“We Enjoyed- Hope You Do”

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
pgh,pa
“We Enjoyed- Hope You Do”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We just returned from Universal and decided to give this hotel a try. We are a family of 4 adults and I asked the other 3 to give me their honest opinions and complaints about this hotel so I could give a review that would be helpful to others. Honestly I am surprised at the extremely negative reviews. Maybe since it is Universal property they expect more from a "Value" resort. We have stayed at both moderate and value at Disney and also 2 times at Hard Rock at Universal. Sure HR was nicer but I also payed a lot more. We found all of the staff to be friendly and as helpful as they could. There were some things they were unsure about or forgot to mention, but our first visit at the HR was when they also were only open 3 weeks and they also made mistakes. I assume that is why the rates are reduced now.
The pool area was very nice with plenty of lounge chairs and towels, the slide was fun and we found the music to be entertaining. The drinks were expensive and we all only had one each, but it was nice to have a drink at poolside( there were 3 servers on duty-it was a Saturday- and we got our orders very quickly.
The family suites are not overly big, but we managed well (as I stated my "kids" are grown)
It was nice having 3 areas to get ready with 4 adults. Kitchenette worked for us, we bought food at a Publix and also took restaurant leftovers back to room and heated in microwave. The fridge kept our things cold, plastic plates and bowels and silverware as well as coffee are provided, but you will need to ask for more when needed. Our rooms were clean when we arrived and well taken care of during our 4 nights ( maybe it was because my wife insists on leaving 4$ each morning for the maid). We did not experience any noise out of the ordinary but maybe it was because we faced the parking lot and were on the 4th floor at a corner room( at my request) The mattresses were hard but we slept well. The AC worked well and since it is central it was quiet. There is also a safe and ironing board in the large closet. Also plenty of drawers
We had no trouble finding parking near our room and the in and out key reader worked
We ate one night at Bayside and found it to be what one should expect at a park hotel. We did not think the meals were that expensive and we thought they were good.
Bus system was wonderful, the trip takes about 5 minutes and we waited at most 5 minutes but usually a bus was waiting for us. I wonder how this will work when all of the resort is open and the parks are busier. We definately were lucky and went at a rather slow time. I think it will also help when the walkway is completed.

All in all our main objective was to return to Universal for 3 days and stay at a nice, less expensive convenient hotel for 4 nights. Knowing that most of our time would be at the park and this would mostly be used for sleeping and resting I think our choice was a good one and am glad we stayed here. I did not give it the highest rating because that should be reserved for the truly exceptional but for a new value hotel- close.

One caveat to all this, I checked out using the TV and all looked good and I finished the process. They were then to send me an email receipt which I have not received as of yet. If there is a problem I will make a second review

Room Tip: Ask for top floor as they seem quieter
13 Thank rbross50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,910)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family stayed at Cabana Bay Beach Resort April 24-27, 2014.

We were a bit concerned about staying at a place that had only been open 3 weeks and to add to that, this was our first experience with Universal Orlando.

The resort pool, waterslide, and grounds were beautiful! There were so many extras, such as the sand pit with ping pong tables, pool tables, hula hoops, and a DJ playing music (on request) Friday and Saturday.

The buses for Universal were more than adequate...never waited for one! The fitness center was surprisingly large and well-equipped, with a very nice locker room with showers. My older son used it every evening.

On-site bowling alley and Starbucks are nice amenities. My boys bowled one evening. the cost was $15.00 (+ $4.00 shoe rental) for an hour of bowling. My wife and I sat at a high-top table with a soda and enjoyed watching them interact.

Overall, I had great service, the hotel stay was fun and enjoyable for our family!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Coach_Lange
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Cabana Bay April 6-12, 6 days after opening. I found that everyone that had regular interaction with hotel guests (check in, pool bartender, conceirge desk, store clerks, bus drivers and assistants) to be very, very friendly and tried to be as helpful as possible (although it was sometimes obvious that they did not have all the answers or know where to find them). I thought the room layout was great, with the 3 sectioned bath area, separate sitting are and kitchenette. Definitely plenty of room for a family. The pool area was great with lifeguards, endless supply of clean towels and loungers.
Now the kinks - I noticed that staff that does not have primary guest interaction responsibilities (such as cleaning staff, etc) was not so friendly or considerate. One example I saw was a gentleman coming off of an elevator with a large supply cart (towels, blankets, etc). There was a guest waiting for an elevator and when the employee came off of the elevator, taking some extra time to maneuver his cart, he did not even hold the elevator door for the guest. The elevator door closed and the elevator left the floor, leaving the guest standing there to wait for the elevator to return. While not overtly disrespectful, it was just inconsiderate and not something you would see at just about any other hotel, especially a "resort". I also expereinced having to move out of the way for housekeeping coming through with carts, rather than housekeeping pausing or moving for guests. Again, not overt but yet at a Disney property every single employee would go out of there way to be overly considerate to each and every guests. It makes a huge difference when you're paying resort prices, it just adds (or detracts) from the overall experience.
The other nitpicks that I would have would be: 1) There are NO fans in the bathrooms within the rooms (I've seen other comments that they didn't work but actually there were NONE), which is just unimaginable to me in new construction. 2) The bath towels in the rooms shedded unbelievably. It left a coating of "fuzz" on us after drying off and made the room that much more dusty (noticed a coating of dust over all the furniture, which obviously was not dusted by hotel staff in the 6 nights we were there). I cannot imagine the dust that the staff having to fold these towels are breathing in on a daily basis. They should not have cheaped out on the towels so extremely.
Overall, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay. I'm not sure if we would stay here again since there are so many great properties in Orlando for better prices (I picked this one because of the grand opening special that was just too good to pass up). Plus, we got our fill of Universal in just one week.

