I'm glad I did, but if you're paying full price, it might not be worth the money.

• Visited April 2013
florida
“Easter Brunch Ripoff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Reservations for 7,including a 5yr.old for12pm on Easter,only few tables occupied...I knew this was going to be a disappointment! It was a buffet with very few options... fresh fruit, cold cuts,scrambled eggs,bacon,fajitas,biscuits&gravy& barbecue ribs which were really the only redeeming offering!
What really p***ed me off was the 20% added gratuity added to an already overpriced buffet...for mediocre food,plus the 5yr.was $12.99 half price& all she ate was 2 pieces of chicken meat for fajitas& shredded cheese.

• Visited March 2013
pap
“Where's the "value/experience"in over priced mediocre food? (2.5)Will not return unless I want soup and appetizer and am alrea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Here's the skinny:
We went on a week night with reservationsfor 8pm ( although un needed, as it was pretty sparse.. Only 3 other couples). Used a savings voucher.

Pros:
Great 19 cent soup ( yes that's the actual price, so worth the price) although a bit salty and I preferred it after adding water to dilute and without pork, although the other loved it as was-prewater and with pork chunks. We both agreed it had an "old soulful southern flavor". Very much worth a taste.

We ordered Two appetizers, one will be discussed in Cons.
We all Loved the fried goat cheese appetizer! Combination of breads, greens and cheese provided a Great mix of flavors!
( by far this was our highlight and what left us optimistic... Too bad for us)

Complimentary Cornbread type concoction with the yummy butter was tasty.

Cornelius! Our wait staff. New hire. Great energy and attentive... Hope he maintains that!

Ok soooo the cons: ( huge exhale)
The 2nd appetizer of the red chili wings were Flavorless( despite 2sauces) and the chicken wings carried the flavor of raw skin (almost like they didn't put ANY seasoning pre baking/frying. Ewww)

Dinner-
I order salmon burger with avocado and tartar etc. too bad it tasted the Complete opposite of the description! Seriously I gagged(not typical of me). I couldn't take it home to revive (season) either wings or my meal like I can often do if it's at least decent.
But hey, the fries(were tastey) too bad I don't eat much carbs

The other meal was rib eye, from one who is a beef connosieur... Well they said could've done better at Chili's. (Mind you they never will even eat at chilis, bc doesn't meet their standards for steaks!)

I left hungry!!!! That's absurd.

In summary: Good waiter. Nice $0.19 soup. Great fried goat cheese appetizer. Manager did notice my food was not touched. I was honest and and worked with us.

Otherwise food overpriced and subpar.

Heres another tid bit-
mid week, parking SUCKED! It took us 12 mins to find parking. Even Looked up orlando rules and Lol still got a ticket. ( look for faded yellow lines even 20 feet from curb ;-)

Orlando, Florida
“Excellent Steak....!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Visited the Funky Monkey offspring - "Prickly Pear Steakhouse" in Orlando, FL before our concert. All was excellent. They had such great food and the steak was perfect. The ambiance is great and outdoor seating is available. It adjoins another Funky Money restaurant offspring - Nick's Italian Kitchen - which is right next door.. so there is no shortage of food in the area. I highly recommend and we WILL be returning....

• Visited February 2013