Room Tip: Spring for the pool view and do not stay on the ground floor.
7 Thank tkoz73
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Through valuable feedback such as yours, we are able to pinpoint areas where we need to focus with our team. We’re glad you enjoyed the resort and our staff’s efforts.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our towels and the bathroom vent. Our bathrooms do have a ventilation system; however it is not the typical system you find in other resorts. This system pulls the air from a fan deep in the air duct and replaces it with air through the closet. This eliminates any fan noise that you would typically hear.

We appreciate your honesty with regards to our Housekeeping staff and their interaction with other guests. We certainly want to provide an experience to our guests where they feel very much respected and valued, so rest assured that we’ll ensure our team members are fully informed of this for future interaction with guests. We do hope to have you back at Cabana Bay soon!

Have a swell day,

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management
Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a family of 5 check in was ok but instructions as to where our room actually was very unclear. Amenities are very basic from the very basic food court which was expensive. Drinks in the bar or poolside were also expensive.
When you stay in a hotel any hotel you expect to have clean bedding every 3/4 days at least. We were staying here for 14 days after the first night with only a sheet on the bed and a very flimsy bedspread I asked housekeeping for a duvet or some blankets for my 3 children as they were cold the night before and was told they didn't have any!! It was then after a heated discussion with a house keeping supervisor I was given 2 blankets for 3 beds! And one of the blankets was stained. The room was serviced every day but after numerous phone calls to reception and after speaking to house keeping they changed the bedding after 8DAYS at 10pm Totally unacceptable.
Our family will not be staying at this hotel again. When you've had a busy day in the parks or elsewhere all you want at the end of the day is a clean comfortable bed. Cabana bay really need to sort out housekeeping issues.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank taffy073
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We apologize for any inconveniences experienced at our property. We would like the opportunity to discuss the details of your experience further. Please contact us at customerservice@cabanabayorlando.com with the best method to contact you. We look forward to touching base with you soon.

Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management
Flat Rock, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My family stayed at Cabana Bay Beach Resort April 17-21, 2014. We were nervous to stay at a new hotel, and a non-Disney hotel, as this was our first experience with Universal Orlando.
We found the hotel to be quite nice! The family suite was comfortable for our party of 3 adults and 1 child. It was really nice to have the partition for privacy. The bathroom layout was split in 3 parts, which allowed several people to get ready at once. The kitchenette was supplied with paper plates and utensils (although napkins would have been a nice addition).
The resort pool, waterslide, and grounds were beautiful! There were so many extras, such as the sand pit with ping pong tables, pool tables, hula hoops, and more fun play things. The large seating arrangement around the firepit was really nice, too.
The buses for Universal were more than adequate...never waited for one!
The fitness enter was surprisingly large and well-equipped, with a very nice locker room with showers.
On-site bowling alley and Starbucks are nice amenities.

Room Tip: Castaway building, close to the lobby would be a good choice!
5 Thank erinsmom03
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
We’re thrilled to hear that we were your first Universal Orlando Resort experience! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know a little about your experience. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the convenient design of our Family Suites and the wonderful amenities we offer throughout the resort. Thank you for your feedback regarding the napkins in the kitchen. We assure you that this subject will be brought up with our Housekeeping team to ensure that we will provide future guests with napkins. Looking forward to your next stay!

Have a swell day!

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management
Texas
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Okay , If you want Disney deluxe or even any deluxe don't stay here. If you want clean, comfortable and quasy spacious rooms with a nice pool and decent selection of cafeteria diner food to eat go ahead and come by. Read reviews shocked that there was no valet - REALLY? Don't expect it and you won't be disappointed. Just hubby and I here for a trade show and 2 days at US/IOA and needed a place to hang our head. TV channels selection is incredible if you plan on spending much time in room, they had movie nite by the pool all 3 nites with a big blow up screen which is kind of neat. Lots of kids - oh did I mention it's FOR Families and kids so if you don't like kids stay home too (ha,ha). We are childless but expect to see kids at a place like this .Every one was nice and well behaved that I saw , staff included.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the lobby area - Thunderbird is the farthest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OrlandoTravelerTexas
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Cabana Bay is brand new and gorgeous. We were there for two nights but wish we had stayed longer. It has a waterslide, pools, and a great atmosphere. I could have stayed there all day. They have agreat deal too! You buy a cup and it had unlimited drinks whether it be soda or coffee. There is even a bar by the pool for refills. The lobby of the hotel is modeled after the americana in Miami. Loved the reto style dinig hall. They play old commercials and TV shows from the 60's and early 70's. Brought back many child hood memories. The prices on meals were very reasonable. Much cheaper then eating at the parks!! well done Loews!!

8 Thank kelseyct0907